Planting Rate question

Say for instance, you are going to plant a mixture of winter wheat and oats from a drill @ 90 pounds/acre. If you were going to add some clover in @ recommended 10 pounds/acre, would you cut the wheat and oats back to 80 pounds to prevent over crowding? Or does this not matter?

Forest Grump

Yes, it matters, & yes, if you mix cereal grains & clover you reduce both v. what you would plant as a monoculture.

I'd aim for 5 lb/ac of clover (regardless of type) if mixed with a cereal grain, & if drilling, depending a little on row spacing on your drill, about 60-70 lb/ac of cereal grains, if it were me. If you over plant it, you have your plants competing for both moisture & fertilizer, so neither does as well as it should. (With winter crops, you don't have deer totally destroying any of the plants like you might with, say peas or beans, so there is no gain from over planting).

win280

Yes, it matters, & yes, if you mix cereal grains & clover you reduce both v. what you would plant as a monoculture.

I'd aim for 5 lb/ac of clover (regardless of type) if mixed with a cereal grain, & if drilling, depending a little on row spacing on your drill, about 60-70 lb/ac of cereal grains, if it were me. If you over plant it, you have your plants competing for both moisture & fertilizer, so neither does as well as it should. (With winter crops, you don't have deer totally destroying any of the plants like you might with, say peas or beans, so there is no gain from over planting).

This^^^^^^^