Internet service ?

greg_n_clayton

I am useing cable for my service at the present. Don't have home phone because we have 3 cells around here. What, if any, are other options ?? Thinkin' about going back to dish or direct.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I dumped cable two years ago and installed an HD antenna in my attic. I get all the network with excellent reception/picture. I also plugged a computer in to the TV, and use the TV as a monitor to watch movies online via Netflix, etc.

You have to keep your internet service, but other than that, pretty low cost ($7.99/mnth for netflix).

georgia_home

you can keep just the internet part of cable, and ditch the other services.

you can do the same with dsl, if it is available near you. most companies removed the "must have land line" requirement.

if you are using a wireless plan, service by any of the big companies, be careful as you may run into overage charges depending on how heavily you use your internet. many are starting to set GB/month limits and if you are a heavy user, and go over, you may get dinged big time.

no experience with sat internet providers.

pstrahin

No matter what, stay away from Hughes Net. It is without a doubt the worst service I have ever had. I have 5 more months on the contract then I will give them the boot!

Luke0927

At home I have ATT Uverse high speed only no phone or TV.

I have Verizon 4g jetpack for work, upto 10 people can log on, Its fast if your in coverage, but its only a 5GB month plan. Not sure what the overage is, if you are only surfing the web you will be OK but start watching videos and stuff you can hit it.

I also had a sprint one (just switched to Verizon this month) it was unlimited 4G but the coverage didn't even compare to Verizon, but I'm using it mobile. I would see if Sprint will cover your area first.

greg_n_clayton

ok, thanks ya'll. $108 a month for TV and internet is a little steep I think. Don't know what HD antenna would do up here in the mtns. Being a Ham radio op., I know that UHF and VHF is a tough row to hoe up in here, being line of sight signal transmission and receive for thos freqs..

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
The only option I have besides some kind of satelite internet is at&t dsl. I pay for the extreme speed and still have a lot of trouble watching videos and surfing the web at peek times. I wish like crazy I could get cable or uverse, dsl stinks.