Which Bible ?

Lowjack

Which Bible did the Messiah quote from ?
Was it King James or other translation ?:biggrin2:

Artfuldodger

The Early church had Scriptures and we have the Bible. They were searching the Scriptures daily. I just wonder what exactly they were using for Scriptures?
“And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and SEARCHED THE SCRIPTURES DAILY, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed .” (Acts 17:10-12 KJV)

centerpin fan

It was either the original Hebrew or the Septuagint -- probably the former.

OTOH, maybe it was the NIV. :D

rjcruiser

Read my sig line....then...check the sticky at the top of the forum...then delete this thread.

just a little friendly advice.

Artfuldodger

Yes he might have to ask it a different way. The sticky say we can't discuss versions, is translations OK? Maybe ask what book was the scriptures Jesus quoted from?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Read my sig line....then...check the sticky at the top of the forum...then delete this thread.

just a little friendly advice.

I am going to allow some latitude on this thread, albeit very little. If it revolves into a which version is better then it goes. If it stays on topic with what did Jesus use, then it can stay...very fine line on this one.

Lowjack

Yes he did have a Bible which is called the Torah and this is what he studied and taught;
14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
LUKE 4
15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

The First Church of Jerusalem Taught these very same scriptures it was the only Bible then.

Artfuldodger

I am going to allow some latitude on this thread, albeit very little. If it revolves into a which version is better then it goes. If it stays on topic with what did Jesus use, then it can stay...very fine line on this one.

I'm would like to commend you for using logic & common sense on what this thread is about. Point well taken on not turning it into a versions thread.

hobbs27

The First Church of Jerusalem Taught these very same scriptures it was the only Bible then.

I don't think they ever got it all together did they? I know many books are mentioned in the KJV that do not exist such as the book of wars...I studied the book of enoch that was once used by the early Christians, but I guess wasnt available at the time the KJV was assembled or wasnt able to be proved inspired.

I also know they could only carry so much in their frontlets or phylacteries.Jesus being The Word probably didn't have to study much, just my opinion.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Yes he did have a Bible which is called the Torah and this is what he studied and taught;
14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
LUKE 4
15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

Yes I agree he had the Torah. But he was not reading the bible as we know it with both the Old and New Testament.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
And Jesus didn't have it tucked neatly under His forearm as He traveled from one location to another.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Yes I agree he had the Torah. But he was not reading the bible as we know it with both the Old and New Testament.

He couldn't have. No New Testament existed at the time. From what I have read, the first books of the New Testament were written somewhere around 70ad, or about 40 years after Christ's resurrection.

Pappy

Lowjack

And Jesus didn't have it tucked neatly under His forearm as He traveled from one location to another.

No he didn't the story says , the book of Isaiah was brought out to him to read on that service, we all remember he read the passage referring to what the Messiah would do and He said today that has being fulfilled " meaning he was the Messiah.
It was the custom of the synagogues to pull the different books as needed as the pages of the Torah ,Tenach and Book of prophets were very large and heavy.Early Christians who were Jews met in Synagogues so these books were available to them also.

Lowjack

THere are Torahs on Display in Israel which are even older than the Dead sea scrolls;

But the two 7th century BCE silver scrolls containing excerpts from the Bible have pride of place in the exhibition. The valuable scrolls, which are several hundred years older than the Dead Sea Scrolls, contain the oldest Torah texts in existence.

They were discovered in 1979 in the Hinnom Valley near Jerusalem by Israeli archaeologist Gabriel Barkay from Tel Aviv’s Bar-Ilan University.

After three years of meticulous work to unroll the scrolls and conserve the frail silver containers, the material was made available for scientific research. The nearly invisible writing was analysed by Bruce Zuckerman, a professor of Semitic languages at the University of Southern California who had previously worked on the deciphering of Dead Sea Scrolls.

Using a sophisticated digital photography technique, he revealed the scroll’s contents, which included a passage from the fourth book of the Old Testament and the so-called Aaronite priestly blessing.

Barkay said the discovery of this early biblical inscription is an important argument supporting an earlier dating of the Bible.

"I can at least say that these verses existed in the 7th century, the time of the Prophet Jeremiah,” Barkay said. This would make the texts hundreds of years older than the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Attachments

• Torah Sefad.jpg
    Torah Sefad.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 841
  • Torah Old.jpg
    Torah Old.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 826

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

He couldn't have. No New Testament existed at the time. From what I have read, the first books of the New Testament were written somewhere around 70ad, or about 40 years after Christ's resurrection.

Pappy

I think you mis-read my post.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Looking at the pic above, it must have been tough toting the Bible to church, or synagogue, or wherever. I know when I was a kid, not bringing a Bible to church was just as bad as cussin'.

To the OP, it was the KJV. Everybody knows that.

Artfuldodger

And now you can put the bible on your Ipad.
I believe it was more than one source as Scriptures is plural. Jesus did study in the synagogue when he was younger didn't he?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Messiah is the Word of God. He read from the Torah, from the book of Isaiah, in accordance with the religious custom of the day. But He did not need the scroll. He is the Word!