Kicks gobblin choke with hevi shot 31/2 inch bullets?

wellwood

I know kicks says not to use hevi shot out of there chokes but I was just curious if any of you shoot hevi's anyways?

Last edited:

fullstrut

Sold mine Kicks and bought a Indian Creek for that reason. Would not chance it.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Sold mine as well. Lots of folks do shoot Hevi-Shot out of them but they tell you not to for a reason.

fullstrut

Just Camo a motocycle helmet to wear when hunting or field testing shots. You should be ok!

Brad C.

Guys Charlie will tell you it's ok to shoot Win Xtended Range loads out of the Kicks chokes from what I have been told but not Hevi-13. Both are using the exact same 12g/cc of shot. So somebody isn't telling the whole truth. And I often wonder if Charlie isn't getting a kickback from recommending Winchester loads all these years. Remember Charlie used to shoot a lot of lead Winchester shells back in 97, 98, 99 when he won the NWTF shoots with Comp-n-Choke and Kicks chokes.

Brad C.

I have only heard of one person who said that they had problems with a Kicks choke shooting Hevi-13 through it. And that was on this forum from a guy here. I think I ask to see the picture and the details, but never got an answer.

I have shot Hevi-13 in a lot of different chokes including some that said lead only. I have yet to have a single issue. Kicks is a super thick 17-4(ph) stainless steel choke, and correct me if I am wrong on that. And that is in fact the exact same steel that the other choke manufacturers are using on their chokes that are Hevi-Shot approved. But I see no reason whatsoever it wouldn't be able to shoot Hevi-13 loads through it. And several people have without one single issue. Go figure.

The old Hastings chokes were made from 17-4(ph) stainless steel as well. And they were made prior to the Hevi-Shot craze and said lead only on them. I have shot Hevi-13 through them w/o a single mishap. Those chokes were built like a tank.

Another example is the old Rem .655 Ventilator choke that said lead only. Now I can't verify if that choke was made out of 17-4(ph) stainless steel, but if I had to guess I would say it was. That choke does very well with Hevi-13 loads. Never had an issue. My buddy's son killed a turkey with that choke and Hevi-13 last spring. I told him to keep it. He loves that choke in his 870.

Last edited: