20 vs 12 gauge turkey rig....

Hammack

Guys, I am more of a rifleman than a shotgunner, and only been really geting started in hunting turkeys a few years. I have a 12 gauge 870 supermag that I have been using but was considering going with a 20 this year. Anyone have any opinions? How much would I be giving up by going with the 20 over the 12?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs. of weight depending on guns. And what was said above...

01Foreman400

Staff member
You won't get the pattern density with a 20 ga. that can be had with a 12 ga. but with the right choke/shell combo you can still have a 50 yard gun with a 20 ga.

deast1988

X2

You won't get the pattern density with a 20 ga. that can be had with a 12 ga. but with the right choke/shell combo you can still have a 50 yard gun with a 20 ga.

Not as many hits as a 12 but I feel every bird inside of 45yds from me is in the danger zone when I'm holding my 20ga.

Nannyman

The HTL loads have made the 20ga very relevant. Hevi Shot and Fed HW are good choice for these guns. The TSS loads many of us shoot make a 20ga equal to if not better than any 12ga with factory loads.

John

Core Lokt

Like said, you'll gain a loss in weight. There are 20's out there that are just as good as a 12 from what I've seen. I have a 870 with a 28" tube and an extra full choke that will kill one at 40 all day long shooting win x range 5's. But. no matter what I shoot I prefer my shots 30 or closer. I like them close, that's turkey hunting to me.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I have an old Model 12 Winchester 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch. Would the HTL shot harm the barrel?

MKW

I have an old Model 12 Winchester 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch. Would the HTL shot harm the barrel?

Nope...it will be fine. Get some Federal HW 7s in 2 3/4" and I bet it will pattern very well.

Mike

blong

Here is what I have shooting a 20 ga. I hate it won't shoot with the 12's!:huh:
20gapat.jpg

Brad C.

Nope...it will be fine. Get some Federal HW 7s in 2 3/4" and I bet it will pattern very well.

Mike

Mike would sure know. He kills a ton each year with a 20GA. And just think of the less weight he has to pack. That more and more is making me in my older days of thinking of going the 20GA route. Less kick and less weight makes for a happier turkey hunter with probably less wear and tear on the hunter.

icdedturkes

Mike would sure know. He kills a ton each year with a 20GA. And just think of the less weight he has to pack. That more and more is making me in my older days of thinking of going the 20GA route. Less kick and less weight makes for a happier turkey hunter with probably less wear and tear on the hunter.

I am not ancient like MKW.. BUt I switched to the 20, 6 or so years ago and have not looked back.. Everywhere I have went hunting turkeys I have never felt undergunned..

But with that being said if you are completely comfortable in the recoil, weight etc of your 12 gauge there really is no reason to go to the 20..

bull0ne

Banned
Geritol, the AARP discount and 20 gauges for turkey hunting generally come about during the same period in life. ::ke: :bounce:

nhancedsvt

Banned

Not as many hits as a 12 but I feel every bird inside of 45yds from me is in the danger zone when I'm holding my 20ga.

With 3" shells my 20 gauge will outpattern EVERY 12 gauge in my house any day of the week the way they are setup.

Having hunted with my 20 gauge a few years I see no advantage in going back to a 12 gauge.

blong

Nice pattern. Your 20 ga. still won't shoot with a 12 ga. with TSS. facepalm:

I may be wrong, but I don't remember seeing a 12 pattern Tss 8's over 300 in 10". I just got lucky with my 20 combo though, it loves the 8's. It has outshot everything that we have tried at our camp.

J Gilbert

bull0ne said:
Geritol, the AARP discount and 20 gauges for turkey hunting generally come about during the same period in life.

Interesting concept considering I'm 24 and have hunted with one for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Care to explain your thought process here?

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

bull0ne

Banned
Interesting concept considering I'm 24 and have hunted with one for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Care to explain your thought process here?

Posted from Gon.com App for Android

It's called sarcasm laced with a side order of humor. Try some. Tastes better than the OCDish rants and pointless debates we've been seeing as of late. :cheers:

Given the time to do the work up, I will probably go to a 410 with TSS handloads myself.

hawglips

Banned
It's all in how you load it.

MackUSCG

Mossberg 835 Tactical 12 gauge:
Kick's GT Choke
Winchester Supreme 3.5" with 2oz of #6's

This gun vaporizes birds out to 50 yds (If I needed to)

Mossberg Super Bantam 20 gauge:
Sumtoy Custom Choke
Federal Heavyweight 3" with 1 1/2oz of #7's

This gun kills out to 50 yards (If I needed to)

On hot days I take the 20 gauge because its lighter. Cold mornings or mornings where I hunt clear cuts and pine rows/roads I take the cannon. BOTH of these guns are devastating on birds.

Attachments

• TheTurkeySlayers.jpg
    TheTurkeySlayers.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 442