What do yall think? (Long Post)

Taylor123

I have been deer hunting the same piece of property for 3 years going on four. Land owner has never let me turkey hunt until this year, so I have not been at this land the past few springs because I am to busy hunting other areas. Now, I know turkeys have their specific area they go to during the winter and another specific place in the spring. We see a few in the winter deer hunting but heres the question. When July rolls around and we start preparing our food plots turkeys are EVERYWHERE! We always see poults and hens all over the place. And in september when we plant we have had to replant because the turkeys will destroy some of our small plots. So I know the area is full of them. But in the past week I have been there three times. Saturday evening I seen 15-20 hens with 1 strutter out in the front in a pasture. As I scouted on the rest of the property I found no turkey tracks, very little scratching and only a couple droppings. And the past 2 mornings I have been there to listen and have not heard a peep. No gobble, or hens talking. When do yall think these turkeys will move back in? Like I said they are always there in July and on. Which leads me to believe the hens should be coming because they feel safe to raise their little ones on our property. Im just wandering where are they at now?

Core Lokt

How much land is it? they could be there but not showing sign where you are looking. Sounds crazy I know but last Friday I looked around some and walked a fire break and saw 1 gobbler track. took my girl the next morning to the same location and saw 2 gobblers and heard 2 more, saw several hens as well but none of them had been in the dirt break and left a track. Only hear 2 gobblers but saw 4 and I'm sure it was 4 different birds, not the same 2.

I'd bet the birds are there but not fired up yet. If you can hunt it I would. good luck.

hoppie

Yeah all depends. Birds could be there just missed their major haunts. However, I had a 200 track a few years ago that we barely saw a bird out of turkey season. Every year about 2-3 weeks prior to opening day the birds flooded the property. Who knows. Could be in area now or might move in, but if they have been there I would definitely keep looking.

Taylor123

the land totals 350 acres. The back is approximately 250 acres of a mix of hardwoods, pines, creek bottoms and food plots. All mature timber. The front is approximately 100 acres of pasture land.

Headsortails

I would walk the wood/pasture line. I have always found birds to be less active and less noisy on cold mornings. As the mornings warm up, they will be sound off more. Where will the gobblers be? Where the hens are!

JimLandt

Turkeys, especially gobblers, move a lot and can easily move around a few miles in a day, a week and during the season. I wouldn't give up on the place just yet, because you only saw one gobbler. If you've got that many hens, they will settle down to closer areas once they start laying and setting on their clutches. Give the place a try. If you don't have gobblers there one day, try another place. Don't be afraid to come by and try that same place later too.

I bowhunted a piece of archery only public land that used to be about 1350 acres. One season I went at least 2-3 days every week and was lucky to get on one or two birds per week. Then I went one day in mid-April, after a hard rain. I saw 14 jakes, 7 two-olds, 3 three-year olds and one monster boss with a harem of hens, all within a few hours, within 1/4 square mile I'd hunted many times over. I didn't kill one (not unusual for bowhunting public land), but while I was driving away that afternoon, there were gobblers out walking along the roads all over, as I drove 20 miles back home.

You just never know... Meteorologists speak like they know what the weather is going to do. We all know they're more like astrologers. Predicting turkey behavior is less accurate, though some people will say they know. LOL!

Taylor123

Thanks yall. I know the turkeys are around and trust me I aint giving up. I aint even started yet. But I will be carrying the gun somewhere else tommorow for the opener. In my opinion, I think they will be there in a couple weeks. The hens are still bunched up around here and the birds aint ready. Im in North AL by the way.