Where to learn fly fishing?

Jigmaster

I have a niece that is wanting to learn to fly fish. I am a bass fisherman and don't know anything about fly fishing and don't care to learn. But I want to find somewhere my niece can get started. Any helpful information will be appreciated. Thanks.

centerpin fan

All of the local fly shops have beginners' classes. I'm sure the same goes for the various Trout Unlimited chapters.

JKnieper

Here's another good option. I've taken three casting classes here:

http://www.atlantaflyfishingschool.com/

I have heard great things about atlanta fly fishing school.

I'm not sure how old your niece is but another option might be to call John Scalley at riverthroughatlanta.com. My now 14 year old and I have fished several times with John and he is great with kids. As I recall he has a daughter that is about the same age as my son. While we hired him for a guided trip on the hooch and not really fly fishing lessons each time we went he spent an incredible amount of his time instructing my son on fly fishing technique, reading water and entomology. My son learned a lot and caught fish too!

jigman29

Learning from a pro is money well spent.Any bad habits learned from a person that doesn't know are hard to break.I would definitely spend the time and money on hiring someone.

The mtn man

I have a cousin that lives in White county that took lessons from the shop in Helen, not sure how it went this was years ago. He seemed to enjoy it he was about your neices age at the time, he never really took to flyfishing though.

JayBird1969

http://www.orvis.com/atlanta
Fly Fishing 101 & 201
Class spaces are limited. Call or stop by to reserve a spot.

Fly Fishing 101
Learn fly-fishing basics in one of our free Fly Fishing 101 classes. Perfect for beginners of all ages, the Fly Fishing 101 course includes free lessons on fly casting and outfit rigging.

April: 12, 13, 19, and 26
May: 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31
June: 7, 14, and 21
July: 5

Fly Fishing 201
If you’ve already completed Fly Fishing 101, you’re ready for the next step. Join us for a short outing on local water and a chance to catch your first fish! A nominal fee for the outing may apply.

May: 4 and 18
June: 8, 15, 22, and 28

A free Trout Unlimited Membership—a $35 value—is included for all FF101 and FF201 graduates. Upon completion of the course, you will receive special in-store offers, valid for the purchase of Orvis products.

Please see store associates or call 404-841-0093 for details.