Bush hog questions

Lonesome00

I am in the market for a bush hog to use behind both my 2N and 9N tractors. I have used them many times in the past but know little about them. What size should I get that will not be too big for my old Fords? Because I cannot afford a new one I am looking for a good used one. What should I look for in a used one? I know if the gears are bad it is better to just get a new one. But what else should I look for? Other than an overriding clutch, no other mods are necessary, correct?

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
4'-5' bushawg is all you're going to handle, if buying used be sure and test first. I've got a 6' "Bushhawg" brand. Blades are cheap at Agri Supply.

Scrapy

Banned
First check the gearbox oil level. Pick it up and check the bottom seal and top seal for leaks. wiggle the pto shaft and check for slop. Check the pto coupler for wear. You might have to get an adapter for the little pto shaft coming out of the tractor. An overriding clutch is a must have but likely won't come with the bush hog. The frame should be solid but the braces that run from the 3pt hitch to the trailwheel needs to be chain or have chain in it so it can pivot.
All _N models are notorious for lifts that don't stay where you put them. If you are just cutting grass you might want to consider a finish mower because they have wheels front and back so you can set it down and forget it.

We ran an 8N for years, till someone stole it.

I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 4'. Also, we made sure to run stablizer bars on it to keep the mower from swinging too much. They are easy to find, and not too much money.

You want to check the bottom seal above all. If you can, run the bush hog a while to get the gears heated up, because a sharpy will put grease in the gear box to get a leaking seal to seal up.

Lonesome00

Four foot is what I was thinking as well. I do not want to over work my old tractor.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
We ran an 8N for years, till someone stole it.

I wouldn't run anything bigger than a 4'. Also, we made sure to run stablizer bars on it to keep the mower from swinging too much. They are easy to find, and not too much money.

You want to check the bottom seal above all. If you can, run the bush hog a while to get the gears heated up, because a sharpy will put grease in the gear box to get a leaking seal to seal up.

Exactly right, stabilizer bars are a must.