Why do contractors NOT call you back?

I need some work done at my house.......I don't negotiate price (I agree to what is quoted).......I sometimes overpay......YET I can't get a returned call from contractors.....If you are a contractor, can you explain why?

A a salesperson myself, I return calls to say I can't help because you never know where you will meet that person again. Are you making too much money? Why?

T.P.

Banned
Is it a small project? If it is a small project that I don't want to mess with I will at least call back and recommend someone else.

Is it a small project? If it is a small project that I don't want to mess with I will at least call back and recommend someone else.

Your answer is 100% logical........but why no call at all BEFORE you've even figured out the scope of the project?

groundhawg

I am not a contractor but have had about the same problem. Been trying to get a bathroom remodeled and called several folks in the Newnan area. Two called back and even came to the house, quoted priced and time to complete the work.

Choose one and he was to return the next week. Did not show up. I called several (3) times and left messages. Never heard back from him.

mattuga

Banned
The couple friends I know doing remodels are getting a lot more work than usual. I have contractor clients turning down big commercial renovation work.

Not calling back is just no excuse but he may have landed a larger job. Spring is always a busy time for home remodeling as well.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had a Plummer start some work for me, after about 2 days he never returned. I have called him over and over. This guy has material and labor tied up in this work and will not come back and finish about 10% that is remaining. Beats me.:huh:

holton27596

Over the past couple of years I have needed well diggers, electricians, etc. Ive had about 1 in 4 bother to return my calls, must be nice to have that much business. Coley electric did drop a couple of electricians from their referral list when they found out they would not return calls.

T-N-T

I have been in the remodel business before.
If it sounds like too much to hassle, too small a job to profit or etc. you might get dropped. Some people would rather not quote than offend you with a high quote.
some people are just too busy in the spring to return calls. After all, you dont get paid to talk on the phone.

Some people are just bad at business.

i, return calls. And refer to others if need be.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Most, but not all people that do that kind of work are good at their skill but are not very good business people. A good business person will call everyone back even if they can't get to the job. When the economy tanks again, they will be the 1st ones to go belly up.

srb

I try to call everyone back in a timely matter....Around 1/ 2 days! Then I tell them many weeks many many , Then if they can't wait I suggest someone else!

swamp hunter

I've had bad calls from customers right at the Get Go'
I've got all the stuff you need already.
No you don't, you were gonna do the job yourself and now your in a Bind.
It's an Easy job...won't take you much time...
I'm a Contractor from up north and WE'LL get it done in a day or 2...
How much are you going to Charge me...over the phone , sight unseen.
I also try to call everybody back...But I ain't sitting at a desk and I don't have an Office Girl....Got Tools in my hand right now...:whip:

1gr8bldr

Not that I am guilty of this..... maybe slightly in a different way. Business is booming right now. It has exploded. The jobs that 2 years ago were what we survived on are now small jobs. Many times a contractor comes out and looks at a job and thinks he is not interested and will not tell you so, he just don't take your calls. Many of us get tired of bidding jobs that never happen. Sometimes you can just tell when someone is wasting your time. But I have been wrong about this. Sometimes those seemingly shopping will pull the trigger and put you to work. I once bid a huge addition only to find out it was already being built. The guy wanted to see if what he was being charged was fair. Other times, contractors are drowning in work and have intentions of calling but don't. LOL, I often wonder if I have forgotten anybody. To be professional, you should tell them something right away. Either give them another name to call or try to fit them in. The problem is that most people that I would recommend are busy also. To find someone not busy is usually the unlicensed crowd who does not have the resources to do a quality job. Sometimes the tasks are small and you know you will never get, for example, your tile guy to come do a small job knowing he is covered up with more profitable jobs. And if he does come, the price will be inflated. For me, my guilt is that I am guilty of stalling. I put off quotes that I say will take me a couple weeks when the truth is that I could do it within a few days. It is usually a relief to just get it behind me. I feel obligated not to keep them waiting over two weeks, but then I hope they take a month to think about it. Mercy, drowning is the best way to describe it. I have not had a day off since Christmas. I have worked all day building, with evening meetings, quotes, drawing plans, figuring materials, etc. I need a day off. There is no excuse for someone not calling you back, or stringing you along. But I am not surprised. For me I have a reputation to uphold and calling you back, being professional is a major aspect of that reputation. My work is only word of mouth. Mercy, If I advertised I would never get caught up. So those who don't call you back actually do you a favor. If they have no pride in their prefessionalism, then likely they would not have pride in their work. LOL, you might think, why are you posting on here if your so busy. It helps me relax. Puts my mind in neutral, not always, but if I don't find something to neutralize my mind, I will lay in bed and build all night. Planning how I will do this or that

SowGreen

I always call people back, no matter what the situation is. If I go look at a job I'm going to take the time to bid it because my time is already invested. I have turned down a few jobs that were not described properly on the initial phone call but I let the customer know.

To answer your question here are some reasons that I can think of. There's still no excuse for no call back though.

1) They're not good business people and not good at talking to people.

2) They are too busy.

3) The job is too small.

4) The job is too big.

5) The job is out of their expertise.

6) They got a bad vibe from the customer and don't want to deal with them.

7) The customer asked for insurance and they don't have insurance.

shakey gizzard

In a perfect world, we'd all like to" pick and choose"! Some jobs are just "a can of worms"!

tree cutter 08

Most good contractors stay covered up. Not that it's good to not return calls but I can see when it's easy to forget to call someone back. When you check your phone at lunch and you've had nearly 20 voicemails already it gets overwhelming. And like said above it gets old giving estimates knowing folks are just price shopping. Best thing I have done was remove my number from the phone book. That has eliminated at least 95% of price shoppers. All my work is repeat or word of mouth. Most folks that I work for know I might not get back with them for a day or to but their patient and willing to wait. When your a small outfit and want to keep it that way it's tough keeping up with everything especially this time of year.

John2

I have had the same problem. I had a pipe break. Flooded half the house including the kitchen. Not a small job, but so many contractors don't seem to want the work. Taking much longer than expected to complete.

1gr8bldr

I had to cut someone loose yesterday. I had not yet given them a quote yet and after giving it much thought, I decided I had better tell them that I did not have time. They had hoped that I could work them in between my big jobs. I guess I did give them that idea. They may be upset with me, but I had rather know that I did this for their benefit, not mine. Dang, I hate to turn work away.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm a home builder.

All the subs are covered up with work right now.

I turned down 3 build jobs a couple weeks ago because the folks all seemed to be too high maintenance.

It's a seller's market in construction right now and everyone wants the low hanging fruit.