Need Help: Do you ever set up without knowing if turkeys are nearby?

PharmD

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to turkey hunting and have just started taking more interest in the thunder bird. I have owned my 80 acres near Morgan county for around 6 years and have seen and heard many turkeys in the past. My property backs up to thousands of acres of national forest with a duck pond separating the property lines.

I headed out last weekend with decoys and my owl hoot early in the morning. I hooted at a few spots and heard nothing. While I have seen several turkeys walk under my stand in the fall, I have not scouted where they are at in the spring.

My real question is - am I wasting my time setting up in a good location (creek, 1/2 acre food plot, hardwoods) without hearing any gobbles or seeing any turkeys on the roost? Should I only hunt the days I hear/see turkeys?

I know most will say I need to spend more time scouting, which I agree, but I am just trying to get your thoughts on whether a tom will still come in to a good setup even if he has not responded to the owl hoot or box call.

I appreciate any feedback from you all - my goal is to become a better turkey hunter and spend more time in the woods this spring.

spydermon

yes, evening hunts go like that for me mostly, but quiet morning and I will do the same. use trail cams where you can

no owl hooters..let nature take care of that for you. let the woods wake up on its own. that is an education tool. you will need a crow call from say 8 o clock on...(sparingly)

scout for sign, tracks, strut marks...use trail cameras on roads, food plots

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
With only one morning listening / hunting you really cant answer that question.

If you "know" there using the area but its just a quite morning. Its a good tactic.

If there "not" using the area. You will get plenty of time to think about it.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Here's my thoughts, and I am no pro by any means....

Alot of reports a very little gobbling so far this year, so be patient.

Second, from my experience, turkeys live in different areas in the fall than they do the spring, the leases I've had that are covered in Turkey during deer season are often void or limited of turkeys. The leases I've had that had little to no sign of Turkey in the fall usually have a good many turkey in the spring.

Again, I don't claim to be a pro, but it is my observation.

OneBadDawg

Here's my thoughts, and I am no pro by any means....

Alot of reports a very little gobbling so far this year, so be patient.

Second, from my experience, turkeys live in different areas in the fall than they do the spring, the leases I've had that are covered in Turkey during deer season are often void or limited of turkeys. The leases I've had that had little to no sign of Turkey in the fall usually have a good many turkey in the spring.

Again, I don't claim to be a pro, but it is my observation.

+1 that's just the nature of hunting. Following the sign and trust your instincts

Core Lokt

I would not setup if I have never seen turkeys on a property. I would setup blind if I knew the property has turkeys on it. I would hunt mornings first to figure this out and look for sign. Good luck