Finally...

Core Lokt

Let me first say that the Lord provided some great turkey hunting weather this past weekend!

Me and a buddy hunted a huge clear cut Saturday. Not hearing much gobbling so far this season we were rather surprised to hear a gobble about 300 yds away across the cut. Shortly after a different bird fired off and then another and another and another, 5 gobbling birds!! 4 of them were across the cut and one 3-400 yds to our east on the same edge that we were on. We were sitting under a tall box stand and could only see 50 yards towards the group of gobbling birds due to a big pile of tree tops that was left from the cut. The birds hit the ground at 7:15 with 2 gobbling nonstop.

Not being able to see the birds was a little aggravating so after a few minutes I eased up the steps to the stand and could see 2 of them about 250 out walking slowly our way going in and out of strut every other step and could hear a 3rd one gobbling but couldn't see him. I eased back down and got situated and told my buddy what I had seen. The plan was for him to shoot one and then I would shoot one if any hung around. What seemed like 30 minutes were only about 10 and they never gobbled again. There was only one way that they could come to us around the pile. There is a slight rise/hump in elevation between us and the pile and I see the top of a fan go up and then 1 turkey appears at 50 going in and out of strut.

He stands tall looking for the hens that he had heard, stretched and flapped his wings and puffed back up taking a few steps towards us. 1 bird on the other side of the pile starts double and triple gobbling but not moving. The turkey that we can see gets to about 35 and I tell my buddy to shoot him but he can't get a clean shot. The bird starts to turn away so I cluck to get him to stand tall and I shoot. The bird drops and never moves at all, first for me. When I shot 3 other gobblers jump up about 10' and hit the ground out of site. Next thing I see 2 of them running up to my bird and my buddy shoots and misses.... He has missed 3 times this season and 3-4 in the last 20 years LOL.

We go over to look at my bird and my buddy looks down and finds a big spear point, luck CensoredCensoredCensored!!

We go back Sunday morning and the birds were gobbling a quarter mile to the East across the cut. 3-4 of them. We make a move and got about 200 yards from them but couldn’t see them due to a small hill between us and them. A group of hens got fired up with them and the turkeys gobbled good for 20-30 minutes after fly down but we could never get them to come our way. We had to leave at 9 and when we did we spotted a gobbler in the top of a dead tree going in and out of strut. Not sure why he was in the tree alone at that time of day.

Core Lokt

Thanks guys. It's has been a weird season so far and it goes out Sunday for us. We got some more hunting to do yet though. gotta get my buddy a bird. taking off tomorrow with the chance of rain...