After market turkey chokes

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I started turkey hunting with an Auto-5 30 inch fixed choke shotgun. After a few years, I graduated to a dedicated turkey gun using an extra full choke. Last year, I joined the aftermarket choke group and picked one up.

I know that there is a sack full of choke manufacturers and everyone seems to have their favorite. My question is: How much real difference is there between manufacturers in a .665 choke? My thinking is can't be much.

fountain

You'd be surprised. Different designs/internals will make them shoot different. Another thing to note is to check poi/poached because it will likely change with each choke change

Bubba_1122

I always thought all the aftermarket choke conversation was sort of like fishing gear sales. Designed more to catch fishermen than fish.

But last year I was setting up a 870 in 20 gauge using TSS shells (Big XLS). Different chokes of the same constriction had very different tendencies and results.

Thankfully my third choke (Tightwad) gave me the patterns I was looking for.

Interestingly, Trulock (who I've always used for general chokes) was the worst of those I tried.