Auto repair question

jdgator

I dropped my 2013 Z71 off at a collision center at a chevy dealership to do body repair. When they returned the keys to me the zero oil pressure alarm was going off. Vehicle was undrivable. Alarm bells going off, etc. Shut off engine message flashing.

Obviously I couldn't leave the place.

I feel like they shouldn't have given me the vehicle in this condition. They should have called and told me there was a problem. There were like 15 miles put on the vehicle in the time they had it. It seems unlikely that nobody noticed it.

Should I complain to service dept manager or just choke it up to a coincidence? It's a reputable operation i normally trust for maintenance, etc. Should I call the manager or no?

Too much of a coincidence for me or my vehicle. I'd call the manager, owner and if it's a "dealership" I'd continue up the chain.

You trust the place from prior experiences there, I'm thinking. Do you know all the folks that work there? Know how the keys are secured at night? Know that the teenage car washer didn't get a hold of the keys for a joyride?

Me neither......:huh:

Ajohnson0587

Its pretty rare a body shop puts that many miles on a vehicle. What did you have done? Also did you check the oil level when you noticed the oil lights & alarms going off? Was it low? Some 2007-2013 GM trucks had an issue with oil consumption due to a faulty PCV, so it may have been a coincidence that the lights & alarms going off, Especially if the oil level was low and vehicle may have been parked on a surface that wasn't completely flat. The level may have been low when you dropped the truck off and the circumstances may have been just right to cause the light to come on. If these things aren't the case, then I'd talk to the manager.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Minor collision normally won't cause oil trouble, but if your radiator or oil cooler was ruptured then it may have caused trouble. 15 miles is excessive for a body shop to put on a customers vehicle. Shop is only responsible for wreck related damage, but they should have made you aware of this problem. I would contact them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
could the sensor have been damaged in the collision, or maybe the wiring to the sensor damaged?

NOYDB

BANNED
Not all damage is visible. Was it towed in or driven in?

Contact manager, car should never been returned to you undrivable.

You paying or insurance claim?

Lukikus2

I would have already raised cain with the manager. Can you prove the 15 miles? That's all you got.

jdgator

I would have already raised cain with the manager. Can you prove the 15 miles? That's all you got.

I can prove mileage. They recorded mileage at drop off and pick up on my receipt. 15 miles. My truck was started and stopped 14 times.

The body repairs are impeccable. Perfect.

I'm not blaming dealership for oil problem. Just thinking they should have warned me there was an issue so I could make arrangements.

Lukikus2

I can prove mileage. They recorded mileage at drop off and pick up on my receipt. 15 miles. My truck was started and stopped 14 times.

The body repairs are impeccable. Perfect.

I'm not blaming dealership for oil problem. Just thinking they should have warned me there was an issue so I could make arrangements.

Just body repairs or frame also? If they had to straighten the frame they would need to drive it and check tread wear.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Just body repairs or frame also? If they had to straighten the frame they would need to drive it and check tread wear.

I wouldn't think so, not with the 4 wheel alignment systems they have now.

DAVE

Everything has a beginning. Maybe the warning lights did not come on when the body shop had it. It is a very common problem with gm 8 cylinder engines to have the oil sender switch to fail or the oil sender switch / lifter filter to clog up. Why wouldn't a reputable shop drive your vehicle after repair for quality control? If this was an insurance job you can bet the insurance is going to say what I believe and that is a mechanical problem that has nothing to do with the collision repair.

Last edited:

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Did you drive the vehicle to them or tow it? If you drove it in, I wouldn't budge on having them fix it, they may have broke a connector or wiring, who knows, if it was towed in from the accident, it should be fixed from the original claim, it wasn't a problem for the accident.

jdgator

Dealership said it's none of their business if a vehicle's maintenance lights activate or if any mechanical alarms go off if it comes in for body work.

Backlasher82

Hard to say with the lack of info provided but assuming that you drove it in and there was no problem, you keep up with maintenance and it isn't out of oil, never had oil problems before, etc, and that the bodywork repairs required removal of parts such as fenders or other front end parts, I would suspect they pinched the oil sensor wire.

Or a completely unrelated coincidence.

GoldDot40

Just now seeing this thread. Figured I'd put my 2 cents in. Did you check the oil level when it was giving the alarm? How bad was the damage for the reason it was taken in for repair? If it was front end damage, is there an oil cooler up there that needed replacing? A hard enough lick can sometimes cause certain sensors/electronics to malfunction.

Kinda hard to say about the 15 miles. It's possible the repair called for a road test. Example, when I was in auto service and road tested a vehicle, I'd sometimes take it on the bypass around Athens...which is 18 miles around. Was there any suspension or frame damage?

If it was nothing more than a bumper, fender or quarter panel, I'd say that would not warrant 15 miles of anything. I'd certainly be on the phone with the manager demanding answers.