Atheist minister

drippin' rock

Your question was predicated upon your, and perhaps some others, being fully self aware. I don't know what that means to you.

The rest of the post spelled it out, but again- we contemplate how we effect others, and how we are perceived by others. When I say people are crazy, I don't always add the aside that I know I'm imperfect as well. I see you do that more than a few times and wonder at the need to express the acknowledgement.

jmharris23

Lots of ministers preach "what would Jesus do", but few if any actually live it.
I cannot imagine she is in it to spread whatever word she wants spread without personal gain.

I think a lot more live it than you might realize. For every guy you see preaching on TV or on the news for bilking people of their money, there are a lot more guys and gals who are working hard to do what they think is right based on what they believe, with nothing but good intentions.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I think a lot more live it than you might realize. For every guy you see preaching on TV or on the news for bilking people of their money, there are a lot more guys and gals who are working hard to do what they think is right based on what they believe, with nothing but good intentions.
"There are a lot more guys and gals who are working hard to do what they think is right based on what they believe with nothing but good intentions"

I don't doubt that.
But it is a far cry from WWJD and actually doing it...living it.
Doing what they think is right based on what they believe paints a wide swath.

jmharris23

"There are a lot more guys and gals who are working hard to do what they think is right based on what they believe with nothing but good intentions"

I don't doubt that.
But it is a far cry from WWJD and actually doing it...living it.
Doing what they think is right based on what they believe paints a wide swath.

Ok....well what I meant was I know a lot of pastors, since I am one, and the vast majority of them, way more than the poor examples that are paraded out on TV for all to see, are doing what Jesus would do to the very best of their ability.

The media has no need to show nightly news stories with the headline.

"Local Pastor Does what Jesus Would Have Him Do Faithfully for 50 Years."

Israel

BANNED
The rest of the post spelled it out, but again- we contemplate how we effect others, and how we are perceived by others. When I say people are crazy, I don't always add the aside that I know I'm imperfect as well. I see you do that more than a few times and wonder at the need to express the acknowledgement.

Perhaps because none of us live in a vacuum. We rarely know how we affect others, other than that we may recognize, to some extent, we do. Feedback may come, but is not always discerned, and sometimes, not even imagined in how (it comes).
As for myself, I think the butterfly effect (in one basic understanding) is closest I could come in describing an outlook to you. If you could receive that every thought and even intent affects all, which are far more "personal" and less blatant than actions...well, if you could receive that, you might not be far from understanding how a man could come to love grace...and his need of it.

Last edited:

centerpin fan

For the record, my "JM Harris Miracle Healing Cloth" was well worth the investment.

;) :biggrin3:

jmharris23

For the record, my "JM Harris Miracle Healing Cloth" was well worth the investment.

;) :biggrin3:

I'm glad! I need to bless a few more "believers" with them if you have any friends who would like to buy.....I mean donate some money for my "ministry."

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Ok....well what I meant was I know a lot of pastors, since I am one, and the vast majority of them, way more than the poor examples that are paraded out on TV for all to see, are doing what Jesus would do to the very best of their ability.

The media has no need to show nightly news stories with the headline.

"Local Pastor Does what Jesus Would Have Him Do Faithfully for 50 Years."
Yeah, i immediately rule out the TV ministers for the reasons you mention. In essence, they dont count.
You are talking about decent caring people and I get that. I am confident you do your best and are well liked because of it.
But, you are not "Jesus" material.

Jesus wasnt married.
Jesus didnt use parish money.
Jesus didnt have a nice car.
Jesus didn't have a nice house.
Jesus didn't wear nice clothes.
Jesus didn't have a church.

Jesus lived very sparsely. He didnt have possessions. Jesus followed the bible.

This, while extreme, is noteworthy
The Bible offers several different ways to tell if someone is behaving in a Christian way. Is your Minister, Pastor or Priest following the Bible's prescriptions? Here are four of the most important:

#1 - Christians keep quiet

In Matthew 6:5-8, Jesus tells Christians how to pray:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
Does your Minister, Pastor or Priest pray in public like a hypocrite? Does he babble on and on? If so, he is defying Jesus.

#2 - Christians keep quiet

In 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12, Christians are encouraged to live quietly:

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Is your Minister, Pastor or Priest living a quiet life, working with his hands and minding his own business?

#3 - Christians do not have wealth

In Matthew 6:19-21, Jesus tells his followers to give up on possessions:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
In Matthew 19:21 Jesus says:
"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Does your Minister, Pastor or Priest live in a nice house, drive a nice car, wear nice clothes? Why? Why isn't he listening to Jesus?

#4 - Christians can demonstrate that they are Christians

In Mark 16:17-18, Jesus is very clear about what True Christians will be able to do to demonstrate their belief:

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."
Can your Minister, Pastor or Priest drink poison without dying? If not, according to Jesus, he must not believe.
Simply think about it. Jesus and the Bible are quite clear about these things. And your Minister, Pastor or Priest should have the closest connection to Jesus of anyone you know. Is your Minister, Pastor or Priest following the Bible? Probably not. There is no one you know who is doing all of these things. There is no Christian on earth who can drink poison without dying.

jmharris23

Yeah, i immediately rule out the TV ministers for the reasons you mention. In essence, they dont count.
You are talking about decent caring people and I get that. I am confident you do your best and are well liked because of it.
But, you are not "Jesus" material.

Jesus wasnt married.
Jesus didnt use parish money.
Jesus didnt have a nice car.
Jesus didn't have a nice house.
Jesus didn't wear nice clothes.
Jesus didn't have a church.

Jesus lived very sparsely. He didnt have possessions. Jesus followed the bible.

This, while extreme, is noteworthy

I'm definitely not Jesus material.....that much is true.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm definitely not Jesus material.....that much is true.
In all honesty you live for and about you and include Jesus and his teachings in it.

I am NOT faulting you for that.

Reality is that there are very few that practice what they preach.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have seen this guy in person. Every few years he is in my area for a few months and then is gone. I have seen in him in all weather/seasons and he is barefoot except for sandals in snow. He dresses in robes.
He has done local tv shows where he talks about his ministry and life and really has an inspiring side to him.
I dont know if he is genuine or crazy but he is interesting. And I respect what he does and how he does it.
Locally he is known as "WhatsYourName"
http://www.thejesusguy.com/

jmharris23

In all honesty you live for and about you and include Jesus and his teachings in it.

I am NOT faulting you for that.

Reality is that there are very few that practice what they preach.

As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to change the way you think about how I'm living or who or what I'm living for.

I'd like to think that those who know me would tell you that I very much practice what I preach.

But anyway, as always, I enjoy our conversations.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As much as I'd like to, I'm not going to change the way you think about how I'm living or who or what I'm living for.

I'd like to think that those who know me would tell you that I very much practice what I preach.

But anyway, as always, I enjoy our conversations.

Jm, I have always enjoyed the input you bring into these conversations. I respect the life you have made for yourself and I do not doubt that you are well thought of among the people that know you.
Keep up the great work.

Israel

BANNED
I'm gonna start selling t-shirts with JESUS MATERIAL in big letters.

:biggrin3:

I'll take two.

(Can you include this on them?)

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.