Who carries a sidearm turkey hunting?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well................You've definitely got a smart mouth on ya! You probably need it.

Kinda what I was thinking , and if U felt that strongly that it's no ones business , why comment ????

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Simmer down in here. Its almost here.
To be honest I have never seen someone carry a pistol during turkey season. Or even heard of it.

Katalee

OK maybe I took it a little personal, I am man enough to admit I was wrong. Should have kept it to myself. Apologies to all. I enjoy this forum to much.

jestersmark

Glock 43
It's my BFF. We go everywhere together.

Bubba_1122

Obviously sounds silly to some.

I've always carried a .38 with CCI shotshells for snakes (nope - I don't like snakes - especially poisonous ones).

Not to many years ago hogs showed up where I hunt. Two years ago I was sitting in the woods turkey hunting. Had my back to a field and a bird working in the woods. . A very large boar ended up 3 steps away from me (was behind me on clean and soft dirt. Never heard him until he was right on me).

Startled me and him. Thankfully he took off when I turned to face him with shotgun.

I've spent my lifetime around hogs. They can be cranky critters. So when the incident I mentioned above happened I swapped out that little .38 and started carrying the .40 Glock from then on.

Really not a big deal - I just feel better with it instead of just the long, cumbersome shotgun.

mhammock

I also had a encounter with with a big boar turkey hunting in a burke county swamp, he came from behind me and got about 5 ft from me staring me down. My thinking was i may kill him with this turkey load or im gonna make him really mad..I ended up easing away letting him have the ground.

ThatredneckguyJamie

not sure why so many are surprised that people carry while turkey hunting....I carry when I'm deer hunting with a semi auto 30-06...why would the fact I have a shotgun make a difference?

01Foreman400

Staff member
not sure why so many are surprised that people carry while turkey hunting....I carry when I'm deer hunting with a semi auto 30-06...why would the fact I have a shotgun make a difference?

Because if you're carrying a shotgun you already have the best self defense gun you can have. That's my thoughts on it.

I'm not saying no one should carry a sidearm while they hunt. Carry 10 for all I care. That's your right. I just have never knew carrying a sidearm was a common practice among turkey hunters.

ThatredneckguyJamie

While compared to a pointy stick or a big rock I'd certainly take my turkey gun. But as a self defense weapon I certainly can think of many better choices...

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Why is everyone so surprised , have y'all seen the crew that turkey hunts now days !!!

turkeykirk

Why is everyone so surprised , have y'all seen the crew that turkey hunts now days !!!

Never know when you are going to run into a "turkey thug":rofl:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

I'm going to carry 2 six shooters. Low on the hips and a camo cowboy hat. May have 2 hogs attack from different directions. I'll get them both. Just saying.

Bubba_1122

I'm going to carry 2 six shooters. Low on the hips and a camo cowboy hat. May have 2 hogs attack from different directions. I'll get them both. Just saying.

I bet you stand in front of the mirror and practice that Clint Eastwood quick draw every night. :cool::rofl:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I bet you stand in front of the mirror and practice that Clint Eastwood quick draw every night. :cool::rofl:

I was doing good on my practice draws..... Til I shot the mirror.
Oh yea what do u mean by that. I can't draw. :rofl: