Longbeard XR Malfuntion

savannahsdad

I've shot them for two years and have had zero issues..... Now getting the turkeys to always cooperate....that's another issue all together. ;-)

DRBugman85

I've shot Longbeards for 2 years and hunted 4 states never had a problem it's like AT&T it reachs out and SLAPS TURKEYS HEADS OFF,now my friend that don't clean his gun enough had the fireing pen not hit the primer hard enough to charge the shell twice while patterning this year,once clean not a problem.Winchester has been my choice for over 50 years and by far the LONGBEARDS out shot any thing I've put in my SP 870 and Beretta a350 Jeb's Headhunter chokes.:clap:

gregg

Here is a look at my primer on the Longbeard XR misfire, don't think there was a problem with the firing pin as I compared it to fired shells and they were the same. I've never had an issue with this gun before, I'm sure it was the shell. Hard to appreciate how well the primer was struck based on this picture.

Longbeard%20Misfire%202_zpsmjfi2wlw.jpg

T-N-T

Are all the problems mentioned above from 2016 shells?
I have some left from last year. Have not bought any this year...

M Sharpe

I think next year I may try Hevi shot.

You better buy a ton of the same lot numbers!!! They will definitely change from year to year!!! Loved them the first year, hated them the second year! Too inconsistent!!!!

M Sharpe

Hard to appreciate how well the primer was struck based on this picture.

Longbeard%20Misfire%202_zpsmjfi2wlw.jpg

Yeah, because I don't see the crater that the firing pin generally leaves.

Steve Roberts

You better buy a ton of the same lot numbers!!! They will definitely change from year to year!!! Loved them the first year, hated them the second year! Too inconsistent!!!!

That's why I load my own with tss!! Then your in control of what goes in them!!!

DRBugman85

Looks like a weak fireing pen hit from my view,But I'm BLIND in 1 eye and cant see out of the other I'M OLD as dirt,I've NEVER had a problem in the shotguns I shoot with any Wincherster shotshells ,Supreme Drylok steelshot,Longbeard XR,AA skeet are Super X High Brass.But the Remington SP 870 has never failed to fram the fireing pen hard and I clean my shotguns after every hunt I make .:shoot: My hunting buddys say it over kill on the cleaning I call it Preventive Maintenance:cool:

gregg

So I went back and looked at a Longbeard XR shell that did fire, I have to say that the "crater" is deeper on the fired shell as compared to the misfire. There is a crater though on the misfire that looks sufficient enough to set off the primer, but maybe not, I will give it the benefit of doubt.....for those wondering, I am a clean gun nut, still might have been a firing pin issue, never know.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Just read about another guys experience with the Longbeards. His just smoked then hissed then the shot came out just past the end of the barrel. Several new complaints this year.

rod farva

Had the same thing happen this morning as what happened last week. Shot shell A and it worked fine. Went to unload shell B and C and the ends had fallen off of them. Guess I'll try a new box and if that doesn't work I'll be changing brands. Kind of sucks because I've used Winchester shells for every turkey I've ever shot and have been extremely happy with them up to this point

Anyone also notice the Longbeard XR shells are about 3/16 inch longer than a normal 3 inch shell? I shot the Longbeards to validate all the hype and have been shooting the Winchester XX High Velocity previous and the Longbeard shell is actually longer than the standard 3 inch shell when compared side by side. I found this when investigating why my Beretta would not cycle the next Longbeard shell all the way to the chamber. It was getting stuck on the lip of the chamber at the barrel entry every time. Even when manually feeding it it would hang up. That is a major problem for many semi-automatics I bet. Also, reading about the shells coming apart, it has to be the longer shell getting crimped with pressure from the forcing cone in the barrel of the shotgun because the shell is going to far when loading. There could be too much pressure stacked against each other in the other two shells in the forend tube causing the shell to come apart. Just my observation, I am not an expert.

deast1988

Anyone also notice the Longbeard XR shells are about 3/16 inch longer than a normal 3 inch shell? I shot the Longbeards to validate all the hype and have been shooting the Winchester XX High Velocity previous and the Longbeard shell is actually longer than the standard 3 inch shell when compared side by side. I found this when investigating why my Beretta would not cycle the next Longbeard shell all the way to the chamber. It was getting stuck on the lip of the chamber at the barrel entry every time. Even when manually feeding it it would hang up. That is a major problem for many semi-automatics I bet. Also, reading about the shells coming apart, it has to be the longer shell getting crimped with pressure from the forcing cone in the barrel of the shotgun because the shell is going to far when loading. There could be too much pressure stacked against each other in the other two shells in the forend tube causing the shell to come apart. Just my observation, I am not an expert.

They are longer how they have to close the shell with resin, they claim it works in most guns your gun might not like the length though.

goblr77

The "bad" lots of Hevi are still better than anything but Nitros and handloads.

deerpoacher1970

I had a misfire on opening day using the Longbeard XR's, had a nice mountain tom at 20 yards too, oh well, I will get him another day. I decided to not use them again, went back to my old shells which never let me down.
Yall ain't using a mossberg shotgun are you.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I am sorry, but when I see a box of Anything Winchester, I will pass.
My experience with them is
White box FTF in 9mm
Reading you guys stories here.........What:huh:
.22mag brass cracked at the end after firing and jammed my Marlin. Fired another and the same thing happened. Diggin it out with my knife was no fun and I will Never buy anything Winchester.
BTW-I do have that same box of .22 mag ammo with only 2 or 3 shells out of it. If anyone wants it, come see me, you can have it.......seriously