Kidney Stones

tcward

Just endured a week and a half of mortal pain. What do you do to prevent these beast?

Grub Master

I've heard lemons are good to prevent them.

georgia_home

Wife drinks a lot of liquid! Water. Before to prevent and after it starts to try to flush out.

Her whole family gets them.

swampstalker24

Drink at least a gallon of water a day... more with exercise. You should also check out something called "stone breaker". Its an herbal remedy for both treating and preventing kidney stones. I feel it helps me :huh:

Big7

The Oracle
My Uncle has had them bad for a few years.

Best bet is ultrasonic to break them up so you can pass them.

Might want to check with your Doctor. Ask for for some serious antibiotics until it's cleared.

He said they were like passing a cockle-burr.

Get on it before dire straits..

He is hard headed, won't go until emergency room trip.

Lay off ANYTHING that has calcium.

DannyW

Good luck with all the "remedies".

I have had them since 1981...nothing seems to work. So far I have had approximately 8 lithotripsies (sp...the procedure where they knock you out and use sound waves to break up the stone...or not).

Keep hydrated! If you are predispositioned to kidney stones like me, your best bet is to keep them floating around in your kidney

If you become dehydrated, the stone will drop and there will be CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored yo pay.

7Mag Hunter

I had them 20 yrs ago and had to have the surgically removed!!!
Biggest one was 9mm and looked like a sweet gum ball !!!!

Dr said no ice tea, limit coffee, cola and drink lots of water and pray that you don't get them again...

I have several other instances over the last 10 yrs but
was able to pass them ........
Lots of internet cures, but not sure any of them actually work...

Goos Luck...

1gr8bldr

From my 20's through my 30's I had them often, like 12 a year. Expensive medical bills. Since, thank God, my 40's, I have only had 1. Not sure what the difference is. I eat and drink the same???

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I had them 20 yrs ago and had to have the surgically removed!!!
Biggest one was 9mm and looked like a sweet gum ball !!!!

Dr said no ice tea, limit coffee, cola and drink lots of water and pray that you don't get them again...

I have several other instances over the last 10 yrs but
was able to pass them ........
Lots of internet cures, but not sure any of them actually work...

Goos Luck...

Basically this, and some well water is high in minerals that can contribute to the problem if it is not properly and adequately filtered.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
A heard just the other day that draft beer will cause kidney stones if you are subject to getting them.

WayneB

Had em for most of my life, self inflicted routine dehydration during working hours, then near overdose on water each evening. I knock out a half-gallon on 100% Cranberry juice in 2 days just to keep things moving.
many times I mix juice and water half and half to add volume of water with a bit of taste.
Swapping sweet tea for lemonade seems to have reduced the dehydration issue somewhat, just be reducing the diuretic content of the tea.
Overall nothing will prevent them if you are prone, volume seems to help pass them before they become problematic.
Pain from them is generally from the kidney (back) to the bladder where the plumbing gets a bit larger. Peeing high up on the side of the bowl should allow you to here a random 'ting' as small stones pass. This should be an indicator to up the water intake to allow easier passage.

95g atl

From my 20's through my 30's I had them often, like 12 a year. Expensive medical bills. Since, thank God, my 40's, I have only had 1. Not sure what the difference is. I eat and drink the same???

I am similar to you.

Had them from 19 through 20's. All of a sudden, didn't get them anymore for over 10 years.
Recently when I was 41-42 I had one.
Reminded me of the utter discomfort for the week or two.

glynr329

Had one a few months ago had to go through 2 procedures last one was laser to bust it up. They told me they can run test and tell you what is causing them. Since that was my first they are going to wait and see if it happens again. Lord I hope I never have another.

T-N-T

Dad gets em. His last was 7mm....
High minerals found in well water, and tea are believed to be contributing factors by many.

Staying hydrated seems to help him. His biggest issue is when he gets dehydrated in the hot summer.

tcward

Thanks guys. I did have the lithotripsy done last week and I think they are gone (check up this coming week). Just wanted to know if anybody had the cure for them.

Horns

Some of the worst pain a man can suffer. I had to have one blasted and have passed 3 others. They are the spawn of Satan

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You need to have the stone tested and figure out exactly what kind of stone you have. There are some that can be caused by certain kinds of foods (leafy greens, etc.).

Have had plenty myself and thankfully have passed them all. Last one was a year ago...6mm.

Wife has had a couple including one that literally almost killed her. It lodged and set off an infection that turned into sepsis. She spent a handful of nights in ICU. Only after the fact did the doctor tell me (us) just how bad she was.

Any of you that have pain and a fever, please get to a doctor ASAP. Stones aren't something to play around with.

Overall, staying hydrated is a great first step, all other things considered.

DannyW

You...peed...out...a nearly 1/4" kidney stone??? Holy crap....as someone who has passed several BB sized stones, you have my sympathy...and respect....

Hydration is the key...it won't eliminate the stones but it will keep them floating around so they are not a problem.

1gr8bldr

If you try to tuff it out at home, a heating blanket will relax the muscles. Don't try the shower with hot water, it works, but runs out. Ask for delaudin at the ER.