best squirrel rifle

amoore28

Looking to buy a new small game rifle. What are yalls opinions. Im trying to buy one for around 250-300. Trying to stick with 22lr. would the 22 mag be better for a head shot on a hog though. What yall think

Offroadtek

I do love my Savage 22 with the accutrigger. It's so light you can carry it all day and it out shoots any other 22 I have shot.

amoore28

I'm leaning towards the Savage rifle how ever I think the Marlin would be good too. Wanting a bolt action. I have several in the past but sold them all and now wishing I had a new one.

red neck richie

I like head shots with my AR-15 for tree rats. But if you are trying to save the hide I like my 22lr. I have a Remington 597 semi auto with a 30 round banana clip that is great for squirrels. A 22lr is too small for hogs but the AR-15 would be a better option. But it will be a little over your $300 budget. The AR-15 is also a good option for HD and mid sized game so it is a better all around gun.

Last edited:

rospaw

Looking to buy a new small game rifle. What are yalls opinions. Im trying to buy one for around 250-300. Trying to stick with 22lr. would the 22 mag be better for a head shot on a hog though. What yall think

As a 22 cal / rim-fire nut that i am, it is hard to beat a Winchester bolt M69/M69a with a peep sight. Another fav of mine is a Lever action Marlin M39(heavy though but Shoots short, long and LR). Feels good in the hands. The last new 22 i purchased was a CZ USA 455 fs with full stock(mannlicher stock). Shoots great with adj trig, changeable barrel Out of the 30 or so 22's they are the ones that get used the most.
And yes i have a few 10/22's and browning autos but they just don't do it for me anymore. I like the old school feel and look. Shoots better also!

Go to a gun show and find a deal on an older 22 that looks and feels good in your hands. Pawnshop also.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I took my Walmart special that I bought about 15 years ago and went over board. First I put a KIDD 2.5 pound trigger group in it then I bought a Bushnell RIMFIRE 3+12x40mm scope on it then I decided it needed a new stock so I put it into an ARCHANGEL AAP1022 Desert Tan stock. It shoots 10 shots at 25 yds. in 3/8" which should be good for head shots at tree rats.

gt40

Attachments

• archangel stock .jpg
    archangel stock .jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 1,626

state159

I took my Walmart special that I bought about 15 years ago and went over board. First I put a KIDD 2.5 pound trigger group in it then I bought a Bushnell RIMFIRE 3+12x40mm scope on it then I decided it needed a new stock so I put it into an ARCHANGEL AAP1022 Desert Tan stock. It shoots 10 shots at 25 yds. in 3/8" which should be good for head shots at tree rats.

gt40

GT, that is one sharpe looking set-up. I drool everytime I see it. Ronny

Hillbilly stalker

I shoot a older savage from wal-mart ($99) no accu trigger. It will hit a quarter every time at 30 yards . It will shoot any brand of LR you put in it which is a huge plus in my book. You can pay a lot more for a rifle if you wish, but its gonna be hard to beat the performance. Spend any extra change on a good scope. Mine wears a 2x7 leupold .

transfixer

There are a number of good bolt actions on the market now, I'd suggest go somewhere where you can handle them and see what feels the best to you, 10-22's are great guns, I have one with lightweight barrel and aftermarket stock, but it tends to make you shoot more ammo than you need to, my favorite 22 for squirrels or precision plinking with iron sights is an old Marlin model 81 , I inherited from my grandfather, its got the old style micro buckhorn sights, full size adult stock, tube magazine, shoots shorts, longs and LR , my dad and grandfather used to line those big wooden matches up on a fence rail and see who could strike the most of them from about 25 or 30 feet.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
While I was talking to the company that makes my new stock I asked him what is the best way to lubricate my 10/22. He said that he cleans and dries the action then uses dry graphite that is used for locks. He said that since it is dry the action does not clog with dirt and burnt powder which is big cause of jamming.

gt40

PS: I'm going to try it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.47.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 10.47.45 PM.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,579
Last edited:

jigman29

I am a rimfire freak and have a pile of them. I would be more than happy to let you shoot anything I have to help you decide. But, in my opinion here's what I would recommend. With your budget and probably wanting new I would go with a savage hands down. You can get a really sweet shooting one with the accutrigger under 300.
Next would be the ruger American. My boy has one and it's also a great gun fo the money. The biggest advantage to the ruger was the rotary magazine. But, greginclayton got a savage the other day and it has a new mag that's sweet so that's equal now.
If you want a really nice gun I would look online for a cz in 22lr. mine is an absolute tack driver and I love it. But the price tag is well over 300new so I would look in pawnshops and all. You may get lucky.
My go-to is a 22 mag as opposed to the lr. But they are pricey in certain models. I have a savage that's a great gun but my go to woods gon is a magnum research with the graphite barrel and boyds stock. Lightweight and a squirrel killer for sure.
Like I say. If you are close to clayton or ever this way feel free to holler and you can check out the ones I have.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've never really seen a bad shooting 22. As said a cheap savage with a very good scope will do fine.

GA native

I'll say a Henry lever action. The .22WMR is an extra $100 or so.

The 10/22 ain't what it used to be. Mine is a dog, it shoots 3" groups at 30 yards. From what I can tell, I am expected to sink another $250 into building a decent rifle around that action.

amoore28

I am a rimfire freak and have a pile of them. I would be more than happy to let you shoot anything I have to help you decide. But, in my opinion here's what I would recommend. With your budget and probably wanting new I would go with a savage hands down. You can get a really sweet shooting one with the accutrigger under 300.
Next would be the ruger American. My boy has one and it's also a great gun fo the money. The biggest advantage to the ruger was the rotary magazine. But, greginclayton got a savage the other day and it has a new mag that's sweet so that's equal now.
If you want a really nice gun I would look online for a cz in 22lr. mine is an absolute tack driver and I love it. But the price tag is well over 300new so I would look in pawnshops and all. You may get lucky.
My go-to is a 22 mag as opposed to the lr. But they are pricey in certain models. I have a savage that's a great gun but my go to woods gon is a magnum research with the graphite barrel and boyds stock. Lightweight and a squirrel killer for sure.
Like I say. If you are close to clayton or ever this way feel free to holler and you can check out the ones I have.

Thanks jigman, I went straight up through your neck of the woods last weekend headed to a family reunion in Cruso NC, should have stoppd by. I agree that those cz look really nice but the savage like you say look really nice too.

abrannon

For a bolt gun I would look at the Savage or CZ.

A 22 WRM would be better on a hog but a 22 LR works too. It is all about shot placement and ammo selection. Mini Mag or Stinger will work wonders on a Hog at shorter ranges.

Buckman18

I have an ancient Winchester model 67 single shot with iron sights that shoots incredibly well. I routinely 'scare' squirrels that are trying to find corn in the deer trough that's been empty for at least 10 days that is measured exactly 47 yards from my back deck.