I Have a Question

red neck richie

Sometimes I have string or tie down straps in my truck bed. Often times after driving around they tie themselves into over hand knots. I've also seen a half hitch thrown around a loop. Does this show order or complexity coming from disorder?

Nope wind and gravity.

Israel

BANNED
The ideas of nothing and infinity are hard. The idea of an eternal, all powerful being is an easy answer but much harder to understand. Impossible, really, and therefore practically useless. It's a sloppy placeholder for what we don't understand.

God knows before you there is need for One to stand between. And He is rightly provided. He alone, is necessary to man.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I stand corrected you are right. God created wind and gravity therefore it actually is of his doing. But not in a spiritual sense more of a physical creation.

10-4 wink wink

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
God knows before you there is need for One to stand between. And He is rightly provided. He alone, is necessary to man.

Lucky the council voted(not unanimous) for that "one" huh?

Israel

BANNED
The ideas of nothing and infinity are hard. The idea of an eternal, all powerful being is an easy answer but much harder to understand. Impossible, really, and therefore practically useless. It's a sloppy placeholder for what we don't understand.

Are you a prophet?
practically useless

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

It's a sloppy placeholder for what we don't understand.

As many were astonished at you; so his appearance was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:

A placeholder, who held His place.

Much like a zero changes 1, to 10, or 1,000,000, a man who allowed himself to be made as nothing, of no resistance to God, that God might come through Him.

The immeasurable measure of God is found in the measure of this man's humility to appear.
For us.

He holds His place.
For us.

Last edited:

drippin' rock

It shows that Tydowneus, the god of truck-bed ratchet straps, lives and performs his wonders in the heart of your truck bed, just like he does in mine. Since we are fairly widely situated apart geographically, but the same phenomenon occurs to both of us; then we can construe that Tydowneus is indeed a universal god, and has a plan for both of our truck-beds.

All hail Tydowneus.

drippin' rock

Sometimes I have string or tie down straps in my truck bed. Often times after driving around they tie themselves into over hand knots. I've also seen a half hitch thrown around a loop. Does this show order or complexity coming from disorder?

A knot is a tangle we named.

StriperrHunterr

That's kind of my point. We project meaning or design onto the results of randomness. When "wind knots" get "tied" in DNA all of a sudden it's a miracle.

Not quite the case. One sees wind knots as you say, the other sees someone tying the knots. Since neither saw either happen, they both choose the explanation that they like best.

WaltL1

Not quite the case. One sees wind knots as you say, the other sees someone tying the knots. Since neither saw either happen, they both choose the explanation that they like best.
Hmmm...
"Like best" or "based on evidence"?
1. unknotted rope in back of truck
2. wind whipping around in back of moving truck
3. rope now in a knot

I like the explanation that Sandra Bullock was hiding in the back of my truck and tied the rope in knots the best but..... no evidence of Sandra, just the unknotted rope, wind and then a knotted rope.
As opposed to... even if you believe in God, believe he has the ability to invisibly tie the rope in a knot.. whats the evidence that he actually did it?

StriperrHunterr

Hmmm...
"Like best" or "based on evidence"?
1. unknotted rope in back of truck
2. wind whipping around in back of moving truck
3. rope now in a knot

I like the explanation that Sandra Bullock was hiding in the back of my truck and tied the rope in knots the best but..... no evidence of Sandra, just the unknotted rope, wind and then a knotted rope.
As opposed to... even if you believe in God, believe he has the ability to invisibly tie the rope in a knot.. whats the evidence that he actually did it?

Each person has their own criteria by which they make that decision. As such, no one answer can be made here.

WaltL1

Each person has their own criteria by which they make that decision. As such, no one answer can be made here.
I agree and disagree :bounce:
While I agree there may be individual criteria, available physical evidence ie. no knot, wind, knot, evidence is evidence whether or not is fits your criteria of what legitimate evidence is.

Israel

BANNED
There's no knot, no unknot, no flaccid rope (nor reasoning) as to exclude the only indisputably necessary element in all and any of it. Consciousness.

You can't qualify a thing by what you have already disqualified.

StriperrHunterr

I agree and disagree :bounce:
While I agree there may be individual criteria, available physical evidence ie. no knot, wind, knot, evidence is evidence whether or not is fits your criteria of what legitimate evidence is.

In a multiverse with universes where any and all options happen I'm sure there's one where the knot came into existence with no wind or outside interaction, and another where your lady friend did indeed tie it.

StriperrHunterr

There's no knot, no unknot, no flaccid rope (nor reasoning) as to exclude the only indisputably necessary element in all and any of it. Consciousness.

You can't qualify a thing by what you have already disqualified.

Consciousness or the mental capacity to analyze and interpret for one's self? But even that's tangential to my point of replying; in discussing knots and their formation I would argue that the rope, or lack thereof, is also absolutely vital to the matter. Because if it exists then you're discussing matters of fact, i.e. there is a rope and there is a knot, or knots, in it. Or, there is no rope and the entire discussion is a thought experiment.

Israel

BANNED
Consciousness or the mental capacity to analyze and interpret for one's self? But even that's tangential to my point of replying; in discussing knots and their formation I would argue that the rope, or lack thereof, is also absolutely vital to the matter. Because if it exists then you're discussing matters of fact, i.e. there is a rope and there is a knot, or knots, in it. Or, there is no rope and the entire discussion is a thought experiment.

"If it exists" is only determined by consciousness.

I like what this guy wrote a few slots back:

A knot is a tangle we named.

ambush80

In a multiverse with universes where any and all options happen I'm sure there's one where the knot came into existence with no wind or outside interaction, and another where your lady friend did indeed tie it.

Most people don't even know what multiverse is. Most people would either say "the wind did it" or "God did it".

StriperrHunterr

"If it exists" is only determined by consciousness.

I like what this guy wrote a few slots back:

I like that quote, too.

So when you're unconscious, nothing exists? That's fine if you're speaking only insofar as you're concerned, but I can assure you that knot exists whether you're conscious of it or knot. :bounce:

Most people don't even know what multiverse is. Most people would either say "the wind did it" or "God did it".

You have to qualify your use of most. 20 years ago that kind of generalization may have been possible, but in 2017 I'd wager more people are aware of the multiverse concept, and are familiar with the broad strokes of it like how with infinite universes with infinite possibilities then there's a universe where it's likely that most any possibility is valid, even one where most people are, in fact, unaware of what a multiverse is. I don't think it's this one. Either way, in certain universes in the multiverse there is one where it's possible that the lady friend did hop onto the vehicle to tie that knot.