Extended deer season bill?

Big7

The Oracle
To long now. :deadhorse:

Call yo' peeps and tell them NO!

T-N-T

It's so long now that i hunt a while and kill some deer. Then do other things for a month and get the itch again and then go back to the woods

I could stand for a month extension or so

ucfireman

Needs to close after Thanksgiving like it used to.
Change the dates totally for the way down south folks that their rut is in late Dec or Jan.

fountain

Most definitely needs to be shortened, not lengthened. Lengthy season and liberal limits are doing more harm than good to our population.

If you haven't killed a deer by now, I doubt a few more days will help anythinf

goshenmountainman

Gun season needs to open about Nov. 1 and close Christmas day for the northern part of Georgia, I am talking about the Mountains from about Stephens over to about Dalton, everything north of that and no doe days.. because trigger control is not working. People think they got to shoot everything. Right now I have six different cameras out, I have 6 doe and three bucks on camera, one good buck, the other are small ones. You can count the back vertebrae in all of them. They don't need to be hunted when they are in this condition. These cameras are scattered out in about a 3 mile circle. On private ground.

red neck richie

They extended it from the 1st to the 15th. I haven't heard of anything else other than the extended archery season in certain counties. What have you heard? Pun not intended.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Extending it would be fine to me, maybe let it run to at least the end of January. I'd hate to see the season shortened. I love the long season. For those of you who think it's already too long, simply quit hunting when you get enough of it. No one is forcing you to hunt. And no one is forcing you to fill every tag, either.

It may not be perfect, but I am sort of happy the way it is. Just leave it alone! If anything, cut back on the doe tags.

lampern

Okay looks like there is also a companion bill in the state senate as well that also extends the seasons for other game species (Quail, raccoon, ect)
2017-2018 Regular Session - SB 122
Open Seasons for Hunting Deer; provisions; change

Stroker

At least extend it to include MLK day so it would end on a three day weekend.

red neck richie

lampern

There are two slightly different bills (one in the state house, one in the state senate)

I'm not a legal person so I was just trying to cut and paste the section with the deer season changes.

Okay as I look at the SENATE bill enacts a statewide archery only deer season from January 16-January 31.

So no gun season would not be extended to the 31st if I am reading it correctly.

Also I see the phrase "except that there may
be" so people like Mr Killmaster do not have to enact an extended season?

Last edited:
I myself am fine with how it is now and wouldn't mind it being longer. I work every other weekend out of town so I don't get in the hours in the woods that I would like to get. Just my .02

crasm1

If they extended it from Jan 15 to the 31st I could definetly make a last trip up from Florida and for the first time kill 10 does in one season. I have come close several years killing 8 and 9 a year. Best year was 2 bucks and 9 does. 2 more weeks and I know for sure i could hit the 10 mark