The best thing I've ever smoked: Meatloaf

My ribs are quite good. My pulled pork is outstanding. IMO (And it's not even close), the best thing I make on my smoker is meatloaf. Either 2 pounds of ground chuck and 1 pound hot sausage or 1 pound ground chuck and 1 pound hot sausage. Anyone else do meatloaf?

ESTIMATED smoke time: One 3# loaf approx 4 hours to hit target temp. Two 1.5# loaves approx 3 hours to hit temp. As always, YMMV. . . .

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground chuck

1 lb hot sausage

¾ C bread crumbs

2 Tbsps dried oregano

7 cloves garlic (Less to taste)

1/3 C. tomato juice (V8 will work)

3 Tbsps Worcestershire sauce

Grated cheese as necessary

3 Tbsps ranch dressing mix (dry)

1 package onion soup mix

3 eggs

1 package thawed-frozen onion, green pepper, onion, parsley mix

Preparation:

Mix ingredients thoroughly but do not overmix, freeze for 2-3 hours or refrigerate over night. I put mine in aluminum loaf pans with holes poke through all sides.

Prep the smoker coals. Use a large drip tray/method of some kind to capture all of the meat drippings - one of those cheap-o aluminum baking tins from the dollar store works great or even HD foil (make a lip). . . just position it right under the loaf.

Keep the smoker around 250°F. Start basting the loaf with the glaze (recipe below) when the internal temp hits 155°F -- 2 or 3 times is enough. Continue smoking until internal temp hits 165°F. Pull loaf off the smoker and allow to rest covered in foil for 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve with additional glaze on side. Serves 6-8.

Glaze:

½ C Heinz 57

¼ C tomato juice

2 Tbsps Agave Nectar

2 Tbsps hot sauce

2 Tbsps Worcestershire

Mix everything together in a small saucepan and cook on low until everything comes together

Duff

Haven’t done one but craving flung!!

Thanks for the recipe!!

GA1dad

I'm actually smoking one here in a little while.

Patriot44

Banned
Thanks for the recipe, Steele! I smoked a pot roast on my Webber one time that possibly turned out with similar results that you had here. Hmmm, maybe can do both!

Dub

ESTIMATED smoke time: One 3# loaf approx 4 hours to hit target temp. Two 1.5# loaves approx 3 hours to hit temp. As always, YMMV. . . .

Ingredients:

2 lbs ground chuck

1 lb hot sausage

¾ C bread crumbs

2 Tbsps dried oregano

7 cloves garlic (Less to taste)

1/3 C. tomato juice (V8 will work)

3 Tbsps Worcestershire sauce

Grated cheese as necessary

3 Tbsps ranch dressing mix (dry)

1 package onion soup mix

3 eggs

1 package thawed-frozen onion, green pepper, onion, parsley mix

Preparation:

Mix ingredients thoroughly but do not overmix, freeze for 2-3 hours or refrigerate over night. I put mine in aluminum loaf pans with holes poke through all sides.

Prep the smoker coals. Use a large drip tray/method of some kind to capture all of the meat drippings - one of those cheap-o aluminum baking tins from the dollar store works great or even HD foil (make a lip). . . just position it right under the loaf.

Keep the smoker around 250°F. Start basting the loaf with the glaze (recipe below) when the internal temp hits 155°F -- 2 or 3 times is enough. Continue smoking until internal temp hits 165°F. Pull loaf off the smoker and allow to rest covered in foil for 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve with additional glaze on side. Serves 6-8.

Glaze:

½ C Heinz 57

¼ C tomato juice

2 Tbsps Agave Nectar

2 Tbsps hot sauce

2 Tbsps Worcestershire

Mix everything together in a small saucepan and cook on low until everything comes together

Sounds like it'd be good.

Thanks for the recipe.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thanks!!!!!!!! Gonna try your recipe!

ambush80

Yup!! Done it once with beef, once with turkey and hope to do it with deer meat one day.

I whizzed up some onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the food processor, squeezed it out in a towel, sauteed it and added it to the meat with all the usual stuff. That made it moist and yummy. I make enough to eat all week. Meatloaf is pretty with a smoke ring!!!

ryork

Have never smoked or grilled a meatloaf either, but I'm sure it would be very good. Will add to the list of many things I need to try!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never tried it, mostly because I'm just not a big fan of meatloaf. I love all the ingredients, but just don't care much for all of them mixed together, and would usually rather make something besides a meatloaf with them. If I was going to eat meatloaf, grilled/smoked would for sure be my choice.

VANCE

Never tried it, mostly because I'm just not a big fan of meatloaf. I love all the ingredients, but just don't care much for all of them mixed together, and would usually rather make something besides a meatloaf with them. If I was going to eat meatloaf, grilled/smoked would for sure be my choice.
wait...wut,,,,thats un-american:eek:

ambush80

It's just a giant hamburger or meatball. Sliced and fried in on a griddle the next day and covered in brown gravy rivals a hamburger steak in my opinion.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's a great recipe. I need to try it. Smoked meatloaf is a novel idea. Looks like you and Ga1dad got it going' on.:rockon:

Wycliff

Made this Thursday, and I have to say it was the best meatloaf I have ever had. And I'm like NcH I normally am not a meatloaf fan.

Reactions: Dub