"A billion and a half years ago two black holes collided"

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Is it too much to ask or unreasonable to expect someone who makes a claim to back that claim up with facts?
Should we, any of us, accept whatever anyone else says as truthful just because they say it?

I don't live my life that way. Maybe I am different??

Well prove you’re no different then. Prove there’s no God. Just the immutable facts. That’s all I need. Just cold, hard, reproducible, empiricism. I’ll hang up and listen? Jeez.. SMH.

SemperFiDawg

Bullet's getting off in the weeds a little bit but my intention with the OP was, in fact an examination of how we know what we know and why we believe it or not. I thought you and I were going somewhere interesting, Miguel. I hope we can get back to it.

I apologize for taking it off topic. I should have just answered your question and bailed not being baited into another tired dead topic. Again, my apologies.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Well prove you’re no different then. Prove there’s no God. Just the immutable facts. That’s all I need. Just cold, hard, reproducible, empiricism. I’ll hang up and listen? Jeez.. SMH.

I have a feeling. When you get it you'll know....

I give you,welder,spotlite, israel and everyone else every opportunity to back up what you interject into conversations in here.
I am actually hoping that someone someday can and will take the opportunity to provide evidence of what they claim.

It is impossible for me to prove a negative. I cannot prove something that is imagined does not exist. The lack of evidence everywhere else leads me to believe that no such thing exists except in someones mind. And I can accept that answer but you and others constantly raise the bar and say that your God does this and does that so I ask you to please provide evidence to back up the claims.

By your logic literally anything that I say must exist merely because you cannot prove it doesn't. If THAT is what you hang your hat on and THAT is all you can muster as a base for your God, then you really should take a step back and ask yourself, Is THIS All I've Got to defend my God? If this is all the defense and proof of something so true to you, you do not need me to prove its nonexistence.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I apologize for taking it off topic. I should have just answered your question and bailed not being baited into another tired dead topic. Again, my apologies.
We hold you to your own claims. If it is baited it is because you are biting your own hook you cast.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
It is impossible for me to prove a negative. I cannot prove something that is imagined does not exist. The lack of evidence everywhere else leads me to believe that no such thing exists except in someones mind.
Some people call Black and White colors and want to argue their existence is real because they are called such in the box of crayola's

The fact is, Black is the absence of light, not a color. White is the absence of color, not a color.

ERGO, it is possible for both sides to be right and wrong at the same time.

SemperFiDawg

We hold you to your own claims. If it is baited it is because you are biting your own hook you cast.

Good luck on the upcoming hunting season Bullet and be safe Brother.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Some people call Black and White colors and want to argue their existence is real because they are called such in the box of crayola's

The fact is, Black is the absence of light, not a color. White is the absence of color, not a color.

ERGO, it is possible for both sides to be right and wrong at the same time.
True about Black and White in the Light spectrum..
But as far as pigments are concerned, Black is the result of all colors and White is the absence of any color.

I would think,and hope for a believer, that their God is more than color and light.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
True about Black and White in the Light spectrum..
But as far as pigments are concerned, Black is the result of all colors and White is the absence of any color.

I would think,and hope for a believer, that their God is more than color and light.
This is false information. If you combine all of the colors of the spectrum all you will get is a dark brown, not a black.

See how that works?

ambush80

We are all dying, which makes the details a little less important in the big picture.
Live for the here and now.

But help make the future better if you can. I think that the most useful part of scientific exploration. It's also the reason behind philosophical and theological discourse. Besides trying to answer the hardest questions, I think it's a study of how to live a good life. By many measures, deists claim to live very happy and fulfilled lives. They're also healthier and die better according to some studies. (Dog ownership also seems to improve measures of quality of life similarly). But deism also has societal draw backs.

My line of questioning to believers is usually an attempt to identify the "baby in the bathwater", even if it's a Jew baby playing with a little lamb.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
As I understand it, an object that's black reflects no light of any visible spectrum.
Correct, and if you physically combine all colors in the full spectrum crayon box, sans white and black, since they are not colors, you will not be able to produce a true black. Since all colors you are combining are a mixture of absorbing and reflecting colors.

Black cannot exist with reflecting color in it's mix.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Neat chart, and I've read the argument, but give it a real life physical test and see what you get.

If you mix all of the additive colors on that chart together you will get an ugly purple. If you mix all of the subtractive colors on that chart you will get an ugly dark brown.

Here in-lies the difference between speculative science and real life practical application.

ambush80

This is how we determine what's real or true. We can stand on the shoulders of all who came before us and test their hypotheses.

ambush80

Neat chart, and I've read the argument, but give it a real life physical test and see what you get.

If you mix all of the additive colors on that chart together you will get an ugly purple. If you mix all of the subtractive colors on that chart you will get an ugly dark brown.

Here in-lies the difference between speculative science and real life practical application.

Ok. You disagree with "the argument". Can you tell me what "the argument" states in your own words? I've never heard color theory called an argument before.

ambush80

I used to make all different kinds of black. There are different tubes of black that they sell. There's Mars Black and Ivory Black, both of which I used frequently, sometimes in conjunction.

"What's the difference between Mars black and ivory black?
Ivory Black is a brown black of moderate tinting strength recommended for general use. Mars Black is a denser, more neutral black with stronger tinting power. Payne's Gray is a very dark grey with a strong blue undertone that is more subtle than Ivory Black giving a purer colour when used in mixing."

https://www.google.com/search?q=ivory+black&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Then there's this kind of black, measured by reflectivity:

chart.jpg

"Black" is a scientific term as in Black Hole (no reflected light) but it's also commonly used as a subjective term like hot or cold. There's absolute zero and absolute hot:

" Absolute hot is a concept of temperature that postulates the existence of a highest attainable temperature of matter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_hot

So, with all this in mind, why do you consider what Dr. Levin proposes is speculative? Isn't one of the tenets of science that whatever they call true today is understood to be subject to revision as new information becomes available? To me that's a position of strength.