"A billion and a half years ago two black holes collided"

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Nothing she has said interest me in the least. This is tantamount to cavemen discussing why water is wet. It is all speculative until science learns the facts.

Once upon a time the medical community deemed eggs extremely bad for us on speculative science. Now magically they are extremely good for us.

ambush80

Nothing she has said interest me in the least. This is tantamount to cavemen discussing why water is wet. It is all speculative until science learns the facts.

Once upon a time the medical community deemed eggs extremely bad for us on speculative science. Now magically they are extremely good for us.

I understand. Science is not "your thing".

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Give me your best scientific theory as to why you think the Earth is 6,000 yeasr old, or is not a scientific question?
The discussion of how old the earth is, is of little consequence to me, nor does it effect my future in any way. Why in the world would I want to discuss that?

ambush80

The discussion of how old the earth is, is of little consequence to me, nor does it effect my future in any way. Why in the world would I want to discuss that?

I understand your thinking quite clearly. There's no reason for you to discuss it.

ambush80

C'mon, Man......You can google as well as I can. It's funny, I was out to dinner and someone asked a question about physics. We sat there trying to recall what we had been taught in high school and threw out related information that never answered the question. My 9 year old daughter borrowed my phone and simply looked it up. There's no excuse to live in ignorance anymore.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're asking me what I consider good evidence for how scientists date cosmological events I would say I'm most compelled by the "Red Shift" caused by the Doppler Effect.

The reason to care about any of this comes at about 15 minutes in. If that reason doesn't resonate with you then it doesn't.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It all comes down to personal revelation. Why is it that in all other aspects of life, people hold personal revelation as a low bar for determining truth, yet when it comes to the belief in God, it's regarded by believers as the most reliable metric (except when it's someone else's God)?

Because it's THAT real. If you have never experienced it, it's incomprehensible, if you have, it's undeniable. That's the best I got.

SemperFiDawg

I like this question and it's cousin involving a tree in the forest. It talks about consciousness and language and reality. We can imagine that even if there were no conscious creatures in the Universe that if "a tree fell in the woods" (or any physical object hit another one) that it would disrupt air, if it were present, and the collision would vibrate the material (or in the case of the black holes, the fabric of space time). It's assumed that that phenomena would produce an effect that conscious creatures might call "sound", but even if no one's around to hear it, the phenomena would occur. So, does it make a "sound"? Yes, and no, and yes. It depends on the context.

I always thought that this song was about phenomena.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have a "Like" for my most favorite (and catchiest) muppet tune ever.

WaltL1

Because it's THAT real. If you have never experienced it, it's incomprehensible, if you have, it's undeniable. That's the best I got.
I come soooo close to being able to accept this as a legitimate answer.
"If you haven't experienced it you cant know". Seems legitimate and reasonable to me.
But then Christianity had to throw a monkey wrench in.
Christianity had to claim theirs as true and everybody else's false.
That opens up a whole can of questions that Christians don't have legitimate answers for other than "you just gotta believe".

ambush80

Do you believe people when they say that they've been abducted by aliens? What about when they insist that it was THAT real? I tend to just agree with them with an "Mmmmmmmm-oh kaaaaaayy". I don't care if they think it was real but I don't really believe them and to the extent to which they let their "abduction" shape their lives I might not consider them for babysitting. Why do you think belief in God gets a pass from that kind of scrutiny?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I agree that what people believe is an experience absolutely seems real to them. Often life changing.
Sfd, in all sincerity, what do you think is happening to people that have those same life changing experiences who are not Christians? Who or What is responsible for those? Are they AS undeniable?

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

I come soooo close to being able to accept this as a legitimate answer.
"If you haven't experienced it you cant know". Seems legitimate and reasonable to me.
But then Christianity had to throw a monkey wrench in.
Christianity had to claim theirs as true and everybody else's false.
That opens up a whole can of questions that Christians don't have legitimate answers for other than "you just gotta believe".

Honestly, once Christ is revealed to you, having ALL the answers becomes irrelevant. We all have close family or friends that you know that they have your best interest at heart, would never lie to you, and you could count on to help out no matter what you asked.....one’s you can trust literally with your life. That’s what knowing Christ is like. IF you trust the persons character, you trust their words. No other belief offers that relationship.

SemperFiDawg

Do you believe people when they say that they've been abducted by aliens? What about when they insist that it was THAT real? I tend to just agree with them with an "Mmmmmmmm-oh kaaaaaayy". I don't care if they think it was real but I don't really believe them and to the extent to which they let their "abduction" shape their lives I might not consider them for babysitting. Why do you think belief in God gets a pass from that kind of scrutiny?

I would believe it if “I” had been abducted by aliens. See my point?

Latest posts