A priori

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Would you say that the belief in God is an A Priori stance?
By what I have been able to determine by the style of posts in here made by believers, yes.

ambush80

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of believing in God a priori?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Fills a need, comfort. Allows the unknown to have a "good" face.

Inability to back up claims with outside sources seems to be a disadvantage in conversations.

ambush80

Fills a need, comfort. Allows the unknown to have a "good" face.

Inability to back up claims with outside sources seems to be a disadvantage in conversations.

Are there any things that it's useful to believe in a priori?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Would you say that the belief in God is an A Priori stance?
Depends. And, based on the examples, everything else could fit the label. But due to the “experience” portion of the example, I doubt the belief in God is a Priori stance based on the knowledge portion of the experience because of the “involvement” or “exposure”, the belief / stance is not independent from that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_and_a_posteriori

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Depends. And, based on the examples, everything else could fit the label. But due to the “experience” portion of the example, I doubt the belief in God is a Priori stance based on the knowledge portion of the experience because of the “involvement” or “exposure”, the belief / stance is not independent from that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_and_a_posteriori
How many believe in God that have not had an experience?
Would it be fair to say millions tens of millions, hundreds of millions out of 2 billion?
Kids, tribes, converts....etc??

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
How many believe in God that have not had an experience?
Would it be fair to say millions tens of millions, hundreds of millions out of 2 billion?
Kids, tribes, converts....etc??
That is true. Didn’t think of that. I could only speculate on how many, but yes, there are those that do believe a God exist but have no desire to take it any further than that. So, I stand corrected, for some the belief in God is a Priori stance.

gemcgrew

That is true. Didn’t think of that. I could only speculate on how many, but yes, there are those that do believe a God exist but have no desire to take it any further than that. So, I stand corrected, for some the belief in God is a Priori stance.
Conversion always precedes belief.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Conversion always precedes belief.
Precedes means to come before? Think about that one and see if that’s what you meant to say.

Believing is the first step. You can’t be converted without first believing.

Artfuldodger

Precedes means to come before? Think about that one and see if that’s what you meant to say.

How many seconds after you believe are you converted? Maybe they both happen simultaneously.

If I had to choose, I'd say one must convert before believing. How could you believe if you weren't converted?

Kinda like the chicken and egg thing. Maybe.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
How many seconds after you believe are you converted? Maybe they both happen simultaneously.

If I had to choose, I'd say one must convert before believing. How could you believe if you weren't converted?

Kinda like the chicken and egg thing. Maybe.
I’m just going by call on and ye shall, or he that believes and is baptized shall, believe on the Lord and ye shall, etc.

The way I’m viewing conversion is the salvation part. I guess there’s more than one way to view conversion; believer from a non believer, and salvation after believing???

When I ask that, I have to keep in mind those like my Uncle that believes there is a God, but says it isn’t for him. What’s his conversion?

Artfuldodger

I’m just going by call on and ye shall, or he that believes and is baptized shall, believe on the Lord and ye shall, etc.

The way I’m viewing conversion is the salvation part. I guess there’s more than one way to view conversion; believer from a non believer, and salvation after believing???

When I ask that, I have to keep in mind those like my Uncle that believes there is a God, but says it isn’t for him. What’s his conversion?

Maybe regeneration precedes conversion and not belief. John 3:16 says "whosoever believes." Your Uncle believes. Maybe he doesn't believe that the God he believes in sent his only Son. It would therefore take a call from God to open his eyes and send him to the Son. If God does lead one to the Son, then the regeneration to believe, precedes conversion.

In Romans 10, Israel heard but did not seek. Isaiah boldly says: “I was found by those who did not seek Me; I revealed Myself to those who did not ask for Me."

Last edited:

gemcgrew

When a man does not believe a thing, he must be converted in order to believe.

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent?"

You do not believe my statement to be true. You must be converted in order to believe it.

Also, if you have "believing" as the first step, where do you have "living"?

"Believing" is an action. Even "life" precedes "belief".

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
When a man does not believe a thing, he must be converted in order to believe.

"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent?"

You do not believe my statement to be true. You must be converted in order to believe it.

Also, if you have "believing" as the first step, where do you have "living"?

"Believing" is an action. Even "life" precedes "belief".
Ok I can see it in that way. I was viewing conversion as salvation from “sinner to saint”.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Sure you can. Think of all the spouces that Convert to whatever religion their significant other is just to be allowed to marry in their church or synagogue etc.
The indigenous people were converted. Not sure how many really believed. Kids.