Barn Doors, in the home

1gr8bldr

As with clothes, styles come and go. Has anybody ever realized that styles are driven by onlookers who don't have a mind of their own. Come on people, this barn door rage is stupid. I can't tell you how many people have wanted their doors converted to barn doors. Dumbest thing I ever heard off. Rant for the day. Think about it.... Don't be a follower just because you seen it on HGTV. It's not neat, it's not cool, it's not pretty..... it's just a fad

sinclair1

I mostly agree, but I like them where people usually put cheap bifolds. Our plan called for a pocket door and the builder traded some nice upgrades if we didn't make him put it in.

greg_n_clayton

I’ve hung a few for folks, they do have their place in some situations.
I think so too. I got a buddy that finished his basement in rustic finishes as a man cave. I guess it all depends in one's taste. We put white pine on the walls. It has a nice rock hearth with a wood heater and a wood cook stove with the rock and hearth covering one whole wall. We pollied used slighly rusted tin on the ceiling. It turned out pretty neat....considering what the space is used for !! So, I believe it all depends on the the other finishes about that would make the sliding barn door "fit in" !! I am kinda partial to the rustic look. Pieces of mountain laurel make a rustic looking pickets and rails on handrails, if you don't over do them !! And you can build some interesting furniture out of just pieces of.....fire wood types of wood, if you are into such !

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Well, I’m no interior decorator, but I agree with Greg, they have their place in the proper setting.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
In a rustic setting I can see it, but it must be rustic decor. H22 won't let me watch HDTV. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Barn doors are cool. I don't watch HGTV. I like old, rustic stuff.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm putting a few barn doors in my new house. They will be in spots that would have gotten a pocket door. I hate pocket doors with a passion.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Hmmmm, I installed a pocket door in my former home that I built. It wasn't that bad of an install, and it served it's purpose perfectly. :huh:

Jim Baker

Staff member
Hmmmm, I installed a pocket door in my former home that I built. It wasn't that bad of an install, and it served it's purpose perfectly. :huh:

Got one to the "water closet" where nothing else would work. Going on 35 years still works. Got a pair between dining room and "living room" that do what a hung pair of french doors would do but cost no space. They have their place.

Barn doors have their place too. On a barn.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Got one to the "water closet" where nothing else would work. Going on 35 years still works. Got a pair between dining room and "living room" that do what a hung pair of french doors would do but cost no space. They have their place.

Barn doors have their place too. On a barn.

Yessir, sold my house after 18 years and never had a problem with mine whatsoever.

Killdee

Lol it’s according to who hung em and who’s using them in reguards to a pocket door. Teenagers bathrooms or places where they are used a lot come to mind.if left open they work fabulously.......

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Lol it’s according to who hung em and who’s using them in reguards to a pocket door. Teenagers bathrooms or places where they are used a lot come to mind.if left open they work fabulously.......

Personally, I believe it boils down to the quality of the pocket door and the method one used to either install vs hanging one. ;)

greg_n_clayton

Personally, I believe it boils down to the quality of the pocket door and the method one used to either install vs hanging one. ;)
Pocket doors have their place, too IMO. But like has been said, I wouldn't want that is used constantly. And I don't like them then unless they have the recessed pulls that allows them to be fully recessed into the wall. I despise the ones that folks place the stops so the edge of the door sticks outside of the jamb !

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Pocket doors have their place, too IMO. But like has been said, I wouldn't want that is used constantly. And I don't like them then unless they have the recessed pulls that allows them to be fully recessed into the wall. I despise the ones that folks place the stops so the edge of the door sticks outside of the jamb !

Mine was fully recessed, and entrance into Master bath, obviously inside of Master BR. Then, the master bath had a separate walled off toilet area with it's own exhaust fan, so not too necessary to close the pocket door, just close Master BR door.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Really about the only time we closed it was if someone was using the garden tub, or guests were there, but still close Master BR door also.