Beliefs

j_seph

Teach birth control. A whole lot of stuff we could teach.
Was there a problem 100, 200 years ago as they are today with kids giving birth and kids without no daddy or any idea who daddy was? I am sure there was but not to the degree it is today. IMO 100, 200 years ago there was a fear of God, more folks attended church and knew right from wrong. Fast forward to this day and time, less attend church, God has been removed from most every aspect including the schools. If you dig in that book called Bible there is several areas where it tells not to have children out of wedlock, not to touch a woman and have relations with her until married. The teaching is there, the commandments are there.
Bought a guy a burrito, chips, and a drink one time at a store. Did he appear to be a drunk? Possible he was but not my place to judge him. If I am led to help I will in anyway I can, if I am not led to then I won't. Not because I am a jerk or judging them but because of that small voice that says to do or not to do. As that guy came out of store he sat down on the sidewalk to eat. He had a friend come from behind the store and sat down beside him and they shared the small meal together.

WaltL1

I don’t think the intention was to suggest you not helping, it is important to recognize that “some” help can be contributing to their own self destruction.

You can still help those, but the way you help shouldn’t be the same. You can feed the alcoholic rather than giving him money.
That's usually how I go about it. I have had homeless folks turn down my offer for a hot meal more than once. If all they want is cash that generally means its going to go for a bottle of Ripple.
I mean what hungry homeless person is going to turn down a hot meal?
I do recognize though that's a different situation than what Bro David is talking about though where folks need heating or a roof fixed.
Im very hesitant to hand over cash but don't have a problem with donating clothes or food etc etc.

WaltL1

Was there a problem 100, 200 years ago as they are today with kids giving birth and kids without no daddy or any idea who daddy was? I am sure there was but not to the degree it is today. IMO 100, 200 years ago there was a fear of God, more folks attended church and knew right from wrong. Fast forward to this day and time, less attend church, God has been removed from most every aspect including the schools. If you dig in that book called Bible there is several areas where it tells not to have children out of wedlock, not to touch a woman and have relations with her until married. The teaching is there, the commandments are there.
Bought a guy a burrito, chips, and a drink one time at a store. Did he appear to be a drunk? Possible he was but not my place to judge him. If I am led to help I will in anyway I can, if I am not led to then I won't. Not because I am a jerk or judging them but because of that small voice that says to do or not to do. As that guy came out of store he sat down on the sidewalk to eat. He had a friend come from behind the store and sat down beside him and they shared the small meal together.
Fast forward to this day and time, less attend church, God has been removed from most every aspect including the schools.
I view that as just an excuse. Its NOBODY elses responsibility to teach Christian's kids about God other than their parents.
Not schools, not society, not the government, nobody.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know , these sorry lazy widowed grandmother's . I can't believe they aren't working .
My wife is a grandmother, and she goes to work every day. I'm a grandfather, and I'm out the door an hour and a half before daylight every morning headed to work. We don't eat leaves. I work with a couple of elderly grandmothers. They are at work every day. They don't eat leaves, either.

I'm sorry. If you sit there and let your grandkids eat leaves for supper while you wait for a handout, you are lazy and trifling, and need to have those kids taken away and a foot put in your behind.

When my grandmother was widowed, she didn't eat leaves, either. She worked her butt off all day growing a big garden, canning food, tending to a flock of chickens, and such. When you went to her house to eat, you got a spread, with no leaves involved.

Last edited:

j_seph

I view that as just an excuse. Its NOBODY elses responsibility to teach Christian's kids about God other than their parents.
But do you agree on in just the topic of more fatherless kids, more kids having babies and more sex out of marriage is greater now then it was then?
Was not God a bigger part of most folks lives then than it is now?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The Government wasn't giving out paychecks for people to stay home, not work, do drugs and breed like rabbits 100-200 years ago.
Having kids back then was not a source of income. You had large families so that the children could help bring in income and do the chores.
Mom and Dad were up early and in bed by 7pm. No TV to stay up.There was time for all that intimacy to produce wanted children.
Now, young healthy(well except for the VD and drugs) teens and 20+ year olds getting paid to have kids, get phones and internet so they can find hookups and drugs. Instead of being tired from working all day, they are fresh and ready to go hit the bars at night and get drunk enough and high enough to get with whoever will have them, get knocked up, have more kids and repeat the cycle. Different dads. Kids are messed up mentally and or physically from the drugs mom did while pregnant and her 56yr old grandma is at home to take care of her kids because her mom is out doing the same things and same guys as the daughter. And the kids are a burden and unwanted and uncared for except when the 1st of the month comes and it pay time.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader

WaltL1

But do you agree on in just the topic of more fatherless kids, more kids having babies and more sex out of marriage is greater now then it was then?
Theres lots more kids now so going to be lots more of everything.
Certainly homes without a father is a huge issue. But the issue is the home is without a father.
As for more sex out of marriage lets not forget girls getting married at 14/15/16 was the norm.
You should check the statistics on abortion, divorce, jail populations etc.
The numbers for Christians are the same as for non-Christians.
There are more Christian schools, churches, organizations now than there ever was.
Yet here in the US Christianity is declining.
Maybe the question is what are Christians/Christianity doing wrong?

WaltL1

My wife is a grandmother, and she goes to work every day. I'm a grandfather, and I'm out the door an hour and a half before daylight every morning headed to work. We don't eat leaves. I work with a couple of elderly grandmothers. They are at work every day. They don't eat leaves, either.

I'm sorry. If you sit there and let your grandkids eat leaves for supper while you wait for a handout, you are lazy and trifling, and need to have those kids taken away and a foot put in your behind.
We don't eat leaves.
That's the understatement of the century!
Ive seen your pics up there in the Outdoor Café forum :p

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Im not getting your point?
This jumped out at me though -
This part.

“The Puritans valued education, both for the sake of religious study (they demanded a great deal of Bible reading)”

and,

“Both boys and girls attended the elementary schools, and there they learned to read, write, cipher, and they also learned religion”

WaltL1

This part.

“The Puritans valued education, both for the sake of religious study (they demanded a great deal of Bible reading)”

and,

“Both boys and girls attended the elementary schools, and there they learned to read, write, cipher, and they also learned religion”
Im still not getting your point but yes religious study in school was the norm.
But there still are Christian schools etc.
I think if Christians didn't get divorces, abortions, get locked up etc etc it would be easier to point a finger at "society".
Society isn't forcing Christians not take their religion as serious as it used to.
I will agree that society makes it tougher for Christian parents. Society makes it tougher on ALL parents than it used to be.
Is that a matter of sociietys strength or is it exposing weakness in religion?

Brother David

When my grandmother was widowed, she didn't eat leaves, either. She worked her butt off all day growing a big garden, canning food, tending to a flock of chickens, and such. When you went to her house to eat, you got a spread, with no leaves involved.
As always y'all are right . Sorry we try to help others . Next year we make sure the mining jobs return to Appalachia so they can take care of themselves .

Brother David

I would like to apologise to all for having a caring and loving heart and putting others before myself . I know this is a terrible stance in today's world where it's every man for himself . I new the well wishes were to good to be true .

I also find it saddening that adults gain satisfaction from children doing whatever it takes to curb hunger pains . I pray that this never happens to you or your family , We are only one aliment away from becoming addicted to perscription drugs . I deal with it regularly from affluent an succesful families . Don't ever say it want to you or your family .

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As always y'all are right . Sorry we try to help others . Next year we make sure the mining jobs return to Appalachia so they can take care of themselves .
I grew up in and have lived in Appalachia all my life-over half a century. All my people are Appalachian. When I was a kid, I've lived without running water or indoor plumbing. Half of the older folks in my family never had indoor plumbing or electricity in their lives. None of them ate leaves. And most of them would have died before they accepted charity.

There are jobs in Appalachia just like anywhere else. I've had one since I was in my early teens. There are also multi-generational welfare families around here who wouldn't have a job if you gave them one. There is also a road going to somewhere that has better jobs, if you're down to eating leaves. The lack of jobs isn't the problem. The folks who want one generally have one. The problem is the attitude of dependency.

Helping people is good. I applaud you doing so.

I'm just saying that some people are beyond help, because they have been raised to think life is about others providing everything for them. If you set many of them up with everything they needed, and a good job, they'd be right back where they are again in a year. By choice.

Brother David

I agree 100 percent that it is a home problem .

I also know that (a figure of speech here ) 99 out of 100 want change , but if one is changed it seems worth it to me .

Brother David

I grew up in and have lived in Appalachia all my life-over half a century. All my people are Appalachian. When I was a kid, I've lived without running water or indoor plumbing. Half of the older folks in my family never had indoor plumbing or electricity in their lives. None of them ate leaves.

There are jobs in Appalachia just like anywhere else. I've had one since I was in my early teens. That's why I have indoor plumbing and don't eat leaves. There are also multi-generational welfare families around here who wouldn't have a job if you gave them one. There is also a road going to somewhere that has better jobs, if you're down to eating leaves. The lack of jobs isn't the problem. The folks who want one generally have one. The problem is the attitude of dependency.
So what's the answers ? Lord knows we have tried .

660griz

Was there a problem 100, 200 years ago as they are today with kids giving birth and kids without no daddy or any idea who daddy was?
Yea but the mommy said, "God is your father". And some folks believed it.

The unwed mom probably just went away for awhile. Had the baby, put it on a boat down the river and went back to the village. She just needed time away to find herself.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So what's the answers ? Lord knows we have tried .
That's a good question. The only real answer is for those folks to take up some personal responsibility and make an effort keep themselves up. There is absolutely no excuse for anybody in any corner of the USA in 2018 to be starving.

There are those who have hit hard times through no fault of their own, and are physically unable to work. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about those families of young, strong folks who have never turned a hand in their lives. And they raise their kids and grandkids up to be the same way.

Brother David

That's a good question. The only real answer is for those folks to take up some personal responsibility and make an effort keep themselves up. There is absolutely no excuse for anybody in any corner of the USA in 2018 to be starving.

There are those who have hit hard times through no fault of their own, and are physically unable to work. I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about those families of young, strong folks who have never turned a hand in their lives. And they raise their kids and grandkids up to be the same way.
I agree totally . You and I also know that the Bible teaches work and that does often present problem areas when and which we help . We don't always get it right ,but we try to . Just as where I live we have system abuse , but I still have to help the children whenever possible and the families who find themselves down , it's just the man I have become .