Beliefs

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Will eventually get where?
To the correct understanding? And what is that?
When the correct understanding is unknown, the only place he will get is to a place which satisfies him. Not necessarily the correct place.
Thats why there is `40,000 denominations. Folks weren't satisfied with "there" but they are satisfied with "here".
I agree that folks satisfaction determines a lot of things. But when self is out of the way it is harder to make those scriptures please our liking. There’s alot of them that step on our toes for correction.

With the right intent, man should never be satisfied with just reading something a couple of times. I dont know many that are not researching and studying on a daily basis.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
To itself. Some versions do not do that. But I will see what they all say.
Consistent to itself.....? What the heck does that even mean?
It uses Shakespearean words which do not even have the same meaning now as they did then, and even then they did not have the same meaning...or even existed in Aramaic/Greek when first written!!!!

I wish more believers would know the history of the religion they are a part of.

A few that participate too infrequently in here are well schooled in their religious history. But not many.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Consistent to itself.....? What the heck does that even mean?
It uses Shakespearean words which do not even have the same meaning now as they did then, and even then they did not have the same meaning...or even existed in Aramaic/Greek when first written!!!!

I wish more believers would know the history of the religion they are a part of.

A few that participate too infrequently in here are well schooled in their religious history. But not many.
It means whatever it says in one particular chapter, another chapter is not going to say the opposite. Not sure if you’re familiar with how any book is written, it will list definitions and if those definitions aren’t there, it means then you can go to Webster for one. The Bible has definitions. Whoever translated it says this means that. For that particular version, it’s consistent from beginning to end with the translator. That was my point.

I’m refraining from personal opions on the rest.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’m not sure the reason you feel the need to dive off like that. I don’t understand that concept. Your simple question of which version and my reasoning for why I think it’s the most consistent to itself should be no offense to you or anyone else. Nothing in my comment demeaned another version and said mine was perfect or meant to establish history of anything. I don’t speak Greek. I speak English. And that version is consistent with the translation that I speak in every story it has.

If you prefer to get technical with translated Greek words, we can do that.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I’m not sure the reason you feel the need to dive off like that. I don’t understand that concept. Your simple question of which version and my reasoning for why I think it’s the most consistent to itself should be no offense to you or anyone else. Nothing in my comment demeaned another version and said mine was perfect or meant to establish history of anything. I don’t speak Greek. I speak English. And that version is consistent with the translation that I speak in every story it has.

If you prefer to get technical with translated Greek words, we can do that.
I am not diving off in a personal manner against anyone. It is hard to convey intent through type. You will read it in whatever manner you think I intend.
What I meant was exactly what I said (that there are a few in here who are well schooled in the religions history) and they are able to compare later versions to earliest copies and see the differences.
I wish more went that far.
That is all.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I am not diving off in a personal manner against anyone. It is hard to convey intent through type. You will read it in whatever manner you think I intend.
What I meant was exactly what I said (that there are a few in here who are well schooled in the religions history) and they are able to compare later versions to earliest copies and see the differences.
I wish more went that far.
That is all.
Ok I misunderstood then.

My meaning of being consistent with itself is assuming the historical research has already taken place. Accuracies and inaccuracies compared to history and other versions were not in the equation.

1gr8bldr

That's why you don't understand Christianity. Scripture is revealed through the Holy Spirit .
We have to be careful because all of these sects and denominations differing, claim to be correct in translation/understanding per the HS. So, many claiming correct doctrine are wrong, because they can't all be right and yet differ. Scripture is what it is, like math, 2 plus 2 is 4. But it's the context that we "read into" that we apply or think we understand a meaning.

Brother David

We have to be careful because all of these sects and denominations differing, claim to be correct in translation/understanding per the HS. So, many claiming correct doctrine are wrong, because they can't all be right and yet differ. Scripture is what it is, like math, 2 plus 2 is 4. But it's the context that we "read into" that we apply or think we understand a meaning.
I tried my best not to get into docturnal or historical discussion about God's Holy Word. I consider most of these debates to be similar to Monday morning quarterbacking .
If a denomination believes in the Holy Trinity and that Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven , I leave the rest up to the Lord .
Look at the very Nation we live in and the vast interpretations of our Declaration of Independence , as well as our Constitution and Bill of Rights . Each side is convinced they are right and know exactly what our founding Fathers meant .

More examples I can use from current historical events to show my avoidance . Did man walk on Moon . Was 9-11 a inside job . The Russian medalling probe .

As we all know the person who pens a paper , pens from there point of view . The person reading the words doesn't always get the same interpretation . This we know as fact , so therefore when I open the Word of God , I ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to me the intended context of the text . I don't always agree with my denominational interpretations of all scripture , but it's the closest to me . I am secure enough in my personal relationship with Christ , that if I am wrong I believe His forgiveness will cover my lack of knowledge as well .

This is the wonderful part of Christ , perfection comes through Him , not what we learn , think or know . Christianity is about God's love for His CREATION , not what we know or think ! The only point we must not miss is Salvation through Christ and Him only . I going to leave the docturnal and historical arguments up to others and just continue to share God's love for the world .

P. S. ; I had older gentleman tell me one time the translation of the Bible I use is Blasphemy . He went on to inform me that Christ spoke in Old English and how dare I change the words that Christ wrote . When I tried to explain to him that I have a speech impediment and can't pronounce some of the words , his answer was quit preaching ! I didn't I just prayed for him . He asked me a few months ago would I speak at his funeral and I gladly accepted . God's goodness revealed !

Israel

BANNED
too smart.jpg
The answers to these and many other questions coming soon!

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
One of the biggest and hardest obstacles to overcome in religion is “self”.
Without disagreeing with you in any way, I would suggest that it is also true that "The biggest and hardest obstacle to leading a good life is self".

I am not at all a fan of Descartes philosophy, as it might seem in that this is the second time I have lately quoted him:

"GOOD sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for every one thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess. And in this it is not likely that all are mistaken: the conviction is rather to be held as testifying that the power of judging aright and of distinguishing Truth from Error, which is properly what is called Good Sense or Reason, is by nature equal in all men; and that the diversity of our opinions, consequently, does not arise from some being endowed with a larger share of Reason than others, but solely from this, that we conduct our thoughts along different ways, and do not fix our attention on the same objects. For to be possessed of a vigorous mind is not enough; the prime requisite is rightly to apply it. The greatest minds, as they are capable of the highest excellencies, are open likewise to the greatest aberrations; and those who travel very slowly may yet make far greater progress, provided they keep always to the straight road, than those who, while they run, forsake it." (Descartes, Discourse on the Method for Conduction One's Reason Well, Part One, opening paragraph)

Israel

BANNED
that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Ha! The educated palate! The discerning taste! The wiser informed! The man who can sit at the five star restaurant and send the plate back with such conviction and impunity, finding the fault in what he says is one grain too much of salt in the Bernaise! Ahhh, at last...an expert willing to huff and go hungry!

Were he told the fault lay only in his tongue...needing more discerning...he would never believe it!

Hunger can indeed work...where all else fails.

And if need be, he can lie as cachectic and desiccated corpse as suitable instruction.

"The chef has unquestionable taste and he refuses to prepare another plate."

There is no other stream.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That's why you don't understand Christianity. Scripture is revealed through the Holy Spirit .
So many struggle with self education trying to analyze....they’re about as sharp as a bowling ball on understanding the spiritual. They’re so focused on proving a story wrong that they completely miss what the story is.

I’ve seen folks analyze the word “knew” and argue that Joseph didn’t even have any “knowledge” of Mary until after the birth of Jesus.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I tried my best not to get into docturnal or historical discussion about God's Holy Word. I consider most of these debates to be similar to Monday morning quarterbacking .
If a denomination believes in the Holy Trinity and that Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven , I leave the rest up to the Lord .
Look at the very Nation we live in and the vast interpretations of our Declaration of Independence , as well as our Constitution and Bill of Rights . Each side is convinced they are right and know exactly what our founding Fathers meant .

More examples I can use from current historical events to show my avoidance . Did man walk on Moon . Was 9-11 a inside job . The Russian medalling probe .

As we all know the person who pens a paper , pens from there point of view . The person reading the words doesn't always get the same interpretation . This we know as fact , so therefore when I open the Word of God , I ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to me the intended context of the text . I don't always agree with my denominational interpretations of all scripture , but it's the closest to me . I am secure enough in my personal relationship with Christ , that if I am wrong I believe His forgiveness will cover my lack of knowledge as well .

This is the wonderful part of Christ , perfection comes through Him , not what we learn , think or know . Christianity is about God's love for His CREATION , not what we know or think ! The only point we must not miss is Salvation through Christ and Him only . I going to leave the docturnal and historical arguments up to others and just continue to share God's love for the world .

P. S. ; I had older gentleman tell me one time the translation of the Bible I use is Blasphemy . He went on to inform me that Christ spoke in Old English and how dare I change the words that Christ wrote . When I tried to explain to him that I have a speech impediment and can't pronounce some of the words , his answer was quit preaching ! I didn't I just prayed for him . He asked me a few months ago would I speak at his funeral and I gladly accepted . God's goodness revealed !
It sounds like the god you worship is no greater than the men who created him.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
So many struggle with self education trying to analyze....they’re about as sharp as a bowling ball on understanding the spiritual. They’re so focused on proving a story wrong that they completely miss what the story is.

I’ve seen folks analyze the word “knew” and argue that Joseph didn’t even have any “knowledge” of Mary until after the birth of Jesus.
Spirit of the gaps.
It is another invisible excuse to try to make sense within one's own mind.