Battling turn over in clubs

HavocLover

Our club seems to struggle with turn over quite often. Even with great deer on the property and a good atmosphere within the group. I’m curious everyone’s experiences because I’m certain we are the only ones battling this. How do y’all go about counteracting turn over?

We’ve had everything from folks that just weren’t a good fit and we mutually parted ways. Guys that get upset cause another club member shot “their deer.” And of course the financial issues factor.

You always gonna have the members who think that certain deer belong to them.
Ive never understood that but ive seen it in every club ive hunted in. So I always make a point to show those particular members my kill. As far as the member turn over, I don't know how to fix that. All clubs ive been in have that problem also.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
All groups have turnover. Churches, Civic organizations, etc.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I guess I'm just lucky.. The three clubs I've been in during my entire hunting career have all had waiting lists. The one that did break up was due to the owner getting greedy with the dues.

HavocLover

We lose 4-5 a year out of 15 members total. The core group remains the same though.
Same with us. Few guys are always gonna be there. Nice not to have to worry about them, but doesn’t help with the aggravation of having to constantly fill the other spots

transfixer

Having been in the same club on the same lease for 40 yrs, I can tell you its unavoidable, there will always be guys that leave for one reason or another, and inevitably there will be guys who will not be allowed back in either because they didn't follow the rules, or their personality clashed with everyone else.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is the best group we have had in a while. 1st Time in awhile I have not had to have a chat with one. We where 2 short. Could of filled it. Just seems we didn’t find the right 2.
4 of the members I really never see. We have 2 camps. One at my house. The other at my buddy’s house. He see them. Well he sees everybody. In the off season if you put up a private stand. He goes with u to see it so he will know where everyone is. He puts a pin on the map. U pin in when here. Club stand or yours. Has your name on tag.
I do the recruiting. My wife keeps the books.
The good food is true.
Good fire.
A beer don’t hurt. None seem to get drunk. Have not seen that. A couple don’t drink.
No traffic while they are gone. When they come back a lot of areas no one has been there but deer. 4 good bucks got killed out of one club stand by 4 different hunters.no one tried to take it over. Anyway there maybe no turn over here unless something happen to where they can’t get back in.

Mako22

BANNED
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Focus on you having fun on the lease and not on who leaves. It used to bother me but then I realized people get out every year for different reasons. Every season I put one or two new guys in who then never show up and hunt; it happens every year and I love it, those are my kind of members. The no-shows never get back in the next season so I roll in some new ones. I have found over the last few years that if I am consistent with what I say, the rules and how I treat each member there seems to be less getting out each year. Last year we had 4 leave and this year we have 2. The first year I took over the club I had to find 9 new members but it has gone down each year. As club president I ALWAYS tell the guys the truth and NEVER lie. I inform them of any notifications from the timber company ASAP thru text or phone call. I also don't have any "friends" on the lease and I tell all of them this every year. No one gets any special treatment concerning dues, rules or hunting spots. The only special rule I have that favors me alone is that if you tick me off and cause me to not have fun on the lease then you will not be coming back for another year.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
The only club i was ever in I watched alot of the older members Shun the New guys somewhat. I am an outgoing person that never met a stranger and I always tried to make sure i included the new guys and offered up any advice I could. Showed them Open areas to hunt and made things as easy as i could for them. I have some great friends now because of that. Keep in mind they ARE the outsider walking in to a new club. Make sure to let them know they are appreciated and always welcome.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This is the best group we have had in a while. 1st Time in awhile I have not had to have a chat with one. We where 2 short. Could of filled it. Just seems we didn’t find the right 2.
4 of the members I really never see. We have 2 camps. One at my house. The other at my buddy’s house. He see them. Well he sees everybody. In the off season if you put up a private stand. He goes with u to see it so he will know where everyone is. He puts a pin on the map. U pin in when here. Club stand or yours. Has your name on tag.
The good food is true.
Good fire.
A beer don’t hurt. None seem to get drunk. Have not seen that. A couple don’t drink.
No traffic while they are gone. When they come back a lot of areas no one has been there but deer. 4 good bucks got killed out of one club stand by 4 different hunters.no one tried to take it over. Anyway there maybe no turn over here unless something happen to where they can’t get back in.

It`s been long years since I was in a club, and I don`t ever look to get in another one. If I did though, I would wait for an opening in the club you have. I think you have a good thing going.

j_seph

Our club seems to struggle with turn over quite often. Even with great deer on the property and a good atmosphere within the group. I’m curious everyone’s experiences because I’m certain we are the only ones battling this. How do y’all go about counteracting turn over?

We’ve had everything from folks that just weren’t a good fit and we mutually parted ways. Guys that get upset cause another club member shot “their deer.” And of course the financial issues factor.
We countered this from starting at 11 members, down to 8 members until there were 4 of us with all the same goals. At that point last year, 2 of the 8 got out, I let the other 2 go and now us 4 have a lease with the same goals in mind. Sure is peaceful nowadays as well.

kingfish

I was in a club for 11 years. It was a great club and well run but we still had about a 35% turnover every year. What got us through was referrals from trusted members. That filled up a portion. If we had to advertise, there was an interview process that helped weed out potential problems

280 Man

Banned
worst thing can happen is for a new guy to show up and start whacking good bucks. especially in areas the other members think aren't good areas to hunt.

That's just pure envy... It's not "new guys" fault that the other guys don't know how to find the "good bucks!!!!!

This kind of "stuff" is the reason I have my own 160 acres. I don't have to worry jealousy, strife or envy...Got it all to myself and can hunt it as I wish..

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
worst thing can happen is for a new guy to show up and start whacking good bucks. especially in areas the other members think aren't good areas to hunt.

Had that happen to a good friend of mine a number of years ago in a club. He killed two very nice bucks and wasn't invited back the next year. This is a guy that is one of the nicest, easy going people I know. And the other members were people we both knew and considered friends.

86ccord

That's funny you say that. The club i'm apart of now let me hunt as a guest a few times before I bought my membership. During that time I killed the biggest buck ever pulled out of there...still hold that record too! lol glad they were good sports about it!

PappyHoel

The good food is true.
Good fire.
If I was closer to you I would want to be on your clubs.