Deer baiting during turkey season

280 Man

Banned
Our local DNR ranger said it was okay as long as you were over 200 yards and out of line of sight and not intercepting the turkeys going to the feeder.

It seems that if corn/bait are out that anywhere "you" set up would be intercepting the turkeys heading to the bait.

Possum

Banned
It seems that if corn/bait are out that anywhere "you" set up would be intercepting the turkeys heading to the bait.

Not if they have been to feeder already. Then, you see, you are catching them on way to roost. Totally different.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Per GA DNR! If you own 500 acres you can't even put corn on 1 acre of it.

Just remember that even in areas where hunting deer over bait is legal, no where in Georgia can you hunt turkeys on property that is baited.

So what if it’s a 10,000 acre plantation?

"Our local DNR ranger said it was okay as long as you were over 200 yards and out of line of sight and not intercepting the turkeys going to the feeder. "

this is not in your game regulations

280 Man

Banned
I'm not sure how that would be determined, that is what he said.

Did you get this "guys" name and badge number!! You gonna need it so you tell the judge what he said you could do. If there's on thing Im sure of, it really doesn't matter what some "officer" says you can or cannot do. What matters is, the actual law statute..

I'm not sure about your game laws but where Im from. If the LEO's catch you hunting over, near bait, they just bow their heads and say, "Lord, we thank you for what we are about to receive"

Good luck.....

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Has anyone mentioned knowledge and intent yet?

Tideup

Did you get this "guys" name and badge number!! You gonna need it so you tell the judge what he said you could do. If there's on thing Im sure of, it really doesn't matter what some "officer" says you can or cannot do. What matters is, the actual law statute..

I'm not sure about your game laws but where Im from. If the LEO's catch you hunting over, near bait, they just bow their heads and say, "Lord, we thank you for what we are about to receive"

Good luck.....
I didn't have to ,I know him personally and he would be the one to write the ticket.
I also don't turkey hunt so it really doesn't make any difference to me.

Possum

Banned
You trying to one up me with those fancy little do-hickys over your letters?

turkeykirk

Our local DNR ranger said it was okay as long as you were over 200 yards and out of line of sight and not intercepting the turkeys going to the feeder.

Was always taught to get between the gobbler and where he wants to go. Gonna be a lot easier this year with the corn feeders out.:biggrin2: