Ideas on the Gift Rifle

While the hunt is still a long way off, and I have no idea who our honored guest might be, I'd enjoy seeing some suggestions as to what type rifle I should purchase for our next gift hog hunt in Georgia. I believe this will be our 8th such hunt and rifles we have presented previously include; Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308, Winchester M70 FW in '06, Savage Lightweight in .308, Weatherby Vanguard Carbine .308 and Remington M750. Yes, there are some duplicates there.

I'm strongly considering the Mossberg Patriot (love the name!), or perhaps the Ruger American (same reason). The rifle should be a bit less $$ than previous ones(?), as I plan on topping it with a scope with illuminated reticle, something fairly new. The rifle will be either an '06 or a .308, period.

Last year's guest. A Georgia guy, retired Army, and his big Boar. Savage M10 Lightweight, .308 topped with a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33.

Almost forgot.. thanks in advance for your input!

thumbnail-74.jpeg

Dub

I'm liking the looks of that Mossberg Patriot Hunter. I'm a sucker for wood stocked guns lately.

lonewolf247

The Mossberg Patriot has a lot of nice features, and a wood stock, in a low cost rifle. I see them advertised at Buds Gun shop for $350-400.

The Ruger American seems to get pretty good views, and can be had with the plain synthetic stock for about $300.

I’d be tempted to try the Patriot, in wood...

Horns

How about that illuminated scope though? I put a Sig Sauer Tango 3 (iirc) on my 45/70 that I bought for woods/pig gun

How about that illuminated scope though? I put a Sig Sauer Tango 3 (iirc) on my 45/70 that I bought for woods/pig gun

I have both the Whiskey 5 and Whiskey 3 (2) with illuminated reticles from Sig and I am very impressed. The 5 has a Triplex(#4) and the 3s have quadplex with center dots. I'm very impressed with the quality of all 3.

Horns

Thank you for making me remember correctly. Mine is a Whiskey 3

GunnSmokeer

Rifle: Ruger American PREDATOR, in .308, with the threaded muzzle. ($350)

And, give that lucky guy a DUMMY SUPPRESSOR for it ($60. Make sure it's threaded 5/8" x 24 tpi).

Darien1

I have one of the Ruger American's in 7.62X39 and that short lil' carbine seems to me to be the perfect hog rifle. It's extremely accurate.

I gotta say it: Model 70 FW

I have given two new M70 Featherweights, but that was before I changed over from VX2 to VX-Rs to top the rifles with. Yes, the M70 FWs are great rifles, I own a bunch of M70s.

One given on this Georgia hog hunt, and the other given on a Maine bear hunt I sponsored a few years back.

6ifcyx.jpg

Rich Kaminski

Where did you get that flashlight mount on your rifle?

Latest posts