Need input on new hunting rifle purchase

ssramage

I'm going to be picking up a new hunting rifle for this year, and likely sending my current rifle to NRG for an overhaul. Currently shooting a Rem 700 ADL .25-06 but having some feeding issues. I've been wanting to do it, and have some $$$ saved to do so.

So, in order to not be "down" a rifle, I'll be buying a new one to be the workhorse for this season. I have others I could use, but I've made up in my mind that it's a necessity...:ROFLMAO:

Here's the criteria
Caliber: 7mm-08
Fairly Lightweight
Good enough quality to pass down one day (aka I don't want a Ruger American)
Budget +/- $1500

Rifles I'm currently considering but open to recommendations: Win 70 Extreme Weather ($1300-1400), Browning BAR MK3 Satin/Wood ($1300), Tikka (~$700-800), Other???

I have shot Rem 700s FOREVER, but thinking of trying something different. Will likely have to order online since gun shops down here are terrible and rarely carry decent inventory.

I'll likely top it with my old VX3i 3.5-10x44 for now and pick up a VX5HD for the rifle I'm building.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Look around and you can find new “old stock” in a Ruger All Weather for 1K or less.
I have one in .308 and will be proud to pass it down.

B. White

After years of Remington, I bought Howa the past few . I thought it was the best bang for the buck (at the time), since I could get barreled actions and match with the stock I wanted for each rifle.

menhadenman

I finally caved to Tikka fanboys and bought one two years ago (T3X lite, stainless 6.5 CM). Shoots like a laser and the stories are all true. I also bought an X-Bolt (HC Speed 7RM) I can say the same there, a dang fine rifle. These two quickly became my two of my favorites.

I’d see if you can get your hands on a few different models, sometimes that goes a long way. Good luck!

Big7

The Oracle
The Ruger American, or anything Ruger is very durable and plenty good enough to be an heirloom rifle IMO.

Having said that: I'd go with the newer, and just as good as an M77 MK II is the Hawkeye.

AWESOME ACTION, as close as you can get to the original Mauser action. And we know it's the best. ?

I have several Ruger M77 MKII's and love all of them.

Available in different OA length, bbl weight / lengths , wood, composite or straight synthetic.

CAN'T GO WRONG WITH A RUGER. ?

Tight Lines

Tikka or Sako in that range...can probably find a Sako for $1900ish...if you really want to step up you can get a Cooper for mid-2000s. Other than that, everything else had been said...

It is super hard to beat a Tikka synthetic in stainless for $650...then put a $1200 Swaro on top of it and you have a lights out weapon...

SC Hunter

Tikka or Bergara.

My buddy has a Tikka T3 in 22-250 that is absolutely lights out accurate. He's had it for a while now and we have killed a pile of stuff with it.