Need input on new hunting rifle purchase

Mattval

How about a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08?
I shot a Rem Model 7 in 6mm for yrs. Loved it. It is very light weight.
Also check out the Savage Light-Weight Hunter in 7mm-08.

Mattval

Pandemic ammo availability
Just about no ammo is around of any caliber
I think by now the 7mm-08 would be considered a common caliber.

chuckdog

A few things I don't like about the Tikka.

The DBM is something I detest in a fine hunting rifle. I'd rather have the blind magazine your ADL came with.

Same length action regardless of caliber. Why carry a long action rifle in a short action caliber?

Overall feel of the stock. Unless the newer ones are different, they can get slick when sweat or rain is a factor.

Here's the kick in the butt, of all you listed the T3 would be my choice. The price to performance ratio has been excellent with every T3 I've owned or shot.

Even with all I don't like about it, the proof is in the field. The glass like bolt, lightweight, good trigger and excellent accuracy make them a value and enable me to overlook their negatives.

I'd love to see the T3 offered in 7X57 and/or .280 Remington.

As posted earlier, spend the money saved buying the T3 on good optics.

PS: The T3 makes a fine single shot too. This you'll find out when your magazine is 60 mile away. Spend a little of that savings on a extra mag.

01Foreman400

Staff member
A few things I don't like about the Tikka.

The DBM is something I detest in a fine hunting rifle. I'd rather have the blind magazine your ADL came with.

Same length action regardless of caliber. Why carry a long action rifle in a short action caliber?

Overall feel of the stock. Unless the newer ones are different, they can get slick when sweat or rain is a factor.

Here's the kick in the butt, of all you listed the T3 would be my choice. The price to performance ratio has been excellent with every T3 I've owned or shot.

Even with all I don't like about it, the proof is in the field. The glass like bolt, lightweight, good trigger and excellent accuracy make them a value and enable me to overlook their negatives.

I'd love to see the T3 offered in 7X57 and/or .280 Remington.

As posted earlier, spend the money saved buying the T3 on good optics.

PS: The T3 makes a fine single shot too. This you'll find out when your magazine is 60 mile away. Spend a little of that savings on a extra mag.

I didn’t like the T3 stocks. The T3x stocks have a better feel.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Unless I find a deal in the next few days on something else, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking a few of the above suggestions and going with a Tikka T3X stainless topped with a Leupold VX-5hd 3-15x44 Firedot. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Can't go wrong with that glass. (y)

lonewolf247

I'd consider the Browning Bar, if you like the idea of semi-auto. I've been using them for over 35 years myself. Choose that, and your done. Take care of it, and hand it down.

Other choices for me, would be the Weatherby Vanguard, or the Bergara. The Weatherby would leave the most room for upgrading the optics, with the extra money available. Meopta would be my choice on a riflescope.