Mountain boots

strothershwacker

I dont think a snake would bite a man just walking by. I say that because i've walked by so many that never moved. Rattlers & copperheads up here and several cottonmouths down south that are supposedly real aggresive. They've all just sat motionless or coild up as i cruise by. Now if you actually stepped ON one and smashed em, well then you'd probly find out what a snake bite feels like!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I dont think a snake would bite a man just walking by. I say that because i've walked by so many that never moved. Rattlers & copperheads up here and several cottonmouths down south that are supposedly real aggresive. They've all just sat motionless or coild up as i cruise by. Now if you actually stepped ON one and smashed em, well then you'd probly find out what a snake bite feels like!

Don`t bet a lot of money on that. A lot depends on the temperament of that particular snake.

Buckman18

I look at it like lightning. You can stand outside in a storm with a metal antenna in your hand, and probably NOT get hit. But if you do, there’s zero forgiveness. So it’s safer to just go inside.

I can walk through a rattler den in the mountains where I can’t see my feet well due to the brush and probably NOT get bit. But if I do, and Im way back in yonder by myself, I’d feel like an idiot at at best, and die a miserable death at worst. So I wear snake boots when the snakes are out. I never wore a pair in my life until 3 yr ago, but having all these kids changes the way a man thinks.

So far... knock on wood... my Rocky’s have held up good and are comfortable.

Mark K

Banned
Only been hit by a Copperhead. I didn’t even know it other than felt something slap my boot, sorta like when you step on a limb and it comes up and pops your boot. My son was following me and it freaked him out a little. He thought I’d gotten bit.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I look at it like lightning. You can stand outside in a storm with a metal antenna in your hand, and probably NOT get hit. But if you do, there’s zero forgiveness. So it’s safer to just go inside.

I can walk through a rattler den in the mountains where I can’t see my feet well due to the brush and probably NOT get bit. But if I do, and Im way back in yonder by myself, I’d feel like an idiot at at best, and die a miserable death at worst. So I wear snake boots when the snakes are out. I never wore a pair in my life until 3 yr ago, but having all these kids changes the way a man thinks.

So far... knock on wood... my Rocky’s have held up good and are comfortable.

Good plan, Joey. Something else to think about too. As you get older (not saying you`re old!) it gets harder to shake off something like that. In my younger days even when I was catching them to sell, snakebite wasn`t something I worried about at all. Nowadays, even though I still like to fool with em, and take pictures, I`m extra cautious. I done got old, plus, has anybody priced Crofab lately?

Couple of times I`ve been hit on the boot, unintentionally, by snakes I walked by but didn`t touch.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Something else about down here. I know Mark knows this, but some of you might not be aware of it. If you`re walking by gopher holes, a lot of folks are concentrating on the opening of the hole and the clean area in front of it. Pay attention to those bushy little scrub oaks, myrtle bushes, and grass clumps close by. That`s where your diamondback (s) will probably be found.

Mark K

Banned
Something else about down here. I know Mark knows this, but some of you might not be aware of it. If you`re walking by gopher holes, a lot of folks are concentrating on the opening of the hole and the clean area in front of it. Pay attention to those bushy little scrub oaks, myrtle bushes, and grass clumps close by. That`s where your diamondback (s) will probably be found.
That’s cause that gopher ain’t the only occupant that utilizes those holes through the day. They even documented quail using them during this past hurricane. Easy ambush point.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Sweet! Please share when you check the cards.

Will do. You too. Somebody was wondering if these cameras will take pictures of movement from a cold blooded critter. I guess we`ll see?

tree cutter 08

Had a few close calls, one with a copperhead and other with a rattler. Son got bit last year by a copperhead. Thankfully it was a dry bite. Right on the knee through blue jeans.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Had a few close calls, one with a copperhead and other with a rattler. Son got bit last year by a copperhead. Thankfully it was a dry bite. Right on the knee through blue jeans.

On the knee is higher than snake boots come up so, is he a youth so not to be as tall or was he down on the ground for some reason.

Making me think about wearing my snake chaps instead of buying boots.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
On the knee is higher than snake boots come up so, is he a youth so not to be as tall or was he down on the ground for some reason.

A pair of knee high snake gaiters coupled with sturdy leather work boots will serve you well at less expense than a pair of quality snake boots.

tree cutter 08

I doubt you would have to worry about a knee bite. He was 7 then. He was next to a pile of logs when it happened.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I doubt you would have to worry about a knee bite. He was 7 then. He was next to a pile of logs when it happened.

That makes sense. Many copperheads I have seen have been off the ground on a stump or log sunning.