Non Drinking Clubs

brian lancaster

Im not trying to sound better than anybody as im just a sinner saved by grace but its disheartening to see all the drinking in a sport I grew up loving and see nothing good whatsoever that came out of drinking anywhere must less a deercamp with guns everywhere. Im pretty confident the creator of all things wants us to enjoy his creation with a clear mind

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don’t care what people do until it could possibly effect me or my family.
A few beverages before a decent bedtime, have at it. Start cussing my younguns or making comments about my wife and they’ll sleep real good. When I was club looking I tried to find more of a family oriented club.
With that being said, I was in a duck club that could get as rowdy as a biker gang, but let a lady or kid show up and they wouldn’t even think about getting out of line.
The head man in charge had a “last call time” so to speak. You could drink as much and as long as you wanted, but past a certain time and you wouldn’t be putting your waders on the next morning. A drunk with a loaded shotgun in a steel pit just wasn’t gonna happen.

This. Most hunting clubs used to be like that too. Even the roughest of crowds would be respectful around women and children. Sadly that seems to be fading into the past.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Amazing to me that some people think it's ok to that and even think it makes them look cool or tough. I guaran-dang-tee you that I don't tolerate that kind of crap around my daughter and people shouldn't have to be told but there are a lot of grown up teenagers in the hunting community unfortunately.

I agree with you completely. There is no reason to be crude around kids in camp or anywhere else for that matter. If it happens they should be removed from the club, whether it was caused by alcohol consumption or just being an idiot shouldnt matter much though.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Im not trying to sound better than anybody as im just a sinner saved by grace but its disheartening to see all the drinking in a sport I grew up loving and see nothing good whatsoever that came out of drinking anywhere must less a deercamp with guns everywhere. Im pretty confident the creator of all things wants us to enjoy his creation with a clear mind

Man the spirit of what you said was nothing but the truth. You might have worded it a little more artfully but that's no big deal. If they make fun of you for having your priorities straight that's on them not you.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Im not trying to sound better than anybody

Well you're doing a good job of it Brian. I allow drinking at my place once the guns have all been put away for the day. 2 or 3 fingers of good sippin' whiskey shared with close friends around the wood burning stove with a Coleman lantern hissing overhead talking about the events of the day, who shot what and who sat on their butt enriches the experience for all.

Wayne D Davis

My dad was a drinker and ran a club many yrs back in late 60 thru early 70s. Marietta Rod and Gun club. He loved his black label. But if you came in camp where the drinking was allowed with a loaded gun you probably wouldn't be run off but a tall whoopin would take place in quick order

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don’t drink...haven’t had a drink since ‘93. I find some drunks hilarious. It’s a great way to find out what bucks are being seen and where, lol.

I'll still have a beer or two now and then or a nip of whiskey or home made liquor if it's cold outside. But I don't lay with it like I used to because I realized that I wasn't fun to be around when I overdid it. Do right and respect others. It's not hard.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's why Jesus turned water into wine for a party, I guess. If Jesus drunk wine, how can you condemn a man for drinking a beer?

I think some of y'all think somebody drinking a beer equates staggering drunkenness. If you can't drink without getting obnoxiously drunk, you probably shouldn't drink. Not everyone who has a drink around the campfire at night is a drunk, bud. And I doubt if our Creator appointed you to judge us for it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I'll still have a beer or two now and then or a nip of whiskey or home made liquor if it's cold outside. But I don't lay with it like I used to because I realized that I wasn't fun to be around when I overdid it. Do right and respect others. It's not hard.

It really is that easy. I hear even cavemen can understand it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

:cheers:
And some might learn that respecting others doesn't include condemning them for having a drink after a day of hunting, either, just because it doesn't fit into their personal belief system. .

Sixes

There is no place for drinking in a hunting club period. Guns and alcohol have never mixed and never will. What does that teach our kids. Shouldn’t even be a topic about it. Another sign of the ignorance of living outside of Gods plan
It teaches our kids about drinking responsibly and that moderate, controlled drinking is not an issue.

I had much rather have my daughter around responsible adults having a few drinks or even pointing out what happens when someone has too many, than to hide drinking from her and make her curious.

I've always thought kids that grew up with responsible drinkers are a lot less apt to go crazy with alcohol than kids that have been shielded from drinking.

Latest posts