Wake Boats

Teh Wicked

Out west Wake boats are getting banned left and right, simply put they do destroy the lake and lake property. There is no arguing it, the facts and science at there. The biggest problem you're facing is the amount of money those stupid things bring in. People go out every year and put $100,000 on loan to buy a fancy new boat to try and get some trim at the lake. And then the other half just never grew out of the 18yr old phase....

Evntually they will get banned, but don't expect it anytime soon, its going to take years of issues and insurance companies having to pay the bills of the damage being caused. the best defense you can start up is claiming those ding and damage they cause, even if you don't collect on it, notifying the insurance company of the damage will create a record. Creating a record will provide a price tag on the damage. Once the politician's realize they are losing more money to damage than collecting on taxes, they will ban them faster than you could imagine.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Out west Wake boats are getting banned left and right, simply put they do destroy the lake and lake property. There is no arguing it, the facts and science at there. The biggest problem you're facing is the amount of money those stupid things bring in. People go out every year and put $100,000 on loan to buy a fancy new boat to try and get some trim at the lake. And then the other half just never grew out of the 18yr old phase....

Evntually they will get banned, but don't expect it anytime soon, its going to take years of issues and insurance companies having to pay the bills of the damage being caused. the best defense you can start up is claiming those ding and damage they cause, even if you don't collect on it, notifying the insurance company of the damage will create a record. Creating a record will provide a price tag on the damage. Once the politician's realize they are losing more money to damage than collecting on taxes, they will ban them faster than you could imagine.
Well said.

LTZ25

What is trim ?

greg_n_clayton

10 ft wave seems exaggerated somewhat. We anglers come by it honestly. I'd have to see it to believe it.
By Jesus I have !! The lake is very narrow there !! I am telling you sir...they are higher than Atlantic waves and they surf behind the boats with no ropes !!

greg_n_clayton

I got a friend on Rabun. A wave came up over his dock and knocked the sconce light fixtures off the wall of his boat house !

across the river

By Jesus I have !! The lake is very narrow there !! I am telling you sir...they are higher than Atlantic waves and they surf behind the boats with no ropes !!

There aren't anywhere close to 10 foot waves coming off a wake boat. If you are going to have a discussion that is fine, but don't make stuff up just to support your side.

Stroker

We live on Jackson, which is a small lake compared to Toona and Lanier and the wake boats are brutal out here. People are having their floating docks broken off and one guy installed rip rap last year, and the waves were so rough, the rip rap washed into the lake. The waves are getting so big, they wash over sea walls and erode them from behind. We stay off the lake on the weekends to avoid the madness. I can't see what DNR or anybody else can do about it. How do you tell a guy who spent $60K (a guess) on a boat that he can't use it?

60K for a older used one , new cheap ones start at 100K+, top of the line 130K+.

greg_n_clayton

There aren't anywhere close to 10 foot waves coming off a wake boat. If you are going to have a discussion that is fine, but don't make stuff up just to support your side.
i replace his lights and helped put his boats back on the lifts ! Don't call me a liar in open fourum !! Do it in private !!

Last edited by a moderator:

across the river

i replace his lights and helped put his boats back on the lifts ! Don't call me a liar in open fourum !! Do it in private !!

So a 21' foot wake boat is kicking up a wave that is from top to bottom the height of a basketball goal. Lets be for real. That means that you would be able to even remotely see the person "surfing" if they were on the other side of the boat, and the top of the wave would be crashing onto the second story of a double decker floating dock. Unless a freight container is running by the dock hauling thousands of containers from overseas, you aren't getting 10 foot wakes, or anything close. I have been on, pulled behind, and seen plenty of wakes boats. There isn't a one ought there that has ever kicked up a wake that I couldn't see over the top of. They aren't even close to 10 foot waves. Before you respond got youtube a ten foot wave and watch the video.

greg_n_clayton

So a 21' foot wake boat is kicking up a wave that is from top to bottom the height of a basketball goal. Lets be for real. That means that you would be able to even remotely see the person "surfing" if they were on the other side of the boat, and the top of the wave would be crashing onto the second story of a double decker floating dock. Unless a freight container is running by the dock hauling thousands of containers from overseas, you aren't getting 10 foot wakes, or anything close. I have been on, pulled behind, and seen plenty of wakes boats. There isn't a one ought there that has ever kicked up a wake that I couldn't see over the top of. They aren't even close to 10 foot waves. Before you respond got youtube a ten foot wave and watch the video.
You must be a wake boat owner !! His dock is about 2' above full pool. The lights were right a top of door !! So I stand corrected ! 2 ' plus the 6'8" door makes it around 8'6" ...at least !!

TroyBoy30

They aren’t even close to 10 foot waves. Not close to 8.6 either. A top of the line boat with huge ballast would max out around 4 ft. Not sure why all fisherman exaggerate wave height. They say it all the time. My boat runs good in 4 footers. You ain’t never seen a true 4 footer. I’ll play devils advocate here...where do you draw the line. You gonna ban the cruisers next?

http://www.boardersmag.com/articles/is-malibu-the-best-wakesurf-boat

Last edited:

littlejon

They aren’t even close to 10 foot waves. Not close to 8.6 either. A top of the line boat with huge ballast would max out around 4 ft. Not sure why all fisherman exaggerate wave height. They say it all the time. My boat runs good in 4 footers. You ain’t never seen a true 4 footer. I’ll play devils advocate here...where do you draw the line. You gonna ban the cruisers next?

http://www.boardersmag.com/articles/is-malibu-the-best-wakesurf-boat

Yes, them also. Draw the line where it becomes a safety issue or does property damage or causes a decline of the "average Joe" wanting to go out in a yak or out with his family in a smaller watercraft. Less cruisers and wake boaters would only bring more smaller craft onto the lakes. I would like to see the number of boats that do not hit the water vs the number of sizeable wake making vessels. The money and people on the lakes would increase imo

LTZ25

A 4.3 foot wave can be very destructive and inconsiderate to say the least , another thing a wave can travel a very long distance and still do a lot of damage . my brother has a house on Watts Bar on the main channel where its about a mile wide and a 40 ft cruiser can come by and you forget you saw it until the waves finally reach shore about 5 minutes later . someone is going to get sued by a injured boater or dock owner soon .