The jehovah witness ladies came knocking today...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will point out that from what I have seen, they are not all black. This has come up in several post. In my area, it seems to be 50/50, yet, what do I really know?
?
I have seen hundreds of JW's around here. I have never, ever seen a black JW.

transfixer

?
I have seen hundreds of JW's around here. I have never, ever seen a black JW.

Oh, there are plenty of them, around the Metro Atl area it reflects the population, even out here in the suburbs where I live the congregations are probably 50/50, and they have Spanish speaking congregations as well.

transfixer

I had a JW employee for a few months as I was working out of town. I discovered that not all JW's believe or convey their belifs the same. We had lots of conversations. He kept a detailed record of all his time spent witnessing, of which I pointed out, why, if you really believe that your not working your way into heaven. They claim they are not, that it's just the correct response, yet, why then the log book? He would not ever concede that this was contradictory. I feel like he was proud of his work accumulation. It is the proper response to react in giving back... just without the log book

They keep track of their hours in service for the elders, its more or less a status thing, those that put in a lot of hours in service are looked at as being better followers, if they choose to " pioneer " it means they are committing to putting in "x" amount of hours a month going door to door, something like 70 to 100 hrs in order to qualify as a pioneer.

WaltL1

I had a JW employee for a few months as I was working out of town. I discovered that not all JW's believe or convey their belifs the same. We had lots of conversations. He kept a detailed record of all his time spent witnessing, of which I pointed out, why, if you really believe that your not working your way into heaven. They claim they are not, that it's just the correct response, yet, why then the log book? He would not ever concede that this was contradictory. I feel like he was proud of his work accumulation. It is the proper response to react in giving back... just without the log book
I feel like he was proud of his work accumulation.
I would imagine its the same sense of pride some Christians get when a certain % of their income goes to tithing every month. Tithing = sacrifice. Religions are all about its members sacrificing. Apparently the more you sacrifice, the better a god feels about themselves and therefore will shine a brighter light on you.
Depending on where you sit, one could view tithing as an attempt to buy your way into heaven. To the Christian doing the tithing, they feel they are simply giving back to the church/God - which is the "proper response".

kmh1031

Simply put we keep track of time, placements, bible studies etc so we can see how well worldwide We as Christians are fulfilling Jesus command at Matt 24:14 and Matt 28:19-20

It has noting to do with status, they are not published publicly or shared for each individual to see another’s

Just the numbers as a whole are tabulated, per Congreation, per country, then world figures.
Several billion hours worldwide Are spent in the ministry
Hundreds of thousands of bible studies Conducted
Over 900 Languages are now being translated on our website
Over 200k are baptized annually.

All of this helps us see progress via our preaching work and how we are fulfilling the above scripture and much more.

Those that can invest more in the ministry do... but the command to preach is To every true Christian not just those in the pulpits...

Hope this helps answering the question

transfixer

Everyone in the congregation knows which members have the most hours in service, especially those that do participate in going in service, and they are looked up to, its not supposed to be a status thing, but of course it is, don't kid yourself. Those who pioneer and put in a lot of hours are looked up to. As an example to follow. And the gossip vine is just as prevalent in Kingdom Halls as it is out in the rest of the world !

kmh1031

Not sure where u get ur info or if it is tainted for some reason..
but no... hours are not public or talked about like a status symbol unless it is causally done.
It is not a status symbol at all... it is considered sacred service and a privilege to preach whether u get 15 min as my 94 yr old mom did... or more.. Apparently you have a different view or experience than I have of over 60 years

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Today two older women came knocking. "We wanted to talk to you about how everything is so crazy these days with the shootings and the tornadoes and hurricanes. God didn't intend for things to be this way and he has a plan and we would like to talk to you about some things." How do you guys normally respond to this? I've had a couple times where I thought about challenging them on why they believe what they do or saying no thanks and shutting the door but I didn't want to be rude so I told them I didn't have time but would take whatever material they wanted to give me. They gave me a pamphlet and asked when would be a better time to come back. "The weekend perhaps?" I gave the non-committal maybe some other time response and they left. Hope I didn't encourage them to come back again by being too nice.

Does anyone actually invite these people in and listen to their sales pitch? It's kind of like real world spam. It must work some percentage of time or they wouldn't keep doing it right?

I invite them in and treat them like royalty, better than family. I give them snacks and something to drink, then we sit down and I listen to their points. I counter their beliefs with reason, but remain gracious. Most will leave when they become uncomfortable, but I remain gracious always and tell them the door is always open to them if they want to come back. I have never had them or the Mormons come back. Apparently being kind to them get's you black-balled in their book. It's very difficult for someone to dismiss you if you are kind and honest. It makes them uncomfortable that you don't fit their preconceived stereotype. When they get back to church and tell folks how nice you was to them and how you had valid points, someone will stop them from coming back. A few years back we did this with some young Mormon missionaries. They were great guys and we treated them to my wife's home made spiced peaches and milk, talked football and scripture. The Bishop actually came by later that week to tell me he would make sure I was never visited by their missionaries again.

kmh1031

SemperFi,
Very nice comments, and actually refreshing. As you would imagine, we meet all types of people in our ministry, which is not always done door to door...
But when we do, it is nice.

Regardless of our beliefs, and how different, once on her may be to our teachings, religion, etc, once thing is for sure; We all face many of the same problems; sickness, death, shall i say.."non-polite" people, and those mentioned at 2 Tim 3:1-5.

Yet our goal is to carry on the command that Jesus taught us: (Matt 24:14, Matt 28:19-20) and by his example and hopefully by our example.

Some like it, some don', so we dust off our feet and move on to those that are interested in the Bibles message.

But to your point, kindness never makes us uncomfortable, at the door, or in life. It is certainly rare to see in our ministry, but it does not make us uncomfortable.

Thanks for your comments, and reaction to us at your door.

1gr8bldr

I actually think my beliefs most resemble the JW's over the typical Christian beliefs, however, as with all the denominations, they to have points that I disagree with and traditional things. I credit them for not reading into scripture that which is not there, with the major exception of their beliefs about blood. They could acknowledge this if they could break free from traditional thinking but then hierarchy would not allow. Other than that, they are closely related to my beliefs.

kmh1031

Once people sit down and talk to us, and see that we don't bite the heads off of Spider Monkeys on Tuesdays and Sundays!

They come to see that we are normal imperfect people, trying to live by Gods standards as indicated in the bible.

Many then see that much of what they have been told about JWs is untrue, or extremely exaggerated.

You might be surprised to know, that over 60%+ of JWs today have come from other religions that they grew up in, and were not satisfied with their church, beliefs, or lack of answers as to condition of dead, why we grow old and die, why god permits suffering, is their a burning ****, and much more.

True we do not follow the mainstream, but neither did the early Christians.
They did not get involved in politics, did not celebrate holidays or birthdays, and much more.

Likewise today we are ridiculed many times for these very things we abstain from, that are clearly biblical, and many have their origination with pagan worship.....

Much, much more, but appreciate the conversation!

Related to your question, concerning Blood Transfusions, here is a link to a nice article that if interested explains it much better than I can type.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witn...-42ae7c80c39f&insight[search_result_index]=11

We abstain for biblical reasons, but many, many hospitals and their patients are going "bloodless" as it is safer, and faster recovery..

Once one understands Gods viewpoint and reasoning's on blood from the days of Noah, up until the Christian congregation was formed his views on Blood did not change.
Scriptures abound for Christians to "abstain from blood"

thanks

1gr8bldr

Once people sit down and talk to us, and see that we don't bite the heads off of Spider Monkeys on Tuesdays and Sundays!

They come to see that we are normal imperfect people, trying to live by Gods standards as indicated in the bible.

Many then see that much of what they have been told about JWs is untrue, or extremely exaggerated.

You might be surprised to know, that over 60%+ of JWs today have come from other religions that they grew up in, and were not satisfied with their church, beliefs, or lack of answers as to condition of dead, why we grow old and die, why god permits suffering, is their a burning ****, and much more.

True we do not follow the mainstream, but neither did the early Christians.
They did not get involved in politics, did not celebrate holidays or birthdays, and much more.

Likewise today we are ridiculed many times for these very things we abstain from, that are clearly biblical, and many have their origination with pagan worship.....

Much, much more, but appreciate the conversation!

Related to your question, concerning Blood Transfusions, here is a link to a nice article that if interested explains it much better than I can type.

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witn...-42ae7c80c39f&insight[search_result_index]=11

We abstain for biblical reasons, but many, many hospitals and their patients are going "bloodless" as it is safer, and faster recovery..

Once one understands Gods viewpoint and reasoning's on blood from the days of Noah, up until the Christian congregation was formed his views on Blood did not change.
Scriptures abound for Christians to "abstain from blood"

thanks
I hope this remains a good conversation for I do not wish to sound argumentative, but do wonder if any JW silently would admit that all the verses citing blood used by the Jw's, is in regard to drinking blood, injesting blood. In Acts, NT, view is still regarding the mouth intake of blood. One would have to make the leap, that the OT was giving us a directive that one one day later in the future, be realized as blood injection, into the blood stream. While I do agree that the OT gives many typologies that are later, in the NT, evolve into intended purposes. Nothing comes to mind, but I expect that several exist. However, the writer of the verses that JW's use in regard to blood... that writer would have never imagined in his wildest dreams that anothers blood might be transfused into another person. Going further, blood type, etc. So, I think it's a big leap to build a doctrine on so little. Yet, it is a major foundation of the JW doctrine. I would not argue that blood transfusions are not necessary. Not always, or any of the other plus or minus aspects, only that the few scriptures this is based on, at that time written, were not thinking of blood infusion but rather blood injesting. Are they the same? I honestly think that JW tradition, and the fact that they do not want to back down from a long standing doctrine, and... hierarchy governing individuals from adopting a version of the JW faith, is all that shores up this blood doctrine. I'm rambling now, however, my initial point... I wonder if any JW would silently agree that these few verses are not referring to injection of blood. And, I should remind us that these verses were never regarding another humans blood. It was always referring to a sacrifice or animal. Drinking of a humans blood was never referred to here

kmh1031

I have to go out for a bit.
And yes drinking of blood was common then, as well as eating blood in animals... so that is applied also.

But I will leave you with this scripture Acts 15:29
“Abstain from Blood”
Other scripture is similar to these strong words on the OT and NT this consistency

Question
If a Dr said to abstain from something as it meant ur life not to... say... alcohol...would that mean you could infuse it in u and it be ok although you did not drink it?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I guess I don’t mind them doing what they think is right but it’s still awkward. I’m not real familiar with their beliefs but It might be interesting to talk to them about why they believe what they do.

I do mind. I’m a firm believer in mind your own business and leave everyone else alone. If you wanna be a JW, go ahead but don’t try to push it on me. Wanna be homosexual? Good for you, don’t try to shove it down my throat. You wanna be a Democrat? Cool. Stay the heck off my sidewalk.

1gr8bldr

I have to go out for a bit.
And yes drinking of blood was common then, as well as eating blood in animals... so that is applied also.

But I will leave you with this scripture Acts 15:29
“Abstain from Blood”
Other scripture is similar to these strong words on the OT and NT this consistency

Question
If a Dr said to abstain from something as it meant ur life not to... say... alcohol...would that mean you could infuse it in u and it be ok although you did not drink it?
Would you agree that "abstain from blood" is in the current context of eating.... AND... as in regards to perception. Because we all know that these animals that were used in a sacrificial manner, is not applying to us. much on this from Paul, however, the weak, the babe in Christ, might see you partake and it possibly hurt his faith because he does not yet have the spiritual freedom that a more mature might have. So, several points, the context is animals blood, the context is eating, and the wild card is that in the NT, it is mentioned because of the perception of it, rather than the actual. ? I should point out that my interest in this conversation is not to win. I like to know the go to responses of the debate, both sides.

kmh1031

I appreciate you thoughts and have heard that before in discussion of blood.
Blood

Gods law on blood clearly extended to more than animal blood but also any and all blood.

God gave to Noah and which applies to all his descendants makes it wrong for anyone to eat blood, that is, to use the blood of another creature to nourish or sustain one’s life.

Doing some research, on blood later in the 1st century, Tertullian in his Apology showed how the early Christians reasoned on the matter to abstain from all blood.

So today it is recognized that if this prohibition applies to animal blood, it applies with even more force to human blood based on the sanctity of Human Blood.
It includes “any blood at all.” Leviticus 3:17

Arguments to the effect that the prohibition on the use of blood issued by the early Christian governing body only dealt with animal blood and certainly surely does include Human blood fall short of the ancient evidence.

It could be because they are not be familiar with the blatant misuse of Human blood at the time of The Apostles writings

But one cannot ignore the repeated scriptures to abstain from blood... clearly means animal and human by the anointed Apostles.

How do we know this.... what was going on the ..
Note this, In ancient Rome, which dominated the Mediterranean world in the first century, spectators at the gladiatorial contests would rush into the arena after the fight and suck the blood streaming from the neck of the vanquished gladiator.

Some from among the Scythians reportedly ate their dead relatives.

Treaties were made among some peoples by mutually drinking a portion of each other’s blood; and human blood caught in the hand and eaten was used to seal initiation into the rites of the pagan goddess Bellona.

So when the apostles, under direction of the holy spirit, said that Christians were to keep themselves from blood, (Acts 15:29 for one) they clearly had in mind both animal and human blood too.

kmh1031

Eating, or infusing is the same as it accomplishes the sam purpose ....

Smoking or injecting nicotine via a patch is putting it on the body..

Eating or getting nourishment via IV accomplishes the same thing.
Eating blood or having a blood transfusion is the same as well.

Medically speaking and not scripturally, there are many alternatives to blood transfusions if one is in the hospital that in many cases saves the life, builds blood and is Munich more safe.

Research bloodless surgery if interested and you will see that many hospitals and cutting edge Drs are going this route for many health benefits to the patient

1gr8bldr

I appreciate you thoughts and have heard that before in discussion of blood.
Blood

Gods law on blood clearly extended to more than animal blood but also any and all blood.

God gave to Noah and which applies to all his descendants makes it wrong for anyone to eat blood, that is, to use the blood of another creature to nourish or sustain one’s life.

Doing some research, on blood later in the 1st century, Tertullian in his Apology showed how the early Christians reasoned on the matter to abstain from all blood.

So today it is recognized that if this prohibition applies to animal blood, it applies with even more force to human blood based on the sanctity of Human Blood.
It includes “any blood at all.” Leviticus 3:17

Arguments to the effect that the prohibition on the use of blood issued by the early Christian governing body only dealt with animal blood and certainly surely does include Human blood fall short of the ancient evidence.

It could be because they are not be familiar with the blatant misuse of Human blood at the time of The Apostles writings

But one cannot ignore the repeated scriptures to abstain from blood... clearly means animal and human by the anointed Apostles.

How do we know this.... what was going on the ..
Note this, In ancient Rome, which dominated the Mediterranean world in the first century, spectators at the gladiatorial contests would rush into the arena after the fight and suck the blood streaming from the neck of the vanquished gladiator.

Some from among the Scythians reportedly ate their dead relatives.

Treaties were made among some peoples by mutually drinking a portion of each other’s blood; and human blood caught in the hand and eaten was used to seal initiation into the rites of the pagan goddess Bellona.

So when the apostles, under direction of the holy spirit, said that Christians were to keep themselves from blood, (Acts 15:29 for one) they clearly had in mind both animal and human blood too.
Did you hear yourself? Respectfully. The "Holy Spirit said that Christians were to keep themselves from blood, animal and human". Does that not sound strange to you? That Christians need to be told not to drink human blood?

1gr8bldr

Respectfully, I don't wish to debunk your view. I think I should admit that my inquisitiveness is not just wanting to see both sides of the argument, but rather that this is the issue that keeps me from considering fellowship