Taurus Security 9

Poor Poor Fisherman

I’m considering buying my adult daughter a home defense / recreational range pistol. She is just a casual shooter but wants and needs something in her home or when she travels. She also plans to get a weapons permit.
We are looking at the Taurus Security 9. The reviews are good, it fits her hand, she likes the way it shoots, it’s the right size and the price is very good since they can be bought for just under $300.

I’m looking for any insights, experiences and opinions that GOM members might have.

Thanks!

jbarron

BANNED
Did you mean Ruger Security 9???

krizia829

You maybe confused with Ruger.. BUT.. If you love your daughter, don't go with a Taurus for home defense!! Back when I sold firearms, I sent so many back to the factory for repairs and jamming issues, that I knew their address by heart..

If price is important and you're on a budget, go with the Smith & Wesson SD9VE. The only thing that I can honestly say that sucks on it is the trigger but the rest of it has absolutely nothing wrong with it. Internally, it's actually very similar to a Glock.

Just going off price though.. I'd obviously choose another firearm instead but this one is under $300 and reliable. Just a hard trigger. Good reason to go shoot it though. She should be consistent with it and shoot it often.

Best thing for her to do is go to a local range that offers rental guns and have her narrow down 2-3 models and have her shoot a box of rounds with each. It'll give you more peace of mind

Dub

S&W Shield 9mm EZ

Bingo. (y)

Easy to rack the slide and manipulate all controls and reliable. My little sister started carrying a couple years back. Dad bought her one of these in .380 and he's got her up and running nicely.

She's very competent with it and can shoot it very well.

Now that the 9mm version is out....its a no-brainer to go with the 9mm.

.380 version...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...1525/smith+&+wesson+m&p+shield+380+ez+36"+8+1

9mm (recommended ) version...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...+&+wesson+m&p9+m20+shield+ez+9mm+thumb+safety

Robert28

I didn’t even know they’d come out with an EZ in 9mm. Figured it was only a matter of time. I wish they’d bump it up to 10 rounds but 8 will do.

Reactions: Dub

SC Hunter

What is funny is I actually used the search option and found this. My wife's birthday is the 17th and she told me just a few minutes ago that she wants the pistol she liked at Barrows that she held a while back. It just so happens to be an EZ in 9mm. She keeps a gun with her all the time whether its an LCP or a walther p22 or a keltec pmr 30 she has a gun with her. I guess we will be going to look at them again Friday when we're both off work.

Dub

What is funny is I actually used the search option and found this. My wife's birthday is the 17th and she told me just a few minutes ago that she wants the pistol she liked at Barrows that she held a while back. It just so happens to be an EZ in 9mm. She keeps a gun with her all the time whether its an LCP or a walther p22 or a keltec pmr 30 she has a gun with her. I guess we will be going to look at them again Friday when we're both off work.

It's good to hear that she takes that level of precaution.

Crazy world we live in.

SC Hunter

It's good to hear that she takes that level of precaution.

Crazy world we live in.
She cuts hair for a living and sometimes leaves work late. The area of town the shop is in isn't bad but it's not far from some rough areas. I harp on being situationally aware of things simply because I've dealt with the public for so long. She has told me a few times she felt comfortable having a pistol in her purse at times when people have approached her or she was leaving work late.

Geno67

I've never owned a Taurus so my personal experience is worthless. My gunsmith who I trust with my life and wife tells me that if you own a Taurus long enough, you will need to use the warranty.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am a little farther than 40 minutes. I have not had the pleasure of buying a gun there personally. I have left there with many other things in the past. I watched a friend buy a shotgun there once...he didn't like the wood so they kept bringing one out...he liked the wood on the third one...Best NAPA store on the planet!

I did see 1 ea of the EZs at our LGS today when I ran in for a second.

Last edited:

Poor Poor Fisherman

OMG!! My bad! My very bad! I meant the Ruger Security 9! I 100% agree with what has been said about Taurus pistols. I don’t own one but I’ve never heard positive things about Taurus products. But, the Ruger Security 9 looks Very promising from what I have read. And I have a lot of confidence in the collective experience, knowledge and wisdom of the guys on GON. That’s why I was reaching out for confirmation, reassurance or perhaps a warnings that I would be making a bad purchase.

snuffy

I also don't own a Security 9, But do own a LCP,LC9 and also an LC9S.
Along with a Single Six and a couple of 10/22,s all Very fine guns.

I m sure the Security 9 would be also.

Buford_Dawg

I have 2 Security 9s, the full size and the compact. I also have several Shields, I prefer the Security 9s, but both are outstanding pistols for the cost.

GunnSmokeer

I was very close to buying a Ruger security nine about a year ago. Everything I read about them is positive. The only reason I don't buy one right now is that I don't have that much of a need in my collection for one; I have other medium sized lightweight 9 mm carry pistols.

I would go for it!

Save the box, the owners manual, and other accessories that come with the gun. If your daughter doesn't love it after several range sessions, give it a good cleaning, box it up,and sell it as "slightly used mint condition."
You'll get almost all your money back out of it.
Money y'all can use to apply towards the purchase of some thing she think she'll like better, and she would probably be a more well-informed opinion having had the experience of owning and using this Security-9.