Anybody made their own Steel Gongs..?

sleepr71

Looking at buying a sheet of 1/4”-1/2” steel & having somebody carving out a few gongs + some silhouettes for the 400-600 yd practice sessions. Anybody done this yourself out of Scrap,or had it done? If so,what did you use,how much did it cost,and how is it holding up? Thanks??

Skeeter XRi

Sorry I haven’t made any but if you’re looking for some you might want to check fleabay. There’re a couple of people selling them for much cheaper than I’ve seen them in stores, including shipping.

Jim

transfixer

Looking at buying a sheet of 1/4”-1/2” steel & having somebody carving out a few gongs + some silhouettes for the 400-600 yd practice sessions. Anybody done this yourself out of Scrap,or had it done? If so,what did you use,how much did it cost,and how is it holding up? Thanks??

A long time ago, when I was in my 20's my dad got a hold of some steel plate from a welding shop, I want to say it was 3/8 inch, pretty good size, maybe 12 x 18 inches, we shot at it with 357's, 44's, etc, quite a few times we'd get ricochets back our direction, but we didn't have them angled down, when we shot it with deer rifles, 30.06, .243's, etc, it would punch right through the steel, So unless you're getting hardened steel, like AR500 I don't think it will hold up.

sleepr71

Luke, I’m right in the middle of GA. Macon,Milledgeville,Warner Robins,etc. I get that they would need to be angled forward,to deflect rounds down. (?) Is AR500 steel Hardened...thus causing the bullets to fragment upon impact? Either way...I’m not so concerned with ricochet,or penetration as we shoot downhill,into the bottom of a valley,and up the opposing hillside. Basically shooting down hill,into the opposing side of a valley,until the 400 Yd Mark. For 500-600 it’d be shooting into another hillside. This won’t be used for “high volume” shooting. Just an occasional 2-3x/year to keep skills somewhat up. Can’t afford to shoot a lot these days ☹️

sleepr71

AR500 silhouette size targets are $169.00..on Amazon. For the time & aggravation to buy steel,then cut it out(so it looks decent) ...it might be better off to just spend the money & buy some. Sometimes these “brighter ideas” & DIY projects end up costing more in time & aggravation,than they save ? I’ll do a little more research before deciding.!

transfixer

There are multiple places online selling AR500 steel targets, of various sizes, shipping is what gets you on cost, or if free shipping they've got it figured into the cost. If you can find somewhere within driving distance and pick them up you can probably save $$, might also check to see whether they are cut with a torch/plasma cutter ? or water jet cut, I've been told if cut with a welder/plasma cutter then the first couple inches around the edges won't be as hard as the rest of the plate, and could be damaged if hit.

Stevie Ray

I also recommend using AR500 steel, it last forever, makes a beautiful 'ding' when hit and is much safer than using non-hardened steel. As Transfixer states above there are multiple online places selling it and just to throw it out there I'll link you to the folks I get mine from, they've always treated me well and their pricing seems to be as good or about as good as anybody else, along with free shipping.

https://magnumtarget.com

bullgator

Any welding shop can do it. AR500 if high velocity rounds are on the menu.

treemanjohn

Banned
Mild steel will get shot through but works well is that all you've got. I hand them from strips of conveyor belt to reduce ricochet and bullet damage

Stevie Ray

We have these in 3/8 for pistol.
https://magnumtarget.com/
I think the rifle target is 1/2 though:

My son likes running around in the dark.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nw00738

I use the Magnum targets also and have only 3/8ths, I regularly shoot .308, .270 Win and 6.5 CM from 100 out to 1k and haven't put a dimple in the steel, I've shot them with 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua from 500 yards out and they havent made any marks other than paint but I haven't tried them inside of 500 so I don't know what they'd do to the 3/8ths inch steel at that range .... I'm suspecting the 3/8ths will hold up just fine.

Bobby Bigtime

Quite a few of the farmers and ranchers around here use old plow discs. They are tempered very well but not brittle come in various sizes as well. the hole in the center is great for bolting it to a chain. Most of them are cupped somewhat so they mount them cupped side toward shooter.

sleepr71

That’s an interesting thought...old Harrow Discs. They are definitely “Tempered”...but may be Brittle. I bet if you welded 2-3 of them together(to Double,or Triple..the Thickness)..they’d probably hold up :huh:

Bobby Bigtime

There is no shortage of them here. If they get some holes in em they bolt on another. Most of these old boys use them most likely to check to see if their rifle is still on. We do that on our friends discs. He has one at a hundred and another at two fifty. If we ding them we are ready for antelope.

rosewood

Can someone please explain to me why non-hardened steel is less safe? Unless you are on the other side of it. I would think hardened would be more likely for the projectile to bounce back.

Rosewood