Anybody made their own Steel Gongs..?

rosewood

Not sure I buy that argument. He is trying to sell his product. Sounds anecdotal to me. The softer metal is going to absorb some of the energy slowing down any bounce back. Harder is going to reflect that energy somewhere, whether it is bounce back or disintegration of the bullet. Throw a golf ball at a piece of wood and then throw it at a blanket and see which one bounces back the most.

I would like to see some high speed footage showing the bounce back he is talking about compared to on harder plates. Then does it apply to all velocities? What if you are shooting a slower projectile? What if faster? What if the bullet does not disintegrate when it hits that AR500 plate? Does it bounce back then?

Rosewood

7Mag Hunter

Made several 30 yrs ago out of a 1 ton truck flywheels...cut and welded a center piece to plug up crankshaft and bolt holes.....welded 2 rebar rods on each side to hammer it into the ground...mainly used for 45 acp long range shooting (50+ yards) several were placed 200-300 yds out for centerfire rifles...never had any ricochets...

Stevie Ray

The only time I've ever had shrapnel from steel targets was shooting soft steel up close (10 yards) with a pistol, all of the hardened steel targets I've shot redirected the shrapnel down towards the ground but I've always had my targets swinging and not standing sturdy.

Here's yet another video from Hicock45 explaining the steel targets on his range.

rosewood

Find it interesting, he said hard steel is better, and that the mild steel with craters could direct shrapnel back "maybe". Sounded like he wasn't ever sure of that hypothesis himself.

He is right about swinging vs fixed and to angle it down when possible. That solves most of the issues.

I can see a deep crater from a high powered rifle and then hitting that same crater at close range with a pistol bullet, it might come back. If you notice, he had 2 pieces of mild steel he had been shooting at with pistols for decades and neither had significant cratering. Don't shoot mild steel with high powered rifles and you don't get significant cratering. And you shouldn't be shooting any steel at close range anyway.

Rosewood

rosewood

Maybe its about durability of the gong. My son gets really po'd when someone shoots 223 close up at his pistol plates.
I agree with this for sure. Harder steel is more durable and it is best to shoot at distance to prevent any dangers of ricochet and damage to the plate.

Rosewood

sleepr71

I “think” the hardened steel may do a better job of causing bullet fragmentation..as long as the gong can handle the impact. I kinda like that idea of old Flywheels. Probably need to be out of a heavy duty truck/tractor/etc. Heck,old brake drums & rotors may hold up:huh: Used ones have already been heated & tempered?

Bobby Bigtime

Can someone please explain to me why non-hardened steel is less safe? Unless you are on the other side of it. I would think hardened would be more likely for the projectile to bounce back.

Rosewood
With hunting bullets I don't think it matters much. For plates that see a lot of action it's more of a durability issue than safety.

trial&error

i have have shot pistol targets at 20 yards . I heard fragments of bullet or plate strike my backdrop. Everything i shoot at now is angled down to direct ricochets.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

treemanjohn

Banned

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Most of these are saying not for magnum rifles. Which plate is best for a 7mm mag.?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
https://shootsteel.com/faq/

Q: Do I have to worry about ricochets?

A: Most of the lead and copper deflects at 20 degrees. You must always wear safety glasses and set up the targets in a safe location. In general the bullets do not “bounce” back or ricochet. This doesn’t mean they never will, just that most of the bullets will fragment and deflect at 20 degrees.

BriarPatch99

Quite a few of the farmers and ranchers around here use old plow discs. They are tempered very well but not brittle come in various sizes as well. the hole in the center is great for bolting it to a chain. Most of them are cupped somewhat so they mount them cupped side toward shooter.

Guilty of shooting harrow disc .....

It was amazing that all the center fire rifles we owned at the time ....30/06, .270 Winchester, .25/06, 6mm Remington & .243 Winchester would all splatter on a well worn harrow disc at 100 yards .....but a a 290 grain .45 Muzzle loader bullet would crack out a hole in the blades .....

That was all the "steel" targets we had in those way back days .... until I cut out a "chicken" out 1/4" steel . ..metal silhouette shooting was big in those days ..... I could flip that chicken at 100 yards with my .41 mag S&W.....

Last edited: