Taking Dogs Deer Hunting

dick7.62

I have a dog that I carried with me several years ago. He is a tracking dog who tracked down his first deer when he was a puppy. I always hunted from a tree and tied him up at the base of the tree. When I would shoot a deer he would have a fit wanting to go find it. Most fell within sight but I would turn him loose and let him find it. He really enjoyed that. He did have to track down several and is very good at it. He is brown just like a deer and large(100+ pounds) so he always wore an orange vest. I think I got the vest on e-bay. He is also good at finding rattlesnakes and thieves(2).

baddave

Do you have to have a deer dog hunting license to do that or be located in a county that allows it? I believe they have to have that license to hunt with dogs in counties that allow the running of deer with dogs, don't they?
I don't , not being smart but no , I don't and really don't care . i've said before , I don't go by their rules i go by mine and mine are stricter than theirs.. it could be the law just don't know for sure

Joe Brandon

Heck no I don't, my darn dogs would chase off anything from a squirrel to a darn bear . It would be a sight to see that's for sure! Can hardly hold the leash at Kennesaw Mountain with them lol.

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
Our camp has two members that bring their dog with them. They
stay in their trailers while members are hunting. One gets used as a tracking dog every once in a while. (he has found a deer for me once) You'll find that most members in clubs aren't really favorable towards dogs in camp. As for me i love them. I used to have a Beagle that i brought down all the time till she passed.

Thanks for the info. Yep I love to have my dogs with me whatever I hunt. When I hunt deer over here, I'm almost always on my own on the land. The group of guys I rent the land with have a WhatsApp group and we make sure that we go when no one else is going. I love being in the forest on my own with the two dogs after deer, sounds like that difficult to achieve over there.

Roebuck

Without knowing the rules for the various WMA's (since I'm not a public land hunter) I would still avoid taking the dogs. There is too much risk they will get shot and then there's always the chance they interrupt somebody else's hunt.

You would be better served to find a club to be in.

Thanks for the info. It sure sounds like finding a club might be the best option.

Roebuck

Welcome to the fire and congrats on the new grandchild!!!! I can think of no better reason to pull up stakes and move here. We have 8 with another coming in April. I can fully appreciate that they are God’s greatest gifts.

What section of Ga to you plan to live in? There is a lot of difference in terrain here.

Thanks for your welcoming words. We want to be within 30 minutes drive of where my son lives so we are looking at the Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Duluth, Dacula areas.

It's some way from the N GA WMAs but I'm used to driving and hour or two to get to my current grounds.

Sounds like you have a great family, congratulations on your latest grandchild due in April.

Roebuck

Roe, we welcome you to the Great State of Georgia. I am always glad to have a new hunter and especially one that likes dogs. There are a lot of places to hunt in Georgia and you will find most hunters here like dogs, or at least in South Georgia. My first deer hunting was with dogs back in 1964. We have two good WMA's close by: Bullard Creek and Big Hammock and we have the Altamaha River. Good hunting at both WMA's and great fishing on the Altamaha.

As for dogs on WMA's during deer hunts I would leave them in their box in the truck. If you really want to take the dog to your stand I would find the Game Warden over the WMA and talk with him. I would advise and orange vest for you and the dog. Have a harness and rope on the dog, when you get to your stand tie the dog to a tree. I know the dog is trained to set and stay but I would tie the dog in case the Game Warden came in to check on you to make sure you are not using the dog to hunt deer. The warden may go along with this idea or he may not.

Make a point of finding the Wardens for any area you plan to hunt and get to know them as best you can. You will find most are friendly and will help you.

Glad to have you with us, if you ever want to fish the Altamaha drop me a line.

Hey Nimrod,

That's really great advice thanks, very much appreciated.

Roebuck

I have a dog that I carried with me several years ago. He is a tracking dog who tracked down his first deer when he was a puppy. I always hunted from a tree and tied him up at the base of the tree. When I would shoot a deer he would have a fit wanting to go find it. Most fell within sight but I would turn him loose and let him find it. He really enjoyed that. He did have to track down several and is very good at it. He is brown just like a deer and large(100+ pounds) so he always wore an orange vest. I think I got the vest on e-bay. He is also good at finding rattlesnakes and thieves(2).

Thanks for the info. Not trained mine on rattlesnakes yet, or thieves! LOL

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info. It sure sounds like finding a club might be the best option.

When it comes to deer hunting Georgia has something for everyone. It’s just a matter of finding a group of guys you fit in with.

Welcome “home” to Georgia!

Roebuck

Roe, we welcome you to the Great State of Georgia. I am always glad to have a new hunter and especially one that likes dogs. There are a lot of places to hunt in Georgia and you will find most hunters here like dogs, or at least in South Georgia. My first deer hunting was with dogs back in 1964. We have two good WMA's close by: Bullard Creek and Big Hammock and we have the Altamaha River. Good hunting at both WMA's and great fishing on the Altamaha.

As for dogs on WMA's during deer hunts I would leave them in their box in the truck. If you really want to take the dog to your stand I would find the Game Warden over the WMA and talk with him. I would advise and orange vest for you and the dog. Have a harness and rope on the dog, when you get to your stand tie the dog to a tree. I know the dog is trained to set and stay but I would tie the dog in case the Game Warden came in to check on you to make sure you are not using the dog to hunt deer. The warden may go along with this idea or he may not.

Make a point of finding the Wardens for any area you plan to hunt and get to know them as best you can. You will find most are friendly and will help you.

Glad to have you with us, if you ever want to fish the Altamaha drop me a line.

Nimrod,

Thanks for the offer of fishing, I may yet take you up on that.

Roebuck

When it comes to deer hunting Georgia has something for everyone. It’s just a matter of finding a group of guys you fit in with.

Welcome “home” to Georgia!

Thanks, that's the same with hunting over here, finding a group of people that gel together is the key. I'm sure I'll find something that works for me.

across the river

Is it really that dangerous?

In general no, hunting a WMA isn't dangerous. You just have no control over who is there, so walking around with a dog that looks like a deer, orange vest or not, would not be something I would do.

Last edited:

Roebuck

In general no, hunting a WMA isn't dangerous. You just have no control over who is there, so walking around with a dog that looks like a deer, orange vest or not, would not be something I would do.

Yep I guess that's the real issue on public land you just don't know how many people are there or where they are. Thanks for the advice.

Roebuck

Man if that's what dog hunting in England looks like your in for a real shocker:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep it's going to be very different. Different climate, different terrain, different styles of hunting. I just hope they (and me) can make the change. They are versatile dogs so they'll be OK I think. I think it's me that going have the biggest adjustments to make.

Joe Brandon

Yep it's going to be very different. Different climate, different terrain, different styles of hunting. I just hope they (and me) can make the change. They are versatile dogs so they'll be OK I think. I think it's me that going have the biggest adjustments to make.
Man but those pictures you posted are beautiful! I've always wanted to visit your countryside! It seriously looks right out of a catalog. When you move here what part of ga will you be in?