Taking Dogs Deer Hunting

Roebuck

“Fishal Spokesman” Useles Billy Club !
So does your dog point the deer ?

It's something I'm still working on with them. They were trained first to point gamebirds which they do pretty well. So I'm converting them for deer. If cover is thick and we get close to deer they will air scent it and point, at a distance, 100 yards plus, still needs some work.

Roebuck

Man but those pictures you posted are beautiful! I've always wanted to visit your countryside! It seriously looks right out of a catalog. When you move here what part of ga will you be in?

Thanks, yes where I live in Herefordshire it's very rural, it's an area of the country that was completely bypassed by the industrial revolution so it's still as it has always been farm land and woodland. So some great spots to hunt.

I'm planning on moving to either the Lawrenceville, Duluth, Suwanee, Dacula areas to be within about 30 minutes drive of where my son lives. I love the mountains of N GA so I hope to be able to hunt up that way, it'll be a big change from the way I have been hunting.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It's something I'm still working on with them. They were trained first to point gamebirds which they do pretty well. So I'm converting them for deer. If cover is thick and we get close to deer they will air scent it and point, at a distance, 100 yards plus, still needs some work.

See that’s hunting deer with dogs and may fall under regulations !
Let’s ask @C.Killmaster about this.
We will give him time to respond.

Dbender

Once you get here and check things out and get the feel for it, you can probably make a better decision how it's going to work out. It's perfectly safe, fine, and accepted practice to sq hunt with dogs on public.or private land. I have several dogs I sq hunt. You may have to adjust what game you hunt but there are plenty of opportunities to still be able to ramble the woods with your dogs while still getting a chance to legally shoot something while.doing it.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

Roebuck

Once you get here and check things out and get the feel for it, you can probably make a better decision how it's going to work out. It's perfectly safe, fine, and accepted practice to sq hunt with dogs on public.or private land. I have several dogs I sq hunt. You may have to adjust what game you hunt but there are plenty of opportunities to still be able to ramble the woods with your dogs while still getting a chance to legally shoot something while.doing it.

Thanks, yes I think the key is for me to be flexible and make sure I adjust and fit in with the laws, regs and style of hunting there. I am really looking forward to the challenge

Roebuck

See that’s hunting deer with dogs and may fall under regulations !
Let’s ask @C.Killmaster about this.
We will give him time to respond.

Thanks, I guess that's what I'm really trying understand what constitutes hunting with dogs and what isn't. So it sounds like dogs free that could point deer is hunting with dogs, while dogs tethered at the bottom of a tree stand and to be used for tracking a shot deer is not. Guess I'll have to dive into the GA hunting laws and regs to try to clarify.

Bubba Watson

Gone but not forgotten.
Sage goes with me a lot. We have harvested Deer, hogs , Turkey, and everything in between together. On WMAs also, I call ahead and check, the one I get a resounding No is Bond Swamp Federal land . I’ve always enjoyed her company she even been with me when I’ve Bow hunted and harvested Deer.

Attachments

• 224DBCA9-1CA3-4E1A-9D74-4E024EB6ABFD.jpeg
    224DBCA9-1CA3-4E1A-9D74-4E024EB6ABFD.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 15
  • F5B22152-42AB-4E27-8553-5E19D9F7AD53.jpeg
    F5B22152-42AB-4E27-8553-5E19D9F7AD53.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 15

Roebuck

Sage goes with me a lot. We have harvested Deer, hogs , Turkey, and everything in between together. On WMAs also, I call ahead and check, the one I get a resounding No is Bond Swamp Federal land . I’ve always enjoyed her company she even been with me when I’ve Bow hunted and harvested Deer.

What a great looking dog and a faithful hunting companion. Thanks for sharing.

NastyBruises11B

I have a Weimaraner that I take with me on my land, but I've never taken him on game management land. As was pointed out to you earlier (our dogs are very similar in appearance and build), these particular dogs look too much like deer, and there are many hunters that shoot when they see something that resembles a deer.

Welcome to the States, and good luck with that grand-child!

Roebuck

Thanks for the advice. I guess I won't be taking my dogs deer hunting anymore. Pity but I guess I'll stick to bird and water fowl hunting.