Regarding fall protection, could someone please explain...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
...how winding up hanging from a tree in a full body harness, tethered to the tree between your shoulders ever became a good idea and accepted practice??

I just can't wrap my head around it, and if it's so great, and so safe, how come nobody in the military, swat, sar, fire, or climbing world is doing it?

I guess I get it in an industrial setting, where you probably have help close by, but in the woods by myself, hard pass on that.

There are better, and much simpler options that even a caveman can master...

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ll try....it’s better than falling to the ground and breaking your spine.
You should have an additional strap with Loops on both ends that came with your harness. You keep that one on your body in case you fall. If or when needed, wrap that one around the tree and put one end thru the other put your foot into the loop end so you can step up and relieve pressure. I haven’t tried it, but you may be able to slowly get down using this strap like the bottom of a climber and your harness tether like the upper half......slowly and one at a time.
The other entities you mention use different safety tools as the applications are different.

I’d love to hear the simpler, safer options you mentioned. I never wore a harness when in a ladder stand until I took the bow instead of the Xbow. The fact that I’d be standing up in the same stand I’m usually sitting in, created the need for additional safety measures..........I actually really liked standing up and the tether grabbing me right at the top reminded me there is NO WAY IM falling out.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I like that 4hand

dusty200001

...how winding up hanging from a tree in a full body harness, tethered to the tree between your shoulders ever became a good idea and accepted practice??

I just can't wrap my head around it, and if it's so great, and so safe, how come nobody in the military, swat, sar, fire, or climbing world is doing it?

I guess I get it in an industrial setting, where you probably have help close by, but in the woods by myself, hard pass on that.

It’s not you start cutting off arteries in couple minutes and most people are to out of shape to get in a better spot. Fall arrest system is what most people use and has to have a good retrieval plan, that most do not. The safety strap for foot hold as the other guy mentioned is a good idea , but more than most likely about 90 percent would not be able to do this with the jelly belly’s. Fall restraint system will keep you from falling so basically as a lineman would use a buck squeeze system that keeps him tight at all times. However this even causes issues also binding and hanging, or possibly it’s fine. If I was going do one I would use the fall restraint system. However I’m not, I climb with green light and make sure I see the climber set in tree and add weight to dig in. I climb slower paying attention and that’s my system. No one should cast a other idea down, it’s really all about your own personal safety and what makes you feel good.
In addition a actual construction harness will have two zippers on each side that has nylon straps. You hook them together and make a basket to stand in. That’s assuming your not knocked out when you hit the tree. Because if so you got about 4 minutes before you start shutting down

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Drag a few people out of the woods that fell 8-10 feet and are now paralyzed for life and ask them why.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The guys that I know that climb trees and poles for a living use a climbing/fall harness or they get fired

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Bfriendly,

Without suggesting that anyone should do anything, lest I evoke the ire of the safety police around here, here's what I have developed for ME, and me only.

A static rope choker looped to the tree that goes up and down with me. Easy.

A rescue/riggers belt. I wear a belt anyway.

A single real, honest to goodness climbing carabiner.

You'll have to research this for yourself, but "rig carabiner for descent" and tie a "temporary stopper knot".

I am short tethered to the tree, can't fall more than a foot. Hard to get hurt falling a foot.

But if I did end up outta the stand, a simple yank on the tag end releases the stopper, and I rappell to the ground. A rope, belt, and carabiner is all that's necessary.

Before anyone tries to scream that won't work...

It absolutely WILL work because I spent a few hours playing around with it in the yard to learn the procedure which is published and accepted by all kinds of folks who use ropes for a living..

I can't fall, and I can't be trapped in a tree. Good enough.

buckpasser

If I ever “need” my harness, I would like to think they’ll be at least some part of the climber left on the tree if not all of it. I always carry a sharp knife just in case I need to try and bear hug the tree and cut myself loose. I’m sure it would be difficult, but at least in my control vs a sky, ground, sky view of a descent to Mother Earth.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ll try....it’s better than falling to the ground and breaking your spine.
You should have an additional strap with Loops on both ends that came with your harness. You keep that one on your body in case you fall. If or when needed, wrap that one around the tree and put one end thru the other put your foot into the loop end so you can step up and relieve pressure. I haven’t tried it, but you may be able to slowly get down using this strap like the bottom of a climber and your harness tether like the upper half......slowly and one at a time.
The other entities you mention use different safety tools as the applications are different.

I’d love to hear the simpler, safer options you mentioned. I never wore a harness when in a ladder stand until I took the bow instead of the Xbow. The fact that I’d be standing up in the same stand I’m usually sitting in, created the need for additional safety measures..........I actually really liked standing up and the tether grabbing me right at the top reminded me there is NO WAY IM falling out.
It’s not you start cutting off arteries in couple minutes and most people are to out of shape to get in a better spot. Fall arrest system is what most people use and has to have a good retrieval plan, that most do not. The safety strap for foot hold as the other guy mentioned is a good idea , but more than most likely about 90 percent would not be able to do this with the jelly belly’s. Fall restraint system will keep you from falling so basically as a lineman would use a buck squeeze system that keeps him tight at all times. However this even causes issues also binding and hanging, or possibly it’s fine. If I was going do one I would use the fall restraint system. However I’m not, I climb with green light and make sure I see the climber set in tree and add weight to dig in. I climb slower paying attention and that’s my system. No one should cast a other idea down, it’s really all about your own personal safety and what makes you feel good.
In addition a actual construction harness will have two zippers on each side that has nylon straps. You hook them together and make a basket to stand in. That’s assuming your not knocked out when you hit the tree. Because if so you got about 4 minutes before you start shutting down
If I ever “need” my harness, I would like to think they’ll be at least some part of the climber left on the tree if not all of it. I always carry a sharp knife just in case I need to try and bear hug the tree and cut myself loose. I’m sure it would be difficult, but at least in my control vs a sky, ground, sky view of a descent to Mother Earth.

You see, the points raised in these posts are exactly why I question The Hunting Industry trying to tell people that these harnesses are the way to go.

Hanging suspended from the shoulders, trying to rig that stupid strap to stand in, and then MAYBE be able to TRY and hunch your way down, or trust some one use fall device to keep you from dragging all your teeth out on the tree before you get caught upside down in bamboo vines seems crazy to me. Not to mention all the extra crap you have to keep up with, adjust, and rig.

A pre rigged emergency rappell is simple, safe, controllable, and easy to learn. It was a good bit of fun, too.

Why isn't The Industry pushing that?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You see, the points raised in these posts are exactly why I question The Hunting Industry trying to tell people that these harnesses are the way to go.

Hanging suspended from the shoulders, trying to rig that stupid strap to stand in, and then MAYBE be able to TRY and hunch your way down, or trust some one use fall device to keep you from dragging all your teeth out on the tree before you get caught upside down in bamboo vines seems crazy to me. Not to mention all the extra crap you have to keep up with, adjust, and rig.

A pre rigged emergency rappell is simple, safe, controllable, and easy to learn. It was a good bit of fun, too.

Why isn't The Industry pushing that?
Have you ever met the average deer hunter?

Ray357

AWOL

Good harnesses have a strap/loop to use to climb back in stand.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Have you ever met the average deer hunter?

Yep...and I get your point. Nuff said. That's why it amazes me that The Industry is pushing a product that most people aren't physically able to rescue themselves from.

Rigged right, almost anyone could rappell 15-20 feet...

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Good harnesses have a strap/loop to use to climb back in stand.

The main feature of my own set-up is that it would be all but IMPOSSIBLE to fall out in the first place...

And I gotta wonder how many folks actually practice using that strap...

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The main feature of my own set-up is that it would be all but IMPOSSIBLE to fall out in the first place...

And I gotta wonder how many folks actually practice using that strap...
Why do that when you can use that time planting food plots or spreading corn?

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Yea a strap behind you? Your gonna slam your back into the tree. I have been to several military climbing schools... you want to fall into the rocks (tree) with your arms/hands helping with impact. Also how are you gonna be able to reach the static end of the rope / strap after the fall?... behind you and likely way over your head. The harness if tight is still gonna get loose in a fall. Most guys I see have them very loose already. Even parachute harnesses get loose after shock. I wonder how many guys have tested the harness with a controlled fall? Also I wonder how many guys could even lift themselves to the ground after hanging... that fall is gonna hurt, backwards head injury. I go without. Getting elevated is dangerous. Be careful. Use a climber and face the tree. If you want a harness get a rock climbing harness, fall face first into tree... un hook and slide down tree, like a fire pole.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I know I am going out on a limb here, but here it is...No reason to be any more complicated than this...

Once again, I am NOT telling anybody they should do this. For me, this is it.

Screenshot_20201031-150445.png

Screenshot_20201031-150434.png

I am now 99.99 percent sure I won't fall out of my climber, and if I do I am 105 percent sure I can control my descent back to earth...