Need help with new gas bottle and new heater

Cmp1

BANNED
why would the thermocouple change with the bottle size cmp ? i almost think the valve on the 100lb tank is bad not getting enough flow through it
Maybe it was never set properly, or shifted in shipping,,,,I've seen some weird stuff on some furns,,,,one that comes to mind, had a furn that one burner would only light intermittently 4 of us were over there, I checked for level on the furn,,,,wasn't level? Go figure,,,,

sghoghunter

why would the thermocouple change with the bottle size cmp ? i almost think the valve on the 100lb tank is bad not getting enough flow through it

That’s one of my thoughts too. When I get it empty the manager at TS said he’ll swap it out for me

sghoghunter

Maybe it was never set properly, or shifted in shipping,,,,I've seen some weird stuff on some furns,,,,one that comes to mind, had a furn that one burner would only light intermittently 4 of us were over there, I checked for level on the furn,,,,wasn't level? Go figure,,,,

Explain a lil more about what to check on thermocouple if ya don’t mind. One thing I’m having problems with the thermocouple on and that’s the stovetop. Sometimes it’ll light like it should then next time you have to use a lighter to heat it up

Cmp1

BANNED
Explain a lil more about what to check on thermocouple if ya don’t mind. One thing I’m having problems with the thermocouple on and that’s the stovetop. Sometimes it’ll light like it should then next time you have to use a lighter to heat it up
Really inexpensive, couple bucks,,,,creates a milli volt signal to keep the pilot open,,,,you can measure it if your meter reads milli volts,,,,cheaper just to replace it, but the flame has to hit it good, you can clean them with Emory cloth,,,,

JR1

The 2 stage will provide better pressure control. I ran into the same problem when I switched from 20# to 100#. You can get one at TS or Northern Tool for less than $50. The heater may be vent free but you still need combustion air or the heater will cut off on the low oxygen sensor. Add vents or crack a window. If you have air leaks you may be ok. Also after you do get it working properly it will cut off when the pilot tube gets dirty. You will have to clean it every once in a while. If you have the manual for the heater it will explain the combustion air needed.

sghoghunter

The 2 stage will provide better pressure control. I ran into the same problem when I switched from 20# to 100#. You can get one at TS or Northern Tool for less than $50. The heater may be vent free but you still need combustion air or the heater will cut off on the low oxygen sensor. Add vents or crack a window. If you have air leaks you may be ok. Also after you do get it working properly it will cut off when the pilot tube gets dirty. You will have to clean it every once in a while. If you have the manual for the heater it will explain the combustion air needed.

I just got back from buying a 2 stage regulator at TS and swapping the bottle out for a new one. I think I may just take the bottle to a gas place and get it filled the first time anyway

Cmp1

BANNED
I just got back from buying a 2 stage regulator at TS and swapping the bottle out for a new one. I think I may just take the bottle to a gas place and get it filled the first time anyway
Good idea,,,,I never had an issue with my two burner 30k btu heater,,,,was always worried about the sawdust in the air, it was in my woodshop,,,,got tired of the 20 lb tanks,,,,the 100 was great for my 100k heater too,,,,

bany

Late to the chat. The two stage regulator makes the most sense here. Not filling the new tank originally seemed a bad idea. although the gas dealer may not fill them until gas comes out the bleeder, therefore purging the tank. Also the safety valve in the tank may be bad Or atleast poor. You didn’t mention ice forming around the tank, tank valve, or regulator area.

Cmp1

BANNED
Late to the chat. The two stage regulator makes the most sense here. Not filling the new tank originally seemed a bad idea. although the gas dealer may not fill them until gas comes out the bleeder, therefore purging the tank. Also the safety valve in the tank may be bad Or atleast poor. You didn’t mention ice forming around the tank, tank valve, or regulator area.
I don't think we even had 2 stage regs when I had my setup,,,,
It's something simple going on,,,,

tr21

just a FYI for yall using 100lb tanks. tractor supply will fill them and charges by the gallon, not a flat fill fee. i run my house off a 100lb, but only use it for cooking and to run a wall heater in emergencies. i dont let it completely empty before taking it to get filled so i dont have to purge the lines and hated paying for gas still in the bottle. so now i take it to TS and pay by the gallon.

bany

just a FYI for yall using 100lb tanks. tractor supply will fill them and charges by the gallon, not a flat fill fee. i run my house off a 100lb, but only use it for cooking and to run a wall heater in emergencies. i dont let it completely empty before taking it to get filled so i dont have to purge the lines and hated paying for gas still in the bottle. so now i take it to TS and pay by the gallon.
That’s right! And that’s what everyone filling tanks should be doing. Been a racket for awhile selling tank size not actual weight and the purging thing too probably.

sghoghunter

Not filing the tank full was my choice. One reason I didn’t want it slam full was it’s only going to be use during deer season plus it’d be easier to handle

buckmanmike

100 lb tank does not last long if you use it for heat. Fill it up. Propane does not go bad as long as it does not leak out.
Drivers Propane(in Dawson) sells it by the liquid gallon. Good people.

Bream Pole

So did you solve your problem and what solved it?

tr21

Will be headed to club tomorrow afternoon as soon as I get off work with new two stage regulator,new bottle and will get it filled Saturday morning when we get done hunting
how about a update hoghunter ?