Old single barrels

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The 16 ga. is a C.G. Bonehill made in Birmingham,England over a 120 years ago. Light as a feather, I've shot doves with it. Photos below were by the man who sold it.
The gun with the woodcock is a 1954 Beretta 412 20 ga. I shot spreader loads as the barrel is tighter than Dick's hatband. Only one gun is in photo with birds, Floyd's wasn't. 4 lbs., 13 oz. Both guns in the field, at least in my hands, demonstrate the utility of a second shot. Turkeys are another matter; I only carry single shots in the Spring woods. Gil
beretta doodles.jpgbonehill2.jpgbonehill3.jpg

BASS1FUN

I have a 10ga. single shot that I bought mostly to hunt the field birds in Kansas. I wanted to see what it would do in the Georgia woods last year and with TSS's #9 a gobbler doesn't stand a chance. I shot one a little low at 53 yards and the pellets almost came out on the opposite breast, hoping to make Kansas this year COVID had us locked down last year

Gaswamp

The 16 ga. is a C.G. Bonehill made in Birmingham,England over a 120 years ago. Light as a feather, I've shot doves with it. Photos below were by the man who sold it.
The gun with the woodcock is a 1954 Beretta 412 20 ga. I shot spreader loads as the barrel is tighter than Dick's hatband. Only one gun is in photo with birds, Floyd's wasn't. 4 lbs., 13 oz. Both guns in the field, at least in my hands, demonstrate the utility of a second shot. Turkeys are another matter; I only carry single shots in the Spring woods. Gil
View attachment 1057531View attachment 1057532View attachment 1057533
Gil, u have a nice collection of single shots

High road

I've got a old Iver Johnson 16ga. dad used to take to the turkey shoots when I was a kid. That little gun has a place in my heart, ain't no telling how many turkeys and hams that thing has won. Lite a a feather and kicked like mule. It killed on both ends. Last gobbler I took with it I shot oposite handed and didn't have it against my shoulder good. It's bad when you can still remember the size of the bruise. If the house was to catch on fire it would be one of the things I'd grab 1st the kids, the 16, then my wife. Well seriously it would be the 3rd thing.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Dont have a ancient one but I just got my early 80's New England Firearms Pardner 20 gauge threaded for Rem choke tubes so I am going to tote it this season.
Thats a nice one and the 10g 3 1/2
00 buck was just a tad too much.:ROFLMAO:

KentuckyHeadhunter

I've got an old H&R Topper 20ga that's killed a mess of squirrels and rabbits. Never turkey hunted with it. Its a fixed modified choke so not sure what shell choice or range capabilities are. I'd love to take it back out in the woods again.

Bubba_1122

I hunted a couple of years ago with a .410 Winchester 37 single shot. Killed a very stubborn turkey with it.

I hunted all my teenage years with a 16 gauge 870 Wingmaster. Haven’t shot it in years.

This thread has caused me to think - I have two barrels for that shotgun. Might send one off and have it cut down a little and have screw in chokes cut. That’s be a sentimental and effective turkey gun (I use a 28 gauge Wingmaster with hand loaded TSS now).

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
In 2009 I killed my first turkey with a friends NEF 10 gauge single shot... In 2010 I bought myself a used 12 gauge Remington 870 supermag from another forum member. Every turkey since then has been shot with the 870 except my fall gobbler in Illinois with a crossbow.

Hawken2222

I plan on hunting some with a 10 GA this year. The gun I am hunting with isn’t exactly an antique but I do think the ten gauge is becoming obsolete and I want to take a turkey with it. Back in the 80’s I watched a video of Dick Kirby take a bird with a 10GA and it thought it was pretty neat.

strothershwacker

10 or so years ago I ran into an ol' boy that hunted with an old Remington single shot. He shot 2³/⁴" wal-mart shells and showed me picture after picture of beautiful Tennessee mtn birds he had taken with it. He said if he couldn't get a bird to 25 yards he didn't want 'em. As I've gotten a lil' older, started hunting deer with a stickbow, I been seriously studying on the fixed choke single barrel thing. I know super shells, purpose built .410s and shotgun scopes are all the rage but I really like doing things the old way. My heros growing up had great skill and single shots. I love chasing public land Toms and while I've nothing to prove to anyone, a self imposed limitation just makes a kill that much sweeter. Maybe it's as a good friend of mine says "I'm just not mad at 'em anymore." ? good luck to everyone this season!

Toddmann

I got a couple.

Toddmann