A little Live From The Tree history

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
There's a thread https://forum.gon.com/threads/why-do-people-ask-this.1003282/ running in the trail cams forum right now asking "why someone would ask the world if a deer is a shooter?" I have no issues with the OP wondering why and I dont think I have asked the question or answered the question myself for many years, but times change for folks...

Here's a little story about how my life changed...

Back in 2003 we were all frothing at the mouth over this cool forum called Woodys Campfire. We had only been online for a year or 2 and most of us still on dial up at home and barely able to get quality internet service with cell phones.

About that time I found this cool contraption called a Blackberry that would allow me to post pics and stories on the forums from a tree if I could get service. Me, Gary and Ol May hunting down in Heard County GA used walkie talkies when close enough, but man this Blackberry was a game changer when it worked.

Fast forward to early Dec of that hunting season. I was a youngin at 34 having only killed does and scrub bucks and one young 8 in my life. I am sitting in a climber on an oak flat between planted pines and a cow pasture that evening. Bubba and Ol May were across the pasture on dove stools within radio range. We are shooting the crap about not seeing anything and Ol May might have mentioned that his toddy was pretty good :biggrin2: . I may have been thinking about how good a cold beer would be after dark.

About that time a gorgeous 10 comes onto my oak flat feeding on acorns! I had no idea this beast was gonna change my life and the life of so many others the way it did. I looked him over and man he was so much bigger bodied than anything I had killed. I had seen bigger but not killed bigger. But I was only 2 seasons into hunting with Bubba and May and didnt want to step on their toes. I hit Bubba on the radio and told him I had a 10 on the flat with me feeding. I said he wasnt a giant, but bigger than anything I had shot. Bubba said he didnt care, but hoped I wasnt shooting a baby...Bubba aint changed a bit :bounce:

Then I had a goofy, strange idea.... Earlier in the hunt I had started a thread here about sitting in a late season tree and how pretty it was or whatever. I had also snapped a blurry nasty grainy pic of that 10. So what the heck??? I posted it to the thread and ask folks if they thought I should shoot.

Every last soul hammered back at that moment overwhelmingly saying SHOOOOOTTTTT!!! There was probably 10 or 15 quick replies. Maybe more maybe less, I dont remember. All I remember was that it changed my hunting for life.

That little 10 stayed under me feeding that evening on leftover acorns or briars for about 15 minutes. He gave me the opportunity to snap a pic with my blackberry, cut up with bubba and ol may and post on the thread and upload the pic all before I unleashed the fury on him at about 20 yards.

That was most likely the very 1st ever live pic of a deer from stand loaded on an internet forum. After that I started doing it on every hunt and was calling it View From a Tree.

In 2005 we made the mistake of traveling to TX and that year or the next I changed that name to Live From The Tree.

Except for service related issues, I have shared every single hunt for the last 16 or so years with as many people possible. Anyone who wanted to follow and participate was and is still invited. That has turned into thousands and thousands and thousands across all kinds of platforms and all around the world when you include our deployed military followers. I don't make money off this (other than tax write offs), but it's something that I love doing and so many folks across the globe depend on every year. In life I am not very sociable fella and prefer my alone time, but I guess this is my outlet.

That was the biggest buck I had ever shot in my 1st 16 or so years of hunting and the smallest in the last 18 or so years of hunting, but man I am glad that I posted that day and ask folks' opinions because it for sure changed my life. Was last one I've killed with a rifle too that I remember. Smoker got a few though.

Woody did this little fella up proud! Man I wish Woody and Ol May were still with us :(
10fromstand.JPG

mebuck.jpgjimt.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome man!

specialk

exactly what year did you decide that feet should be included in the story?.......:rofl:

keep at'em....enjoy you sharing your hunts!!

Jim Boyd

Great history!

We will soon feel some crispness in the air and see a little color in the trees.

We will see a decent buck, well after daylight, standing on the edge of a cut cornfield, just looking around. He will be doing this “because he can and because he feels like it“.

Scrapes will be more well tended and when we urinate in them, they will be cleaned out the following day.

Halloween decorations will become the norm.

Bows will be shot. And shot again. And again. And again. “Because we can and because we feel like it”.

Then, finally - that first frost, the ride to the Midwest (some are lucky enough to actually live there!) and that FIRST day in the stand.

Come on Sweet November - and yes, we will be following LFTT because we… well, you already know why.

C2080135-A3B2-454A-85A1-26C2983ED278.jpeg

bany

Thanks for the historic tale JT! Amazing where things have gone since those days.

Meriwether Mike

I remember when that buck was hanging in your home office over off Mars Hill Road. We have come a long ways since then. Looking forward to LFTT again this year. :cool:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
exactly what year did you decide that feet should be included in the story?.......:rofl:

keep at'em....enjoy you sharing your hunts!!

This is the one that started the danged foot issues. It was 173 degrees and hotter than the gates of hades that afternoon and I pulled my boots and socks off to let em breath. Looked down and thought man yeah this is a good post :bounce:

This was 2004
dngitwashot.jpg

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Great history!

We will soon feel some crispness in the air and see a little color in the trees.

We will see a decent buck, well after daylight, standing on the edge of a cut cornfield, just looking around. He will be doing this “because he can and because he feels like it“.

Scrapes will be more well tended and when we urinate in them, they will be cleaned out the following day.

Halloween decorations will become the norm.

Bows will be shot. And shot again. And again. And again. “Because we can and because we feel like it”.

Then, finally - that first frost, the ride to the Midwest (some are lucky enough to actually live there!) and that FIRST day in the stand.

Come on Sweet November - and yes, we will be following LFTT because we… well, you already know why.

View attachment 1108419

Yeah I definitely know why.

BTW speaking of 1st day in the stand. Our season opens Oct 1 but I rarely get in the tree until we leave on the road. About 5 times today customers from here and across the river in IL have walked into my office and ask me when I leave. They are telling me they are already in the woods every weekend etc.

Come on November!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Good read. Here’s to many more LFTT threads. Heck, to turn it up a notch, you could try a live from the tree video stream one day. Something you might want to look into sometime.

:cheers: