Jesus hates religion

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hmmm.....the more I think about it, the more your point makes sense. If you total up the number of miracles performed in the New Testament (not counting differing accounts of the same miracle of course) over a three-year period AND factoring in many of these miracles were performed in a pretty small region and thus the law of averages would dictate that some people saw Jesus perform more than one miracle over the time period, Jesus' "Magical Miracle Tour" should have garnered more secular attention than it did.
That said, perhaps there were written non-biblical accounts of actual miracles performed by Jesus & witnessed by many, but were lost over the years. I hate to beat a dead horse, but the visible "in the flesh" dead saints coming out of their graves when Jesus was crucified was only mentioned in one of the four gospels, which is a big red flag of incredulity to me.
I look at the numbers of witnesses that scripture mentions and when numbers are in the hundreds means more chances there are people who vary in religious, profession, cultural and scholarly backgrounds.

John says Jesus died the day before Passover. Mark says Jesus died after Passover. The authors of the Gospels disagree on when Jesus died. How can that be?

WaltL1

I had an interesting conversation with an old coworker about Christian schools. We were talking about someone at a Christian school getting in trouble for doing something bad, and how there is always surprise expressed by people when they hear of things like that. My coworker said "I remember so many bad kids being sent to a Christian school by their parents in the hopes of straightening them up when I was growing up. But at some point, what you have is a "Christian" building full of bad kids. What do people expect?"
As a teenager several of my friends were basically forced to attend a Catholic high school. I assure you they were not angels. There really wasnt any difference between the Catholic school teens or the public school teens. Except the Catholic school teens had scars on their knuckles from the ruler carrying nuns.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
In his 3 year ministry it gathered enough attention to get him crucified. Imagine if they’d had internet back then……….
Have you ever wondered who else got crucified for similar offenses before and after Jesus?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Have you ever wondered who else got crucified for similar offenses before and after Jesus?
Literally thousands, Jesus’s crime was being labeled King of the Jews. This was viewed as not submitting to Rome. Many nonchristians were crucified for not acknowledging Rome’s absolute authority.

WaltL1

Literally thousands, Jesus’s crime was being labeled King of the Jews. This was viewed as not submitting to Rome. Many nonchristians were crucified for not acknowledging Rome’s absolute authority.
Quite a few Christians Ive talked to were suprised by the fact that crucifiction was a common thing. They thought it was a "special" sort of punishment reserved for Jesus. I was too back when I was a believer and first learned of it.
I guess its because its something you never hear about except in reference to Jesus.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Right, he was crucified for Rebellion against Rome. At that time it was common. They didn't invent crucifixion for him because he did things so out of the ordinary. He wasn't charged for sorcery, or evil magician or anything relating to mystical actions. His fate was left up to his people. The very same ones that were supposedly witnesses to his God like doings. Either such things were commonplace that he didn't stand out or more likely he didn't perform miracles to the extent writers would have us believe.

gordon 2

Quite a few Christians Ive talked to were suprised by the fact that crucifiction was a common thing. They thought it was a "special" sort of punishment reserved for Jesus. I was too back when I was a believer and first learned of it.
I guess its because its something you never hear about except in reference to Jesus.
I suspect that few would have studied Roman crime and punishment in the twentieth century. Most people I have talked to seemed to think it was irrelevant to the cult of the pursuit of happiness or very real need to pay the man and being one paycheck from being broke. Roman history was just not important to all but a rare few. On the other hand it was not a stretch for most who knew that there were two criminals equally crucified with Jesus. I think it would have registered that crucifixion was not an uncommon form of punishment for some crimes.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I like history in its entirety. I’ve read a great deal of history all my life. As I’ve traveled globe for my job I’ve tried to visit historical places to put things I’ve read about in context. Some scriptures describing some person walking between two cities is meaningless until you see the barren desert and the distance traveled.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A common practice with crucifixion was to break the legs. The person then had no leg support leaving the weight on the upper body. This hastened asphyxiation, which is how most died when crucified. Ive never read when this was done to Christ. Hence, he would have suffered longer.

oldfella1962

But there are things that did happen. Things happen today. Somewhere between the view I hold and the view you hold there’s a truth. Maybe Herod killing the firstborn was folklore, maybe it wasn’t……maybe it was a description of his character…..who knows. Is it designed to feed the skeptical? Who knows.

Most Christians don’t rely on those stories for confirmation in what they believe though. They reply on their own personal experience.
Personal experience? Realistically you know that your own experience isn't folklore or poetic license or whatever, so it's more reliable than what others have written. But with all due respect, followers of nearly every religion have personal experiences that can confirm their belief in their religion. In other words, it's a very common facet of religion in general. It seems to me that if all religions have these, then either all religions are real/true, no religions are real/true, or there is one true god, but it reveals itself differently depending on the religion (or every human who can conceive the concept of religion). In the third situation, that would mean that no single religion is any better than any other religion. Something to think about!

oldfella1962

The reality is that absolutely no part of any of those stories has to be true, real, or have actually happened for people to believe in what they believe. The various religions around the world for 10,000 years and their stories is proof of that.

I got no problem with anyone that says I beleive because whether this happened or not it is a good message that I can go along with. But, when people say they believe that the stories are true, then are shown that the major basis for the stories never happened, and then they shrug it off as not being important for truth, or a parable, or a metaphor ..and then continue on using it as truth is a huge problem.
I would say that it's only "a huge problem" when any religion gets powerful enough to enforce their beliefs on secular society. In other words, the very second that separation of church and state is threatened and a theocracy can get going, that's bad, bad news. :(

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I would say that it's only "a huge problem" when any religion gets powerful enough to enforce their beliefs on secular society. In other words, the very second that separation of church and state is threatened and a theocracy can get going, that's bad, bad news. :(
I totally disagree with you. Seperation of church and state has absolutely nothing to do with the practice of religion. The founders escaped a state where church and state were intwined with church able to hold lands and tax. The practice had actually taken root in a few places in the colonies. The abandonment of Juedo Christian practices in public is part of the rot of this nation.

oldfella1962

Absolutely correct, we do however see the result of entrusting both the intellectual and moral education of our children in todays public schools.
I agree to a point: we need to teach our kids (or demonstrate) good morals
ourselves at home. As for intellectual education, unless we can adequately teach our children all the subjects they need to know to a high degree of competency, then we need to send them to public schools, ideally the best we can afford. Nothing wrong with home schooling IF our home-schooling education standards meet or exceed what the kids will get in a public school. Not all public schools are bad - it depends on the neighborhood/county/state you live in. The media only shows us the "woke" maniac schools or the inner-city violent schools, not the normal schools. :huh:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I agree to a point: we need to teach our kids (or demonstrate) good morals
ourselves at home. As for intellectual education, unless we can adequately teach our children all the subjects they need to know to a high degree of competency, then we need to send them to public schools, ideally the best we can afford. Nothing wrong with home schooling IF our home-schooling education standards meet or exceed what the kids will get in a public school. Not all public schools are bad - it depends on the neighborhood/county/state you live in. The media only shows us the "woke" maniac schools or the inner-city violent schools, not the normal schools. :huh:
If you want to discuss that start another thread. I don’t to derail this topic. We differ greatly, which is ok. Demonstrates the libertaw thing is functioning.

oldfella1962

If you want to discuss that start another thread. I don’t to derail this topic. We differ greatly, which is ok. Demonstrates the libertaw thing is functioning.
Agree! I just posted something that really warrants its own thread - I'll delete it (after I save it) in case the subject comes up in another thread. ;)

oldfella1962

As a teenager several of my friends were basically forced to attend a Catholic high school. I assure you they were not angels. There really wasnt any difference between the Catholic school teens or the public school teens. Except the Catholic school teens had scars on their knuckles from the ruler carrying nuns.
A family member of mine teaches at a Catholic school. No more ruler-toting nuns teaching these days, or at least at their school. :LOL: You don't have to be Catholic to teach there or attend. Teachers & students can "opt out" of the religious stuff. Most of the kids are fairly well behaved because their parents are paying out of their own pocket, and they are involved in their kids' progress and behavior and whatnot. But the kids do get a quality education if only because if the kids are running amuck, they cannot learn.
Teachers have to have some control over their class.

WaltL1

A common practice with crucifixion was to break the legs. The person then had no leg support leaving the weight on the upper body. This hastened asphyxiation, which is how most died when crucified. Ive never read when this was done to Christ. Hence, he would have suffered longer.
A pretty grusome way to go for sure. We've made it much more palatable these days.

WaltL1

A family member of mine teaches at a Catholic school. No more ruler-toting nuns teaching these days, or at least at their school. :LOL: You don't have to be Catholic to teach there or attend. Teachers & students can "opt out" of the religious stuff. Most of the kids are fairly well behaved because their parents are paying out of their own pocket, and they are involved in their kids' progress and behavior and whatnot. But the kids do get a quality education if only because if the kids are running amuck, they cannot learn.
Teachers have to have some control over their class.
No more ruler toting nuns?????
My how times have changed :bounce:

WaltL1

Right, he was crucified for Rebellion against Rome. At that time it was common. They didn't invent crucifixion for him because he did things so out of the ordinary. He wasn't charged for sorcery, or evil magician or anything relating to mystical actions. His fate was left up to his people. The very same ones that were supposedly witnesses to his God like doings. Either such things were commonplace that he didn't stand out or more likely he didn't perform miracles to the extent writers would have us believe.
Its a bit odd to me they didnt worry about him miracling himself off the cross and turn them all into lepers or something.
Just stuck him up there like any other common criminal.

WaltL1

Slipping my Christian hat back on for a second.

Those folks missed the point all together. It’s your family, the man is the head of the household and responsible for his family. Quit trying to pass the buck for your failures to someone else. Man up and figure it out, that may involve other resources but not turning over kids to ge remolded.
Not sure I completely agree with sending them to a Christian school as "passing the buck". Can also be just an attempt to change their surroundings and hope that helps where everything else has failed.
Kids/teens actions arent always a result of their upbringing. I'm living proof.