Jesus walked this lonesome valley;. He had to walk it by himself.

Artfuldodger

I was listening to various versions of the Lonesome Valley song. Just looking for some input.
I've always thought that I or we have to walk that lonesome valley for ourselves. At least that is what the song lyrics say.
I often use that song when I'm tasked with a problem, or task, or journey. But now I wonder if I do have to walk that lonesome valley or if Jesus walked it for me.

Maybe God was with Jesus when he walked it and even though he had to walk it, he had his Father. Maybe when I have to walk it, I have his Father as well.

Maybe the song is not even scriptural? All I know is that sometimes it seems like we only have ourselves to get things done. Not that I've ever had an addiction but from what I'm told they have to walk that lonesome valley for themselves. Others and even God can help but the actual journey is theirs.

It's also used for a death in the family.

gordon 2

I was listening to various versions of the Lonesome Valley song. Just looking for some input.
I've always thought that I or we have to walk that lonesome valley for ourselves. At least that is what the song lyrics say.
I often use that song when I'm tasked with a problem, or task, or journey. But now I wonder if I do have to walk that lonesome valley or if Jesus walked it for me.

Maybe God was with Jesus when he walked it and even though he had to walk it, he had his Father. Maybe when I have to walk it, I have his Father as well.

Maybe the song is not even scriptural? All I know is that sometimes it seems like we only have ourselves to get things done. Not that I've ever had an addiction but from what I'm told they have to walk that lonesome valley for themselves. Others and even God can help but the actual journey is theirs.

It's also used for a death in the family.
Paul walks that valley by himself, are we different? And there is a reason why lonely cowboy love songs are true enough to buy the recording.

Peter>>>: To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

Paul>>>: Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.

So my understanding is that we can live a life with some loneliness if we offer it to our Lord as sacrifice and sacrifice for others which can be the price to pay being in His love.

I think the Marines might have a saying that pain is weakness leaving the body. I think spiritually emotional pain is the worldly leaving the soul.

Imagine a man not having our love in Christ to turn towards when he becomes lonely. Perhaps he is far from home, or drunk which is the same thing, and he decides to take comfort in others, and them who sell their love bodily or with substances? These bonds are due money. Tomorrow things start again. And so the downward spiral of spiritual despair.

On the other hand, suffering, real loneliness make many to pray provided they have a friend of hope or even out of a last ditch faith to pray to. Even for a hope in this love :

"....the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”"

and perhaps due an ancient recall:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life"

Perhaps we must suffer spiritually, intellectually and emotionally in a manner like women give birth physically and know pain and out of it increase in love-grace? Perhaps.

Perhaps it is not what we have at all, but where we must go and so purge ourselves of our sins.

"But understand this: If the homeowner had known in which watch of the night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44For this reason, you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour you do not expect."

And then there is this: Sometimes we are lonely for our real selves, the real you that was who you are when you were 19, when you were like David---an innocent in the headlights and trials were relatively few and you walked two inches off the ground. When you were you and it was this real you, that you are now lonely for, that the lord is still calling to him.

Or sometimes God permits the devils to persecute us so that ourselves or others might learn for them how it is we misapply God's love.

Last edited: