Braves 2023 Season Thread

Baroque Brass

Since the all star break, Braves seemed to struggle offensively, leaving men on base game after game. Seems if they’re not hitting homers they don’t score. They tried to make a game of it but couldn’t score when it mattered. I don’t like the Phillies, Harper is arrogant and it looks like Marsh pours 30 weight oil on his head before every game but they are the better team and deserved to advance. Braves had a great season, breaking old records and setting new ones. Wife and I watched most games and even attended one. Maybe in the off season they can find Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux 2.0. They sure need it.

Dawgs and Vandy tomorrow, should be fun. Hope the dawgs we saw last Saturday show up to play.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
From First to Worst once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I wonder how many, “Well if’s”, Snitker’s Comedy Hour will have?

Snitker is a good coach. But he does not have that passion that Bobby Cox had. Bobby had a way of passing that passion to the team when they needed it.

How so? Snit has won just as many rings as Bobby, and he had one of the best pitching trio's that has ever played ball.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I think that we are going to see some sandbagging next season. This is actually bad for baseball fans because you are going to have 162 games of mediocre ball.

This was equivalent to playing great ball during bracket play and then getting an 8am and a 4pm game on Sunday.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don’t like the Phillies, Harper is arrogant and it looks like Marsh pours 30 weight oil on his head before every game but they are the better team and deserved to advance.

Everything about Philadelphia sucks except their baseball team which is a great team but the team mirrors the town and it's people. Philly cheese steaks aren't all that. Anybody can make one. Other than that Philadelphia is a crap hole.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Time to do some rebuilding, especially in the pitching dept. Go D backs.
Pitching definitely needs to be looked at, but that wasn't what killed them in these last few games. Other than game 3, the held them to minimal runs.

The hitting absolutely was garbage. Team average was .186. You can look up the individual stats if needed, but other than Riley, everyone else was flat terrible.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The hitting absolutely was garbage. Team average was .186. You can look up the individual stats if needed, but other than Riley, everyone else was flat terrible.

Those who live by the home run die by the home run. Specifically, lack of it.

BamaGeorgialine

Baseball is a game of streaks more than any other. The Braves streaked into their last World Championship themselves. Some players are just more clutch than others. Phillies players all have that dog in them and it shows. They are arrogant, but I'm one that believes that you need to be. That doesn't bother me. The Braves could use some of that old grit and not the silly dancing that they do.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Phillies players all have that dog in them and it shows.
Yes sir. They are one rank appearing bunch. Mrs. elfiii hates the ground Harper walks on but she tipped her Braves cap to him. It's been hard to live with her the last week. That girl can get madder than a wet hornet and make sailors blush with her cussin' when it comes to the Braves but she'll admit to a good ball club when she sees one.

I'm just glad I can get back to CFB season without all the disruptions on the home front now. She's still gonna mutter under her breath for another week or two. She'll get past this. :bounce:

DannyW

Still processing this turn of events.

The Phillies won. I grudgingly give them that. They out-homered, out-pitched, and generally out-played the Braves. No denying any of that and they deserved advancing.

With that being said, I have suddenly become a huge Arizona fan.

What went wrong? Easy to blame it on the pitching staff but the fact is, with the exception of game 3, their pitching was pretty darn good. In the other 3 games they gave up only 7 total earned runs. That's an ERA of .259.

Hitting was more their problem. And lack of homeruns.

And this playoff format sucks. What else can you say about it when the 5-best teams during the regular season don't even make to the Conference championship? And go a combined 1-13 in the playoffs? What's the point of going all out for 6 months and 162 games when you get bounced out of the playoffs first round?

Winning your division should come with some reward.

Anyway it was still an enjoyable season. And yes, there is a bright future for this bunch of guys.

Last one in the thread be sure to turn out the lights when you leave.

HermanMerman

The Braves pitched good enough to win the series. They scored eight runs in four games. Five of those came in game 2. In the games they lost, they averaged ONE run per game….not a recipe for winning. The offense flat out choked.

BamaGeorgialine

Yes sir. They are one rank appearing bunch. Mrs. elfiii hates the ground Harper walks on but she tipped her Braves cap to him. It's been hard to live with her the last week. That girl can get madder than a wet hornet and make sailors blush with her cussin' when it comes to the Braves but she'll admit to a good ball club when she sees one.

I'm just glad I can get back to CFB season without all the disruptions on the home front now. She's still gonna mutter under her breath for another week or two. She'll get past this. :bounce:
Sounds like you hit the jackpot and got a good one! My wife watches the games with me as well, and she cracks me up when she gets mad. I've tried to video her at times, but she won't let me. I've got friends that say that their wife gets mad if they watch a game. Her name would be ex wife. There's always some kind of ball game on at my house. I mean OUR house

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you hit the jackpot and got a good one! My wife watches the games with me as well, and she cracks me up when she gets mad. I've tried to video her at times, but she won't let me. I've got friends that say that their wife gets mad if they watch a game. Her name would be ex wife. There's always some kind of ball game on at my house. I mean OUR house

Mine gets so mad she'll change the channel for about 3 minutes. I've learned to either keep my mouth shut or go watch the game on another TV. :bounce:

drhunter1

My opinion is that Snit made some tactical blunders and it started from the first game. He felt some imaginary match up threat and screwed with the line up? Then he pitched to Harper in game three with a base open? The one thing you don’t do is let “that guy” beat you. He wouldn’t bunt runners over with no outs and a team struggling to score runs or even hit the ball.

It was a very Bobby Cox like post season managerial performance. It never seemed like he had the right answers at the right time. Falling in love with the long ball is a recipe for disaster IMO.

turkeykirk

Once again I fell for the Braves . Hope I learn my lesson this time. :biggrin3:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Good pitching has always beat good hitting. The Braves are, unfortunately, playing second fiddle in the pitching department. Our ace has a ton of strikeouts but also gives up a ton of long balls.
I think Strider needs to add another pitch during the offseason. They were sitting on the slider last night and he hung a couple right down Broadway.

Goatman70

Would've helped if they didn't strand so many runners. Seems like they needed 2 outs to get anything moving. Kudos to the Phil's....still not pulling for them

Resica

Everything about Philadelphia sucks except their baseball team which is a great team but the team mirrors the town and it's people. Philly cheese steaks aren't all that. Anybody can make one. Other than that Philadelphia is a crap hole.
Stop! Hateful man!

Resica

You'd like him if he played for you!