Problem

ddd-shooter

Theodicy Problem.
God is all-powerful.
God is good.
There is evil in the world.

Am I the only one on this board who believes God yielded his will on earth for our right to choose?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Theodicy Problem.
God is all-powerful.
God is good.

Am I the only one on this board who believes God yielded his will on earth for our right to choose?

To choose how to serve God??? I disagree.

To choose to serve God or not??? I agree.

williew

GOD DOES EXIST ,He died on the cross so we could live,He has done great things in me and my husbands life,He will never leave you or deceive you.God is awsome////////////

ddd-shooter

GOD DOES EXIST ,He died on the cross so we could live,He has done great things in me and my husbands life,He will never leave you or deceive you.God is awsome////////////

I never doubted the existence of God...
Just wondering how YOU deal with the problem

williew

There is no problem, all you have to do is ask god to come into your heart as your lord and savor and live by his word,i know you never doubet his existence.

Huntinfool

Nothing in that statement means that he stopped being all-powerful.

I'm not sure the statement "yielded his will" is accurate. But I know what you're getting at. Yes, he gave us the power to reject him. But that does not in any way mean that he stopped being all powerful at that moment.

I can force my children to do anything.....but I sometimes choose to let them make a decision. That does not mean I cannot still force them to do what I want if I choose.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Theodicy Problem.
God is all-powerful.
God is good.

Yes, you have a right to choose what you do or don't do.

Here is a good article on Theodicy
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14569a.htm

A little excerpt:

For one thing should not be forgotten, namely, that all our cognition of God is incomplete and analogous, that is, is formed from notions that we have deduced from created things. Hence it is that much remains obscure to us, as for instance, how God's immutability harmonizes with His freedom, and how He knows the future. But the inadequacy of our knowledge does not justify the assertion of the Agnostic that God is unknowable and that consequently any attempt such as theodicy makes to reason about His attributes and our relations to Him is foredoomed to failure.

Double Barrel BB

This best explains my stance....

Quote from AW Pink:

The "Sovereignty of God." What do we mean by this expression? We mean the SUPREMACY of God, the KINGSHIP of God, the GODHOOD of God. To say that God is sovereign is to declare that GOD IS GOD! To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the Most High, "doing according to His will in the army of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth, so that none can stay His hand or say unto Him what doest Thou? (Dan. 4:35), To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the Almighty, the possessor of all power in heaven and earth so that none can defeat His counsels, thwart His purpose, nor resist His will (Psa. 115:3). To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is "the governor among the nations" (Psa. 22:28), setting, up kingdoms, overthrowing empires, and determining the course of dynasties as pleases Him best. To say that God is sovereign is to declare that He is the "only potentate, the King of kings, and the Lord of lords" (I Tim. 6:15). Such is the God of the Bible.

DB BB

rjcruiser

I can force my children to do anything.....but I sometimes choose to let them make a decision. That does not mean I cannot still force them to do what I want if I choose.

Wait till they get a bit older and you'll realize that you can't force your children to do what you want.;)

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Wait till they get a bit older and you'll realize that you can't force your children to do what you want.;)

...like not riding 3 Wheelers:whip::bounce:

ddd-shooter

Well, I have a hard time believing God controls everything that takes place on earth.
Did Jesus not refer to the 'prince of this world'-Satan?
Didn't God give Adam and Eve dominion over the earth?
Didn't Jesus say "All power I give to thee?"

rjcruiser

...like not riding 3 Wheelers:whip::bounce:

:offtopic:

That was one benefit my parents had when I was growing up. I grew up in California and you can't ride them out there. They had the govt on their side with that one.:D

That is why I love Georgia. I can ride 3 wheelers and own ebr's.;)

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Well, I have a hard time believing God controls everything that takes place on earth.

Look at God as a parent and all of humanity, the children who moved out of the house. You have free will to do what you want, yet you must still suffer the consequences (both positive and negative) for your actions. You have the ability to say "no" to the bad things, but do you have the "will" to follow through?

rjcruiser

Look at God as a parent and all of humanity, the children who moved out of the house. You have free will to do what you want, yet you must still suffer the consequences (both positive and negative) for your actions. You have the ability to say "no" to the bad things, but do you have the "will" to follow through?

Or think of it this way.

God gave free will to Adam and Eve. We all know what they chose....sin.

Now...everyone is stained by that sin. According to Rom 10, we can't choose anything other than evil....unless the Holy Spirit makes us alive in Him.

R

redneckcamo

Theodicy Problem.
God is all-powerful.
God is good.

no you are not !

Or think of it this way.

God gave free will to Adam and Eve. We all know what they chose....sin.

Now...everyone is stained by that sin. According to Rom 10, we can't choose anything other than evil....unless the Holy Spirit makes us alive in Him.
pretty good answer rite there :cool:

ddd-shooter

Psalm 8:

4What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

5For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

6Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

williew

Read Psalms 55verse 22-Cast thy burden upon the Lord,and He shall sustaine thee. He shall never suffer the righetous to be moved.

ddd-shooter

willie-
I am referring to the fact that God is all-powerful and all knowing and ever-present; and yet there is evil in the world.
Some say that not one person can do anything outside of the will of God. I have heard it said that God is absolutely in charge of everything on the earth-if that is so, God is in charge of the evil on the earth.

rjcruiser

willie-
I am referring to the fact that God is all-powerful and all knowing and ever-present; and yet there is evil in the world.
Some say that not one person can do anything outside of the will of God. I have heard it said that God is absolutely in charge of everything on the earth-if that is so, God is in charge of the evil on the earth.

Read the book of Job. I think that will answer your question on how and "Why Bad things happen to Good People."