Anybody thinking about going back to lead shot

icdedturkes

My biggest hitch to going back to lead is the love of carrying the 20 gauge.. I wanna be able to kill birds too the range I deem within my ethical standards and I have never found a lead/choke combo in the 20 that will do that..

If I could find a lead load to do so, I would strongly consider it.

Steven Farr

First of all, it is hard to justify EVER shooting at a turkey from 60yds with any shell, but if you are doing it with lead you ARE wounding (usually called a "miss") more than you are killing. Physics can't just be ignored.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with lead as long as shots are taken at proper ranges and the shooter knows what his gun/shell is capable of. Anyone bragging about killing them with lead at 60 is showing something about themselves that I wouldn't want folks to know if it were me.

First of all, I never said I was shooting turkeys at 60 yards.

Second of all, Do you ever think that maybe folks overthink every aspect of turkey hunting? I mean how on earth did people kill turkeys before the new shells, camo, chokes etc?

Now I use the best chokes money can buy and shoot as much HTL as I do lead but I killed a truckload of turkeys before HTL loads were available and I haven't noticed an increase in my success since their introduction.

I hope I didn't lose any forum cred for this post....it would crush me

Killdee

First of all, it is hard to justify EVER shooting at a turkey from 60yds with any shell, but if you are doing it with lead you ARE wounding (usually called a "miss") more than you are killing. Physics can't just be ignored.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with lead as long as shots are taken at proper ranges and the shooter knows what his gun/shell is capable of. Anyone bragging about killing them with lead at 60 is showing something about themselves that I wouldn't want folks to know if it were me.

:cheers: Also agree^

Yes, people killed turkeys for generations with lead, people also used to use 30-35 yards for their maximum shot standard. If I had not switched to a 20, I too would be perfectly comfortable in shooting the 12 gauge 2oz #6 cc Federals I shot and easily killed turkeys with for many years but not much over 40 yards.

Mark K

Banned
People killed turkeys with rifles back in the day. They were smart enough to know the limitations! I'm sure the Easterns I killed last year could have been killed with dove loads. My son and I figured the farthest Eastern was at 40 yards and it was part of a double kill. All the rest were no more than 20 yards.

But here's where my 3.5" Hevi13 #7's come into play. OUT OF STATE HUNTING TRIPS. I don't want to travel 500-800 miles away and only be able to call that turkey into 40 yards and not be able to make the shot or have the confidence to make the shot!! I want the best shell out there for my gun and range!! A lot of planning goes into a turkey season. A lot of money goes into licenses, gas, food, lodging, logistics, airfare, etc...the last thing I want to worry about, with that Merriam or Rio hung up at 45 yards, is I wish I had spent a little extra and bought the best shell out there!!!

hawglips

Banned
I got a phone call from one of those polling survey outfits (Public Policy I think) on Saturday, and asked me a whole bunch of questions about how I felt about the government prohibitting the use of lead in shotgun and rifle ammunition.

It's only a matter of time before we'll be like some of the other countries (NZ, Norway, etc) that have outlawed lead.

Gadget

I got a phone call from one of those polling survey outfits (Public Policy I think) on Saturday, and asked me a whole bunch of questions about how I felt about the government prohibitting the use of lead in shotgun and rifle ammunition.

It's only a matter of time before we'll be like some of the other countries (NZ, Norway, etc) that have outlawed lead.

Yep I believe your right, in few years this topic will be dead....... then it will be Steel vs tungsten....:bounce:

01Foreman400

Staff member
Yep I believe your right, in few years this topic will be dead....... then it will be Steel vs tungsten....:bounce:

By that point most of these guys will be shooting steel.

Take my advice stock-up on your favorite ammo now. Ammo is not getting any cheaper and will only increase in price.

hawglips

Banned

I bet we'll see more and more tungsten and other non-toxic alloys as companies attempt to offer cheaper options once lead starts going by the wayside.

Gaswamp

Second of all, Do you ever think that maybe folks overthink every aspect of turkey hunting? I mean how on earth did people kill turkeys before the new shells, camo, chokes etc?

Now I use the best chokes money can buy and shoot as much HTL as I do lead but I killed a truckload of turkeys before HTL loads were available and I haven't noticed an increase in my success since their introduction.

you gained credibility with me but don't know if that helps or hurts you.

buckpasser

They used lead only because that was the best product available. Do you use one of those fancy "automobiles"? If so, you are overthinking transportation. I still ride to work on a horse and buggy. Sometimes I just walk if my horse is tired. Beat that!

Randy

If I can't get them within 40 yards I feel like I have not done my part. Not saying that is for everyone. Just the way I feel.

cowhornedspike

Amazingly one well known heavier than lead company is already selling mostly steel loads and promoting them as turkey loads.:crazy:

Of course this same company also puts a few #5 shot in a shell mixed with other smaller shot and then promotes it as a 75 yard killer. double:crazy:

Both of these seem to me to be about as unethical as shooting at a 60yd turkey with lead but I have yet to see anyone question their advertising ethics.

Steven Farr

They used lead only because that was the best product available. Do you use one of those fancy "automobiles"? If so, you are overthinking transportation. I still ride to work on a horse and buggy. Sometimes I just walk if my horse is tired. Beat that!

Apples and oranges comparison. Camry vs Corvette would be more in lines of what I am referring to. Both get the task of driving accomplished, but they do it a different way. I have Hevi, Nitros and Lead turkey loads....all 3 kill, some just kill with more pellets:cheers:

All I am saying is to state that you are doing a turkey a disservice by using lead or are being unethical is not exactly true

cowhornedspike

Where have you been

Guess I have just missed it then.??

All I am saying is to state that you are doing a turkey a disservice by using lead or are being unethical is not exactly true

Can't speak for him but I didn't say it is unethical as long as the shot is within the range and capability of your gun/shell combo having a 100% clean kill pattern and penetration.

I don't believe there are many who can show that with lead at 50 or beyond so if they are shooting beyond their guns ethical range then it is ... uh... unethical.

Steven Farr

Can't speak for him but I didn't say it is unethical as long as the shot is within the range and capability of your gun/shell combo having a 100% clean kill pattern and penetration.

I don't believe there are many who can show that with lead at 50 or beyond so if they are shooting beyond their guns ethical range then it is ... uh... unethical.

I agree 100%. Shooting beyond the guns's ethical range is certainly unethical and just plain...well stupid and that applies to any shell that you may load into it:cheers: